ICG coin grading accuracy?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Charles1997, May 29, 2014.

1. Charles1997

Charles1997 Well-Known Member

Anyone have any experience with ICG coins being sent to PCGS for grading? Do they typically get the same grade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Not even close. ICG is a minimal grading company, and grades consistently lower than PCGS or NGC. There are some very nice coins in ICG holders (I've bought them, and cracked them out), but the company as a whole has never been an accurate TPG.

Paddy54 likes this.
  4. Charles1997

So they tend to get better grades if you send them to PCGS? Like a MS 64 would possibly MS 65 or 66 at PCGS?

5. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

That's actually not true. There was a time when ICG was considered reputable...they were held in the second tier with ANACS (back when ANACS was considered reputable). They were always considered below PCGS and NGC...but back then not that far below.

That said, their ownership has changed hands (I think a couples times) since then so they have greatly declined in quality (much like ANACS). Older slabbed ICG coins could be pretty decent...more recent ones, probably not.

With companies like this, you really have to grade the coin for yourself. Because of their "fall in quality" they sometimes get overlooked and you can find some nice coins in their slabs.

6. Morgandude11

The opposite. ICG overgrazes their coins fairly consistently, especially high grade modern coins. An ICG MS 65 might be a PCGS 63 typically.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  7. CamaroDMD

No, his point is...a MS66 in an ICG slab might be a MS64 in a PCGS.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  8. Charles1997

Oh ok

9. Morgandude11

I would agree that they were never a "basement slabbing company for sure." However, I would say second tier was the best that they ever achieved. I have gotten many nicer coins in ANACS plastic than ICG.

10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

As far as ANACS, they have greatly improved in the last few years.

At least of those pieces that I have seen.

11. CamaroDMD

I do remember a time when ANACS and ICG were considered to be basically equivalent. It has been quite some time, but it did occur.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  12. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Considering ANACS/ICG coins often sell for less, I base my decision solely on what I think is the best coin, not the 'best' slab. I am not reselling so I don't care if people would pay more for top tier slabbed coins.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Ehhhhhh - lots of variables involved. It depends of the time frame being talked about for one thing, and the kind of coin in the ICG slab. The old ICG was infamous for being overly optimistic with grades on modern coins. So the company as a whole took a bad rap.

But with older coins they were usually every bit as good as NGC or PCGS. There have been plenty of older coins in the old ICG slabs, that when cracked out and sent to NGC or PCGS were assigned higher grades by them than the grade given by ICG. In other words, ICG 64s became NGC & PCGS 65s. Of course there were also plenty that just crossed straight across - same grade.

Back then, people who knew coins, knew that. People who thought they knew coins, did not know that.

GoldFinger1969 and Owle like this.
  14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

That is correct. During their first couple years they were very free handing out 70's for moderns and they were considered a joke. Then they tighten up stopped handing out super high grades and eventually gained back reputation

15. Morgandude11

No point in arguing this one. We're on opposite sides of the TPG issue, as per always.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  16. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I've never had bad experiences with ICG coins . . .

When an ICG coin wouldn't make the grade with PCGS or NGC, it was pretty evident to me, and enabled me to pay right for the coin.

There have also been numerous ICG coins I homered on, and I cannot recall cracking an ICG coin and getting a lower grade back . . . surprisingly, that's not the case with NGC, although I've cracked a lot more NGC coins than ICG.

Now, don't beat me up for this, but I'd have to say I agree with Doug's perspective on ICG coins.

Owle and torontokuba like this.
  17. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

I have a PR69 ICG that I think could make a PR68CAM. It is why I bought it. It is the only one I own.

18. Nuglet

Nuglet Active Member

now its pcgs that doles out the 70's.. ironic..

Julie Kelliher likes this.
  19. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

I put this in the wrong forum, it was late.

Here is my only ICG PR69, might be a 68 but it is a cam and I paid $20 for it when Silver was $30. I got it cheap because it was in an ICG holder. I am happy.
    [​IMG]

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  20. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

We have this topic and I would say the coin in it actually matters, when it comes to accuracy. ICG was at AU55 and PCGS came in at AU58.

http://www.cointalk.com/threads/guess-the-grade-icg-pcgs.244729/

I'm not sure how seriously we should approach proof coin grades or common pocket change grades from BU rolls. Does it really matter if the TPG provides an MS65, MS66, PR68 or PF69 on any of those?

My main concern is that they do not grade coins that appear to be cleaned or wiped. I've seen NGC let those slip by without a details grade and was very surprised.

GeorgeM likes this.
  21. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Dave if we talking about the new ICG, I would agree with you 100%. But that's the point I was making, there are variables. The old ICG and the new ICG are completely different companies. And the grading of each is as different as night and day. And as I said, even the old ICG graded modern coins completely differently than they graded older coins.

So even with the old ICG I still agree with you about some of it. So no, we are not as opposite as you seem to think. This is a situation where yes the bathwater needs to be thrown out, but the baby doesn't.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted