If I buy silver what would be best to get?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Dilly dollar, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Dilly dollar

Dilly dollar Active Member

I can buy silver bullion in different forms and I was wondering what the best deal would be.

Silver dimes 1.80$ each
    Silver quarters 3.75$ each
    Silver half dollars 8.00$ each
    Silver dollars 18.00$ each
    and last but not least silver rounds 20$ each.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jaredbd

Jaredbd Active Member

Silver Dollars @ 18.00 each. Silver dollars should be worth more than 18. At least I am pretty sure.

Endeavor likes this.
  4. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

where are you getting silver dollars for 18 dollars each?

Spud Koolzip, Endeavor and Jaredbd like this.
  5. Jaredbd

Jaredbd Active Member

I know right. I want silver dollars at 18 a pop.

Endeavor likes this.
  6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

http://www.coinflation.com/ is your friend.

Doing a (very) little bit of math, we see that your dimes price is 18 times face value, quarters price is 15 times face, halves price is 16 times face. Dollars are a bit different; they have proportionally more silver (about 7% more) per dollar than the smaller change, and tend to trade at more of a premium than that.

From the choices you've listed, I'd prefer the quarters or halves, with the dimes a distant last place -- dimes carry less of a premium than quarters or halves, from what I've seen.

7. -jeffB

That's not out of line for common modern commemorative dollars, but yeah, you'd have to look long and hard to find Morgans at that price, and even Peace dollars are usually higher.

8. Jaredbd

Jaredbd Active Member

I was not aware there were modern silver dollars. o_O

9. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

Wait for a special price (1 oz Rounds) from Silvertown.

10. -jeffB

11. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

My local shop sells 90% silver coins at 13x to 13.5x face. 18x is charging a bit much. ;)

Circulated Morgan/Peace Dollars are $22 to $23 each too.

Jason Hoffpauir likes this.
  12. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

13. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Gotta know your goals first:
    Do you want to go 100% numismatist? Price-wise in the middle, with some numismatic value if you're lucky? A pure stacker, as many ounces as you can get for $X?

Holding period, years and years.
    Holding period, until silver's $30/ounce.
    Holding period, until silver's $25/ounce.

The easiest silver to sell and use, down the line?

All these factors have a bearing on your decision (and our advice).

xCoin-Hoarder'92x likes this.
  14. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

Buy low, sell high. That's my goal. Silver is a slow mover, chances are you won't miss an opportunity. I'm waiting for $40-45 prices to return.

Dimes, quarters, and halves are recognized by everybody and these in my opinion are the easiest coins to liquidate, among bullion of course.

Gilbert likes this.
  15. doug5353

If I were buying to trade silver, I'd buy nothing but $50 bags of dimes. Chances are good they're unsearched, even from a coin shop; dealers don't have time to plow through them.

The set of Mercury dimes I made up for fun is now missing only the 1916-D and 1921-D; found a so-so 1921, and most from 1938-on are AU sliders.

Also 20-30 Barbers, four 1931-S, and about a dozen Canadian. That's searching an estimated $2500 face value over the last three years.

I don't store them in tubes, that's an unnecessary expense. I use heavy duty one quart zipper freezer bags for each $50 worth. Works fine, and they're ready to dump and count by hand or machine, depending.

Gilbert likes this.
  16. silverbullion

silverbullion Active Member

I would go for American Silver Eagles. I don't know what the situation is at your end of the world, but here in South Africa dealers pay spot minus 30% for 'junk silver', but healthy premiums when it comes to ASEs.

17. doug5353

Well, "South Africa" changes everything. Nobody here except you knows what's going on. If "Dilly Dollar" isn't from South Africa, then the advice won't mean much to him either. What's your junk silver -- crowns, half crowns, florins, sixpence, threepence? I'd be buying nicer pieces for their numismatic value, as many dates were low mintage and in generally well-circulated condition; same for Rhodesian silver.

South Africa must be hurting from low gold prices and the long miners' strike, plus the rand's at a 10-year low against the dollar, even including its spike at the end of 2008.

How do local dealers feel about Brittania bullion coins?

18. silverbullion

silverbullion Active Member

Yes, I've given South Africa a mention for perspective. What are dealers willing to pay for 'junk silver' in the States versus American Silver Eagles?

I previously owned 'junk silver' from the States (dimes and what have you), South Africa (the pieces you mentioned) and even of Great Britain. I have always tried to maintain a balance between at spot or close to spot pieces and coins with numismatic value. My latest plan is to buy mostly ASE bullion coins and the balance in Kruger 1 Pond gold coins. However, if I see something else that I really like, I will definitely buy it if I can afford to do so.

The mines are hurting at the moment on the back of lower commodity prices, including gold mines, but it is not all bad, especially considering that many of them earn foreign currency in the form of USD. I mean a dollar can buy 12 ZAR today, while there was a time in history when 1 ZAR could buy 2 USD. That was however a very long time ago.

I've never really sold Brittania bullion coins to local dealers, but they will most likely buy those at spot or just North of it if you're a nice guy. Otherwise they will most likely pay less than spot for it.

19. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

I would go for Silver Eagles personally, I can get them for $20 a pop. (But I collect only graded SE's)

20. doug5353

If you will visit the www.apmex.com website, they post buy prices along side their retail prices, and you can track trends very closely. Apmex makes "deals" with eBay periodically, with lower prices, free shipping, and other benefits.

On a day-to-day basis, www.providentmetals.com is often a bit cheaper.

Tinpot likes this.
  21. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

Tinpot likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted