I received a third party coin advertisement in the mail today

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Jason.A, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

And I want to determine who shared my information, because I will never buy from them again.

Which big coin dealers have a history of sharing our information without permission? The advertisement was from Littleton Coin Company.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I never have this problem. I own my own domain, which costs $10 a year, so I can put anything before the @ and it comes to me. If I have to give my e-mail address to XYZ company then the e-mail address I give them is XYZ@mydomainname. Or if I fill in a form on the website ABCsite.com then the e-mail is ABCsite@mydomainname. (Substitute my actual domain for mydomainname, which I am not willing to share.)

I always know where any spam comes from. And I do complain if I think it is being released without my permission.

4. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

It may not be a dealer. How about coin magazines?

5. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Happened to me also. Must be one of the big bullion dealers, but don't know who/how. Not happy about it. Even had one call me, MCM I think it was, attempting to get me to buy a silver Krugerand. I guess it's in the fine print (agreement) ???

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Many of the non-coin journals sell mailing lists. Google says it has just stopped using AI to read gmail messages to position ads from their contributors, but I believe Yahoo was starting, and maybe hasn't yet. Bots scan our website to see if it can pick up personal emails in the messages ( probably the footers also). Just checked and there are 70 robots reading CT now, and I bet none are collectors of coin, not even bitcoins.

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Get over it........you are constantly under an magnifying glass in today's world. Ya don't want nobody sharing your info and what you look at? Don't patronize the internet.

8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Hey Ken, with the sack over your avatar, you look 'robotish'.

green18 likes this.
  9. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Littleton Coin Company sells normal everyday coins at a big premium i bought
    some of there stuff years ago on there approval program, it wasent long before
    i discovered i was paying way more then i have to for the same thing i could get
    for $$ cheaper elsewhere but dont have anything bad to say about them other
    then they charge to much :(

10. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

This was a physical mailing. I don't want something in my mail that reveals I buy precious metals to would-be mail thieves.

It would be unusual for one of my non-coin subscriptions to have led to this mailing, especially since it happened now during these last few years when I started getting involved in coin collecting and PM investing.

11. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

Was it the one with the cent in it? I got one too. Never bought anything from them and I don't have an account with them. I also got a mailer from some coin dealer I've never hear of on the same day. I tossed it and don't remember who it was.

12. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

It was an ad that said scratch to reveal your prize. It was for a Reagan presidential dollar.

13. mpcusa

Once your on a list like that good luck getting off it :(

14. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

I mail animal poop to those who cross me.

SilverSurfer415 likes this.
  15. SilverSurfer415

SilverSurfer415 Well-Known Member

I usually tell to CHOKE ON IT.

I never pick up the 2nd or 3rd call so they leave a voice mail crying all over the place.

"WHY WHY SO RUDE TO USE WHY"

Santinidollar likes this.
  16. mpcusa

Many dont know this but once you buy something your automatically put on
    a list and those lists are up for sale and so is your personal information :(

17. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

Do you subscribe to magazines of any of the following?

Guns/Hunting
    Coins/PMs
    Investments/Money
    Sports

If so, your magazine subscription platform (the company you ordered the magazines from) may have packaged your info to a marketing company who then sold it to Littleton.

18. mpcusa

I belong to all the above, you have to be careful about who and where you buy
    from, everybody wants to make money and that means selling your personal information to the highest bidder.

Draft saved Draft deleted