I noticed when Silver goes up

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Comixbooks, Apr 26, 2016.

1. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It isn't speculation when you're only paying face value. It's gravy!

Any way you look at it these complainers will never be happy unless they are guaranteed a profit. It ain't gonna happen!

Chris

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

So, I take it to mean that you haven't read the book. That figures!

Chris

4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I also remember where I was in 1980 when the Hunts tried to corner the market. I spent two weeks buying like crazy and sold the Friday before the market crashed and paid no where near the high price it was going for. I put an ad in the paper and paid around $15.00 an ounce and sold for near $50.00 an ounce. Pays to pay attention. I did not regret anything except that I wished I had more time to search for errors and varieties as a lot was Mercs, Franklins, and early Washingtons.

Rono and Brett_in_Sacto like this.
  5. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

When the Hunt brothers cornered the silver market, I was busy spending my quarters at the candy shop and buying cap guns.

I remember buying some Big League Chew gum with a roll of 1916-D dimes. (grin, duck, run!)

Bman33 and tommyc03 like this.
  6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I did take a chance though. I was 25 back then and tipped into my work savings incentive program for a short term loan to cover my expenses but nothing ventured, nothing gained. And I was still buying comic books until the market went berserk with high prices on the stand in 1992, the same year I quit that along with buying baseball cards.

7. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

I know what you did last Summer!!!!!!!!! BUT 1980'S I did not pay attention I was too busy trying to raise a family. I bought some silver at 8.00 dollars but couldn't back the truck up ....... THE REASON I BOUGHT WHAT ALITTLE SILVER I could in the 1980 because the year before 1979 it was summer or fall silver was 16.00 and up in the twenties if memory serve me correct..

tommyc03 likes this.
  8. Rono

Rono Senior Member

Geez, a bunch of geezers on this thread playing the Hunt Bros. bull market. teehehe ;-)

I was back in school at MSU finishing my BA in Econ after having worked restaurants for the previous four years. During this time (early 70's), I had been buying all the 90% silver out of the change for face value. I went back in '78 and augmented my GI Bill by selling my silver stash. The GI Bill was from my earlier sabbatical taken in SE Asia @ FMF WesPac.

and so it goes,

rono

tommyc03 likes this.
  9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I was just starting my family in 1979 but my now ex wife did not have a clue as to how to handle money so I took care of all the finances. She never knew what I was buying for the most part. But I was working full time at a factory, cleaning a resteraunt after my shift ended each night, cleaning the bath houses at a local camp in between that, and mowing about 6 yards and a cemetary each week, so I had extra money to do this. Plus I took a tech course and was repairing VCR's and vintage radios in addition. This old geezer is sure feeling the effects of all that these days.;););)

slackaction1 likes this.
  10. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

TOMMY....The Tech Course probably still comes handy even today though I know what you mean you had to work I also mowed a few graveyards my self and lawns. While my x-wifey collected rocks............. she didn't have a job or even clean the house had to take my Laundry to my poor ole Mother to do but she liked it or she seem too......

tommyc03 likes this.
  11. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

It does still come in handy. Back then though VCR's had three layers of circuit boards to get through to the drive, heads, and loading mechanism. Now, just one circuit board, a spray of the heads and maybe a minor adjustment to the tracking. I still pick them up at the local landfill and fix 'em up. But like a great coin find, I recently found an old McIntosh receiver that just needed one new filter and I got $500.00 for it. I picked up the filter on ebay for $50.00. Not a bad way to make some fast money.

dwhiz and slackaction1 like this.
  12. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

Fancy toys!!! They do make life fun and interesting!

tommyc03 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted