If I buy silver what would be best to get?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Dilly dollar, Apr 19, 2015.

1. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Did you notice they also sell BAGS of (proof) silver quarters in the $14 to $15 range? Think of all the proof sets that were broken up to get bag quantities - amazing!

jlogan likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

If the silver dollars are morgans and peace and they aren't complete culls $18 is a good price. Everything else on that list is overpriced though, you can find much better deals online.

Check out Provident Metals, JmBullion, SdBullion, Apmex to get an idea what competitive prices are. (around 13X face for 90% silver)

medoraman likes this.
  4. Murphys Mike

Murphys Mike Member

If we all only knew the future. Best to collect or stack what you can afford and like. All silver has value but the person who said what is easy to sell is on it. Buy anything you can get a deal on.

5. coin_collecter_612

coin_collecter_612 New Member

i would do quarters unless you want more quanity so then dimes or nickles

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

They aren't high on my list, either. If I saw someone advertising "US 90% Silver Dollars" at $18 each, without specifying Morgan and/or Peace, modern commems are what I'd expect to get -- and I wouldn't buy at that price.

7. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

I agree. I get my 90% junk at 12X face...paying 18X is simply too much of a cut. JMHO.

8. Dilly dollar

Dilly dollar Active Member

At a flea market I can get junky silver dollars. I bought all five and ther from 1922 to 1924.

9. doug5353

For people still curious about examples, MCM is selling Silver Buffalos through eBay, for $20.98 delivered - today. The usual breathless pitch from eBay, of course. I don't know if that's a high or low price, as I do not follow Mint bullion coins.

10. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

I think you would do okay with any of the ones you named. I would stay away from bullion, especially anything that is dateless (bars and rounds).

Dilly dollar likes this.
  11. Dilly dollar

I get it. Rounds and bars go with the current price

12. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

I would say the biggest bang for your buck is coins that might have some numismatic value in the near future, but that can be gotten at close to spot right now. Things that come to mind are war nickels, standing lib quarters, Walking lib halves and even Franklins. They are around, and right now can be bought. Look around a little.

Endeavor likes this.
  13. Dilly dollar

Thanks for your help

Revi likes this.
  14. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I have bought a lot of junk in my day. Today, though, I like your logic but think it might be more items like current year pandas and other popular "bullion" series. I bought.The new spider coin for my son, and am thinking of putting a roll away as I think they might have long term appeal.

I would stay away from Canada coins though. Way too many milk spots to ruin the coins. I went through a bunch the other day, and just lots of the 2015'same were milky. Canada better get their act together, Australia has much higher quality.

15. doug5353

The "new" factor supporting Chris' strategy -- outfits like Provident, MCM, and Apmex are having an ever-increasing number of "sales" via eBay, as they have found out that cuts their marketing costs to the bone, and no doubt eBay is making them sweet deals to opt-in.

The "sales" are often, but not always, foreign bullion coins too, and I like the Panda idea, but will NOT pay the normal premium. I wouldn't object to diversifying for the next six months and adding some foreign bullion, but only when it's at fire-sale prices.

16. Dilly dollar

Why do they get milk spots both of mine did?

17. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I believe it's cleaner used on their planchets. But overall just poor manufacturing practices. I am sure there are ways to minimize or eliminate the issue, but for some reason they haven't. It's not just maple leaves, but all silver from them.

18. Dilly dollar

Usually

19. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

I like some Canadian, but keep in mind that from the early 1900's until 1967 their coins were 80% silver, not 90% like US coins. They can be a good deal, though if you keep their silver content in mind. I really like getting Newfie halves and quarters if I can find them.

20. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I buy a fair bit of world silver. It's nice because a lot of US collectors won't touch it so sometimes you get a deal. But it's harder to sell because there is the differing amount of silver content from country to country. Just make sure to do your research.

21. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

I like getting some kind of cool world silver at spot because they don't know what it is. I have gotten some amazing coins that way. The older the better, in my opinion.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted