I WANT TO BUY SOME GOLD but I AM A LITTLE SCARED

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by goldcollector, Aug 8, 2016.

1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Coin collectors should be financially knowledgeable, and many of us are financially savvy or work in the business. I also find many smart people in political and auto forums.

And of course, I have my investment-only forums, too ! :D

Danjohnson likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheMont

TheMont Well-Known Member

I am also knowledgeable in other areas, I have a BS, MS, and MAT, but I come to this forum to discuss coins and currency. I don't feel qualified to give someone financial information and I think if someone wants to know how to invest their $8,000 I don't think this is the right forum for them to come to. It has nothing to do with being "smart", I know several PHDs that lost a lot of money in the stock market downturn, They took advise from people who were not qualified to give advise and they lost a lot of money.

I just feel there are better places and better people with the required knowledge to help suggest to him where he should put his money, and judging from some of the snide, rude and nasty remarks made on this forum, granted the vast majority are sincere, I'm sure he can find a better place to get real advise.

imrich likes this.
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

There is no right forum for that in all honesty. A forum should be nothing more than ideas to look into and make decisions for yourself. No one says a word if they have the magic answer until they have shored up their own positions and by then you have generally missed a large percentage of the profits anyway

Santinidollar likes this.
  5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Every investor needs a good adviser, but to have the best chance of success, he/she needs to absorb as much knowledge as possible themselves. Bad advice doesn't carry a penalty for the adviser -- just for the investor.

6. TheMont

There are forums that deal with financial matters, I'm not suggesting that is the right way to go, but you don't go to a pizza shop to buy burritos, and you don't go to a coin and currency forum for advice on how to invest your money. There are no guarantees in life, you learn as much as you can, and then make your decisions.

One of my closest friends is a licensed financial advisor working for a national company. He has given me advice, but the final decision on what I do with my money is mine. He gave me his best advice, but it's my money and if he's wrong, he isn't going to lose money I am.

A coin collector (not investor) buys coins for the love of the hobby, if he/she happens to make money on a coin they bought, down the line, that's a bonus not a goal. That's what this forum is about, coin and currency collecting. I do have some gold and silver bullion in my retirement portfolio, but as I stated earlier, it is about 20% of the program I am following. Would I suggest this to the person that asked about what to do with is $8,000? No, what works for me may not work for him. Besides, I'm not a financial advisor.

Santinidollar likes this.
  7. Danjohnson

Danjohnson Well-Known Member

Meh... He asked, we provided our opinions, take it or leave it. I've fired financial advisors and this is the bullion section (investment/speculation).

Even experts (financial advisors) are prone to not knowing what they're talking about or worse " what works for financial advisors may not work for him."

GoldFinger1969 and Santinidollar like this.
  8. usc96

usc96 Junior Member

$8,000?

Options in order:

If you have no emergency fund, then this $8,000 could be it, or part of it.
    If you have debt, pay it off.
    If you need to save for retirement, then this $8,000 could be it, or part of it.
    If this $8,000 is purely discretionary play money, then buying $8,000 worth of gold can be as much fun as picking $8,000 worth of stocks to day trade. $8,000 in day stocks has more upside, but also more downside.

* see your financial professional for investment advice.

Garlicus likes this.
  9. RepublicMetals9999

RepublicMetals9999 New Member

While it makes sense to be apprehensive about purchasing gold, everyone should have part of their financial portfolio be in precious metals. Perhaps don't put all of the money into gold, but put some. Diversify.

10. Duane Charter

Duane Charter Member

My first St. Gauden is a 1909 S MS 63 PCGS graded

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  11. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I gotta agree! If it's truly extra money and you don't have any debt at all, I would put half into stock and half in gold. That's pre-33 gold, pass on errors and any bs that pontificates into a higher price.

RepublicMetals9999 and imrich like this.
  12. Duane Charter

Duane Charter Member

1909 S PCGS MS 63. I love it...wish I had a few more.

13. TheMont

I have the 1908 No Motto and the 2008 with Motto Saint-Gaudens $20 dollar gold. They are both PCGS MS63, I think these are my two favorite coins.

14. Duane Charter

Duane Charter Member

I think they are beautiful. I need a few more.

15. TheMont

Duane Charter_ Are you a vet? I'm a Viet Nam War vet.

16. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

Thanks for all the good responses. Sorry I didn't get back. Just got busy with work and life and there seems to always be so much to do. No time. You know how it is. Anyways thanks for the good responses and taking the time to respond. I came across a great offer where I was about to get a good amount of gold right at spot. I even got a 1 ounce Krug for 1300 so I figured why not. Just buy some gold. That's what I wanted to do anyway. If it goes down I will just have to stomach it as you all do. Just keep buying and lower the DCA I guess. Maybe if I find time tonight I will post pics of what I have bought over the last couple weeks.

17. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

What ever you do...don't just buy gold...but get some kilo's of silver!!!! ;)

18. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

I wouldn't touch silver. Cant even hold $20. Anytime it breaks above $20 you know the beatdown is coming. Not to mention its usually $2 over spot to buy ( 0ver 10% ) and $1-$1.50 back of spot to sell ( 5-8% ). And for that the dealer makes a $3 profit per coin. LOL. Gold on the other hand is usually 3-4% ($40-$55) over spot when buying and I have never sold under spot. Usually get right at spot or $5 over if lucky.

Silver spread is too much and there are just too many weak hands.

Draft saved Draft deleted