I really want to conserve this 1851 lg cent - Sentimental

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by TylerH, Dec 20, 2019.

1. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

Hi All

This coin was my grandmothers and I believe it was given to her by her father - But it has black and green verdigis(?) all over it - I hear verdi-care is great but I cant find it anywhere. Is there an alternative?

It's not worth sending to NGC to conserve, but I would like to just make it nicer and ensure it stops deteriorating.

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

4. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

5. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Then wait for it to get back in stock. It is what you will want to use for this coin. The coin has waited over 150 years. A week or two more won't hurt it.

6. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I have been waiting for more than 6 months for wizard coins to notify me that verdicare is back in stock. I am in no rush, just saying it won't be a couple of weeks.

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The only verdigris on that coin are the green spots. Will Verdi-Care take it off ? Yes. But it will have little to no effect on anything else. The black and or dark you're seeing is a combination of dirt, grime and toning.

But here's the thing, as long as you store the coin properly, little if anything will change. The verdigris won't increase because it requires moisture to do so - proper storage will remove moisture from the equation. The toning won't noticeably increase because proper storage will slow it down so much you'll never be able to notice any changes. And there will be no more dirt and grime added to the coin.

The guy who makes Verdi-Care, and sells it to Wizard, is a member of this forum -
    https://www.cointalk.com/members/badthad.17261/

I'd start there ;)

8. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Yes it will help this coin and stabilize it. Is it a cure all no but it will keep it from further deterioration and improve its appearance @BadThad

9. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I have some Verdi-Care and will work on it for you, if you want to mail it to me. No guarantees on how much it will help, because every coin is unique, but if you want me to, message me.

GeorgeM likes this.
  10. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

The best thing to do is to brush it lightly with a little mineral oil. "Professional" products are basically that with a little organic solvent added to soften up the dirt.

Draft saved Draft deleted