I want to make some money...American Silver Eagles

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Mike Drop, Oct 10, 2017.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Obsessively or compulsively hoarding something just for the sake of having it or showing it off is a mental illness? You don't say.

By the way, what was that hobby of yours again? ;)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Doing it as a competition (Registry set owners, call your shrink's office), yes, is a sickness. If what gets your juices flowing is NOT the having of a piece, but making it impossible for someone ELSE to have it, yup, sick puppy.

4. -jeffB

I don't think most people trying to get to the top of a registry list, or trying to move up the Forbes 100, are really focused on depriving other people of anything except top position on the board. Anyone who is focused on that is certainly a problem.

5. Coin Wisher

Coin Wisher New Member

If it hits the fan, initially, gold and silver will buy you something, but as things like food, water, gas, and such dwindle, they will become the currency. Throw in things like guns and ammo too.
    Doomsday scenarios all come to a dead end, eventually. Even a very rich man who puts millions into preparation is only delaying the end, especially since the next catastrophe is likely to be Armageddon, with no tomorrow afterward
    I think ASE's are a good choice for investment, for several reasons. They are pure silver, not 90%. They are bullion coins, available at bullion prices. They are Troy ounces. You can get a bigger silver dollar, with a significantly higher amount of silver in an ASE, than in most Morgans.
    If you are in it for investment/appreciation, remember, silver is priced by the ounce, and you want to get as much of it as you can for your money, and ASEs are pretty good that way, although you can also get Canadian silver or Mexican, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2017
  6. Lemme Caution

Lemme Caution Well-Known Member

Very sound investment advice indeed, and well worth heeding. As to the whole projected doomsday/survivalist scenario, I believe that when worst comes to worst it will be of no practical concern as to precisely what denomination(s) your silver stash consists of; after all, for example, what useful purpose will it serve to trade nuclear radiation saturated coins for likewise contaminated, i.e. guaranteed lethal, foodstuffs?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  7. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Started in the mid-70's. He just sent his 1876-CC $20 he paid $250 for to PCGS and it came back MS-64. He is one of the most humble people I know, and he studied and learned a lot. His favorite is early New Orleans gold. He studied auction sales and came up with rarities based on what he saw and acted.

8. -jeffB

Wonder how long it'll take to show up in the pop reports? The highest grade they show a population for is 62, although they show auction results for 63...

9. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Had a customer bring back the AGE's he'd been stacking for years. (He's a Farmer). He needed a to replace a couple of pieces of equipment.

He brought in 80 one ouncer's that he cost averaged somewhere around $380 each and spot was $1560 at the time.

I re-bought them and didn't move quick enough and gold fell a ton in just a few days and I lost my pretty bum.

Sometime you eat the bear and sometime....he eats YOU.

10. Lemme Caution

I would venture to say that's the "acute" perception of the "chronic" impression that "When you're hot you're hot and when you're not you're not ."

11. TheFinn

Like Warren Buffet says, "Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful."

green18 likes this.
  12. TheFinn

I might be off on the date - anywhere from 1873-1877. I have seen some of his pieces. It will be a featured gold auction. Stays out of the lime light and in the shadows for security. He mostly would go after New Orleans gold from 1850s because it was the rarest in high grades, but overlooked by Charlotte, Dahlonega and Carson City pieces.

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Yeah, but the farmer made out pretty well........timing. Sometimes ya 'whoosh' and sometimes ya hit a 'Homer'.

14. green18

Hot Dang, this silver is heavy...........I've been carrying it for days (trying to outrun the mushroom cloud and the zombies). I might have jettison some of it.......much like the early settlers heading over the the sierras, towards the Willamette.......

15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

No Ken, do not eat Zombies! Throw the silver bullion at them :)

green18 likes this.
  16. Lemme Caution

Waz fer dinna, Ma?

17. green18

An most unappetizing situation..........and we're having ragu of beef tonite........

Draft saved Draft deleted