If goldcollector did rip off another member...

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by myownprivy, Jun 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Good Cents

Good Cents Well-Known Member

The site owner(s) are clearly not willing to boot members for sales or trade disputes.

You can start a petition, maybe if enough active members sign it they would rethink their policy. Maybe not.

You can threaten to leave the site in your petition. If enough members are willing to leave the site for this, maybe the owner(s) would rethink their policy. Maybe not.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Brian Calvert

Brian Calvert Active Member

You are saying that even if several MODS, and lets say 5 GREAT known Forum members write that a guy ripped off another member they would not make a move ?
    Other sites, fishing, truck, etc. I have seen it done... Just better for the Harmony of site... Not really a good thing to let a known crook onto your property.

4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Guys... They aren’t Ebay. There are a few dedicated fellows that run interference here on a voluntary basis. We are fortunate that they allow us a place where we can use our best judgment and do coin deals...... Think of it like the want ads in your local newspaper. If you purchase a car that falls apart, the newspaper has no skin in the game. They cannot moderate those deals..... Here’s my fear. The forum staff has made noise in the past about eliminating that section. If we keep on about this that just may happen. Personally I have made some good deals and made even better friends via the buy/sell forum and I would hate to see it go. I would suggest we stop making suggestions to the forum on how they run the buy/sell section lest we lose those privileges altogether.

5. Good Cents

I'm just saying that I have no idea what they would or would not do.

EDIT: I retracted the rest of this post based upon Randy's post.

Please do not remove the B/S/T pages. They are really a great thing.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  6. Good Cents

Any tips about how you went about making sure you wouldn't get ripped off when doing a Buy/Sell/Trade ?

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Well no, frankly I don't...... I been a businessman my whole life. I am an old fashioned businessman. I would much prefer shaking your hand than signing your contract.... That said, I have entered into a few poor deals in my lifetime. But fortunately my gut instinct has proven well for me. I have made some sizable deals on the buy forum. I spend some time trading PM's with the individual I am trading with. I develop a rapport and close the deal. I have had only one deal I backed out of. A young man had some confederate bills. Fellow wanted me to mail him cash up front then changed addresses twice. Even though it was a rather small deal, it felt shady and I politely declined....... Thing is, it's just like any deal you enter into. You arm yourself with your best information and move forward.

Heavymetal, Hookman, Garlicus and 2 others like this.
  8. Good Cents

Sounds like good advice.

I also go by my gut instincts. And communication is very important to me. Someone who can't put 2 words together I'm not very keen on doing business with.

On this forum, if someone has posted very few messages and/or been a member for less than a year, I wouldn't do business with them.

I would also read their messages to see what kind of person they are.

A reading of goldcollector's messages would have revealed that he belittles others and talks trash about things he doesn't like. That would likely make me stay away from doing business with him. I like doing business with decent people. And decent people don't need to belittle others or talk trash on a collectors forum (this isn't a card game or a ball game).

Hookman and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  9. Dug13

Dug13 Well-Known Member

I’m a member of Friendly Metal Detecting Forum and they have a feedback feature called iTrader.
    It’s a very simple feature that allows the buyer/seller to leave Positive/Neutral/Negative for each transaction. If you receive feedback that is Negative, you are listed in the “Hall of Shame”.

10. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Easily abused.

11. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

These systems are generally pretty effective if you believe the observing public who reads the posts are free thinking enough to be able to determine for themselves based on the evidence presented who was actually wrong. (It's why trial by jury in real life works, for example).

I believe the public is thoughtful enough to be able to determine right from wrong on internet forums. However, it's a moot point because this board is so over the top concerned about liability that they likely would not utilize such a system because it could open them up to lawsuits for allowing slanderous/defamatory statements to be posted against other members.

That's why people like me will not accuse goldcollector of wrong doing, because I both don't actually know if he ripped off garlicus, but more importantly because I know that if I did accuse him of that behavior this board would have a legitimate reason to delete my posts. I don't want my posts to be deleted. I want other members to know that goldcollector is accused of wrong doing and is unwilling to address those charges.

So, what I can do is state the facts in every thread goldcollector frequests and repeat that 1) he is accused by another member of bad trading and 2) he is unwilling to address those charges. That should give due warning to the rest of the forum. And is VERY telling that since I started this thread goldcollector has not logged into the forum.

Just stating the facts.
    And that is what we all should be doing if the board is unwilling to implement or allow a more effective process of moderating transactions or allow a feedback system.

12. Good Cents

Under the circumstances this seems to be the best way to deal with the issue.

13. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I feel that a large percentage of members also have used eBay and have an account there. There is a subforum in the same group as the "For Sale" groups where members can list auctions they are running elsewhere, especially eBay. You can list your auction or for sale ( fixed price) there and have eBay's protection covering you in case something goes wrong. Yes I know that one has to pay fees for the process, but it something does go wrong, it is much, much easier to get a refund than using CT with a non co-operating member. Unless I know a member for more than 5 years and always saw them as honorable , I would not deal with them until I did. Remember to read the Auction rules carefully. There are also limits to listings quantity and time.
    Just a suggestion, Jim

-jeffB likes this.
  14. Mr Roots

Mr Roots Underneath The Bridge

If I wanted to deal with one of you I would just take this mask off....I could prove to any of you the amount of volunteer work I’ve done over the last 10 years and link you to a site where I’m still doing it under my real name.....and the person I’m dealing with, well they better send me pictures of their kids and let me know where their wife works and I’ll know the deal will be great.

15. R_rabbit

R_rabbit Well-Known Member

:)
    Imho, all I can say is watch out for Karma!

Garlicus likes this.
  16. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

There are enough honest folks here, on eBay and among the scores of coin dealers that no one really needs to take an undue risk.

R_rabbit likes this.
  17. Brian Calvert

Brian Calvert Active Member

To be honest, it takes a lot of ignorance to allow people to talk about you where you can see it plain as day and not say a word. As if the chat isnt there at all.
    Like being at a coin show and as a guy walks down thru there everyone is pointing at him calling him a fraud selling fake coins, he heads to the very last table and strikes up a conversation.
    When that dont work he stands right outside of the front door trying to peddle trash and as each person leaves calling him a name he ignores it and smiles.

Good Cents likes this.
  18. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Exactly what happened in a nut shell. Supposedly

19. Cheech9712

Thanks for having our backs. Policing or site is a must

20. Cheech9712

Yeah like a sitting in the corner list list

Good Cents likes this.
  21. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

As far as any one knows there were only 2 people directly involved in the transaction(s) that are of interest to most on this thread. If someone else ~ who? why haven't they said anything? Following the threads as I do, I do not remember any such, so
    How would you get any other forum members ( Let alone 5 GREAT ) swear or support something that is hearsay by definition? I know you would get no mods, even though we might know one or the other or both and formed a persona in our minds, it isn't fair. Yes, some of you might be thought to be a troll, so should the mods just ban you? , by popular demand?,because if that was so, some of the people complaining the loudest might in trouble. The forum has to be fair....it is demanded of mods and lead strongly by Peter and Doug.
    Silence of the member accused should not be considered guilt related as they may be following the request to solve it themselves. If the member complained they were being harassed, they may ask for relief as some the posts might be inflammatory.

Yes, there are always members that others feel are disrupting the "harmony of the site" , but that is selling out amother member with no proof or irrefutable data. If it is "Known Crook", present the legal info to a lawyer or court that can seek regress. IMO, Jim

Hookman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.