I love...Big Copper

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by laurentyvan, Dec 14, 2016.

1. yarm

yarm Junior Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

How much do those types of coins cost?

4. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

GeyepopCERT.gif

I love giant copper and bronze pieces.

King George IV and Queen Caroline were one of my favorite disastrous royal marriages:

http://www.regencyhistory.net/2011/11/george-iv-and-queen-caroline-disastrous.html

Here is my giant bronze depicting the trial of of Queen Caroline (not my pictures):

George IV Era bronze Trial of Queen Caroline Medal 1820.jpg

George IV Era bronze Trial of Queen Caroline Medal 1820r.jpg

This medal measures a monstrous D. 82 mm.

One of favorite royal anecdotes:

In 1821 a messenger came to tell George IV of Napoleon's death. "I have, sir, to congratulate you. Your greatest enemy is dead."

George IV rejoiced, "Is she, by God." (The King thought that Queen Caroline had died, instead.)

Queen Caroline had the following engraved on her coffin: "Caroline of Brunswick, injured Queen of England."

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  5. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

I remembered I had this tucked away - French medal for Marie Duchess D'Orleans, responsible for the sculpture of Jean of Arc on the reverse. Measures about 52mm diameter and 5mm thick.
    Marie D'Orleans 1.jpg Marie D'Orleans 20001.jpg
    Apologies for the blurriness particularly on the reverse - it is struck so deep it will not lie flat on my scanner!

6. yarm

yarm Junior Member

B. Pistrucci engraved the official coronation medal for Queen Victoria, 36mm in high relief. However, I prefer this less well known version at 87mm (BHM 1802).

067807fc-a323-4cfb-b41b-804828d0aff0.jpg

7. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Highly variable depending on type, denomination & date. I think it's really hard to find any of the big 40 reis in the 1750's without countermark. The reason is that they were struck in Portugal [I think] and every piece destined for Brazil was countermarked. Anyhow for pieces in the 1700's, circ, with countermark I'd guess $40 to $75. The unc 1828 cost me close to $250 or $280 or $300, I really can't remember now.

8. yarm

yarm Junior Member

Produced by J.& J. Braddock for the 1888 Centennial International Exhibition in Melbourne. 76mm.

Merged 1888 Exhibition reduced.jpg

9. PaddyB

Found this one in a back drawer:
    Evesham 1.jpg Evesham 2.jpg
    Historical medallion from Evesham recording political events in 1819. Measures about 53mm in diameter, so fairly chunky!

10. yarm

yarm Junior Member

Birmingham Grammar School award, 58mm

upload_2017-11-24_20-49-0.png

11. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

hate to break the run of medals with an actual circulating coin but...
    This is one of the common Egyptian bronzes, however this one is double weight.
    Ptolemy II (r. 283 - 246 BC I think), AE 47, 98.1 grams. Typically they run around 40 g. Of course the pit in the center ob & rev is not damage but a centering hole used to help them make the large flans prior to striking. The light color means the alloy is copper with a high % of tin alloy: thus it should be safer for young children to chew on.

[​IMG]

I may have previously posted my Roman Aes Grave at 261 grams.

NLL, Stork and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  12. PaddyB

Since you've bumped this thread I may as well put this one in - already on a new acquisitions thread but very appropriate here:
    Vienna Medallion 1.JPG Vienna Medallion 2.JPG
    70mm diameter copper medallion for the World Fair in Vienna in 1873. This was the first one held in a Germanic speaking country and marked Austria's return to the fold after various wars. The obverse features the bust of Franz Josef I and the inscription above the reverse translates as "For Progress" I believe. Striking figures depicted, though the women have rather strong jaws for my taste!

13. yarm

yarm Junior Member

Gregory XVI, Anno VII, San Paolo Ruins by Girometti, 50mm. Project.jpg

chrisild, Stork and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  14. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

What I don't quite understand - San Paolo fuori le Mura was partly destroyed in 1823, as the medal says. So was this 1837 piece issued as some kind of fundraiser? Anyway, the "church side" has an attractive design. :)

Christian

15. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

You never cease to amaze me. 1848 is stunning

16. yarm

yarm Junior Member

The church ruins reverse first appears on a medal produced during the reign of Leone XII (1823-1829) and was used again for medals under Gregory XVI and Pius IX. No idea why.

chrisild likes this.
  17. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

My favoorite is my icon:

icon.new3.jpg Icon_Rev.jpg

spirityoda, PaddyB, Stork and 2 others like this.
  18. yarm

yarm Junior Member

1792, Tribute to the Prince of Wales by Barnett, BHM #361, 48mm.

Merged BHM 361.jpg

19. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Best 1792 detail I've seen.

20. yarm

yarm Junior Member

There were some huge medals produced by the Vatican during the 19th century particularly during the papacy of Pius IX. Here's an 82mm medal of 1851 featuring the basilica of San Giovanni in Laterano. It weighs almost 265 grams.

The steel stamp used to produce the medal dwarfed the medal itself

upload_2018-4-3_14-6-5.png Steel stamp 1851 medal copy.jpg

https://www.yelp.com/biz/basilica-di-san-giovanni-in-laterano-roma

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  21. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Draft saved Draft deleted