If you don't Silver Stack you will be left behind

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by SunriseCoins, Mar 22, 2015.

?

Silver or Fiat which one wins in the long run?

This poll will close on Mar 22, 2045 at 4:18 AM.
  1. Silver

75.5%
  2. Fiat

24.5%
  1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

My take is that a "good investment" is something that yields a substantial percentage over time, whether that's from utility, income, price appreciation, or something else.

"How much do you mean?" I'd love to have all my money in "good investments"; I'm not rich, but I've been saving for a long time at this point, so that would amount to quite a bit of silver. But it's pretty hard to be sure what's going to be a "good investment" other than in hindsight, and so it's a good idea to spread your money around.

Most of the mainstream advice I've seen says to have just a few percent of your net worth in precious metals. Lots of folks here recommend (and practice) putting a much higher percentage into PM, but after the last few years, you don't need a very long memory to understand the risk that entails.

bear32211 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

I don't understand why you have a problem with the point. It is common for stackers to point out that all fiat currencies become worthless, which directly implies the holder of that currency loses out, but that is far from the truth and is very misleading. I certainly proved it by showing the French Franc as an example. No one lost their money, it was just converted to Euros. in addition there are money other currencies that have "come and gone" but the holder did not lose anything. So what exactly does not make sense??? The currency is currently worthless, but no one got caught holding the bag. It seems to me you just don't like someone poking holes is one of the stackers "False Pillars"

In addition, you attack the point with totally unrelated issues. No one's saying that folks NEVER lose out when a currency becomes worthless, just not ALWAYS. When you do that, as I said, it is nothing more than drivel and you know it.

bear32211 likes this.
  4. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

When you hear what a great investment silver is, it is very important to understand that statement is almost always coming from folks who are actually very poor investors who have only lost money during their investment career. The folks who actually make money will tell you things more in line with silver better as a hedge, or a vehicle to preserve some purchasing.

bear32211 likes this.
  5. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

No one lost out when the Franc coverted to the Euro? Everyone's Euros were worth the same or more when they converted--including Germany?

6. longnine009

Got any data to prove that?

7. re-collect

re-collect Active Member

The biggest hindrance to investing in silver is the huge premiums the retailers normally sell at. I buy silver on occasion, but I look for the smallest mark-up offered.

bear32211 likes this.
  8. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

Absolutely, I just purchased 5 1 oz. rounds for .49 over market value and free shipping because I've been a frequent customer. Not much but every little bit helps.

9. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Oh yeah, plenty. Just read the old posts.

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  10. longnine009

Remember that answer mike.

11. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

The price of silver seems to be jumping around a bit so far this Sunday. I wonder if it will hold, or will it tank again?

bear32211 likes this.
  12. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

I assume that 'tank' meaning it would drop close to $10 an ounce. If so I keep buying. World markets seems to be at a point where conflict dominates decisions on price. Oil prices rise because of issues in the gulf, thus the rise. I'm curious as to what the next crisis will bring.

Revi likes this.
  13. sgt23

sgt23 Active Member

No, gas went up because we have been slowly switching to the summer formula. That usually causes gas to go up about twenty-five to fifty over the normal price. The actual price of regular gas has probably went up about fifteen to twenty cents.

Revi likes this.
  14. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

The houthi rebels and all the instability in the Middle East has got the oil markets riled, but the imminent peak of oil production will put oil out of reach of most people pretty soon. Meanwhile silver is jumping up and down wildly this morning. It's still above where it was last Friday.

15. longnine009

Why? If the price of oil reaches a certain point there should more fracking.

16. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

17. Spud Koolzip

Spud Koolzip Member

Four years ago, silver was going for $33/oz. These days it's about half that.
    How's that investment/fetish working out for you?

18. longnine009

Very profound observation. Can you fascinate us with a wallstreet infocomercial now?

19. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Correct. €1 was 6.55957 FRF (redemption periods ended in Feb'2005 for coins and Feb'2012 for notes), and has been 1.95583 DEM (unlimited redemption period) since Jan'1999. A couple of years ago, some argued that the euro entry rate assigned to the Dutch gulden (NLG) in 1998 should have been higher. But I doubt that the gold and silver bugs here will care about such details. ;)

Christian

20. longnine009

Thanks but sorry. I'm not buying the "everyone wins" keynesian wet dream. I don't believe anyone can receive an unearned benefit without someone else paying the cost, somehow, somewhere, sooner or later.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  21. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

Silver got a smack down last night some time. Back to $17.40, and we are going to see if there really is a return to the bull, or if the bear is back!

Draft saved Draft deleted