I like Cleaned Coins and you should to thread

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mrbrklyn, Apr 29, 2012.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Tell me more about these carbides or oxides that are soluble in acetone.

NSP, Kentucky, Oldhoopster and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

there is nothing more to tell, they just leave a dark pattern on the coin. I suppose if you soak it for more time, you can get it all to disolve, or maybe not.
    [​IMG]

4. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Don't be fooled Acetone can and will change the wrong coins for the worst.
    Study what you are removing,

6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

You still don't understand how acetone works, even though it's been posted.

* Acetone is a solvent. It will remove many types of organic crud, residue, and dirt from the surface of a coin.
    * Acetone WILL NOT remove toning or other substances that are formed when the metal atoms on the surface reacts with the atmosphere or environment. This includes oxides and carbides That you referenced (can carbides even form on a coin?)
    * There may be corrosion or toning variations under the residue that can become noticeable after a soak/rinse. These were not caused by acetone. They were caused by the organic crud that the acetone removed.
    * The dissolved organics stay in the acetone. Since it evaporates quickly, the residue can be redeposited onto the coin. That's why it's important to change the solvent frequently. Also, never let the acetone completely evaporate from the container while soaking. The residue will be redeposited.

Members have taken the time to help you. You could at least take the time to read their posts. Hopefully, this will help other members learn how acetone works and are confused by misleading comments.

-jeffB, John Skelton and Maxfli like this.
  7. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

@cplradar

I don't know who you are or anything about your dad or what evolved in the past here. I only can judge posters by what they post. I don't have a clue what you do or how advanced a NUMISMATIST you THINK you are either. Until just a few weeks ago, I never saw you comment on anything - unless you changed your icon.

What I do know from your posts and our interactions is it APPEARS that you are more misinformed than most of the folks who comment as much as you and I do.

Say hello to your dad for me if he is still alive. As a multi-banned former member of several coin forums I can relate to him in some ways. Trolls like us generate forum traffic. ;)

PS You and your father should consider joining the NGC Coin Forum. They need some traffic as it is a graveyard over there. :D

Cliff Reuter, Kentucky and ldhair like this.
  8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It's really simple to avoid if you follow proper acetone procedure, as described here -

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/proper-acetone-procedure.193708/

cplradar and Oldhoopster like this.
  9. GDJMSP

If everybody would simply take the time to type out what they actually mean and say harsh/improper cleaning - instead of just saying cleaning - then the confusion and misinformation would simply disappear.

There is a difference, a very distinct and major difference, between the two terms. And it is only the prolonged and repeated misuse of the terms that has led to so very, very many people being confused and misinformed.

10. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Bravo! One of the best explanations yet of what acetone does and doesn't do:

-jeffB likes this.
  11. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

My father is not feeling well and not joining any forums. He barely emails anyone any more.

12. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

That is a complement all things considered.

13. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

Not all members. You happen to be in my ignore box. You got there for being rude. I just happened to see this when I logged out, but when you think your being ignored, there is a good chance that someone used that feature built into the forum software.

14. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Too bad I'm on ignore. I thought I posted a lot of good info on using acetone that would have really helped him. Oh well, hopefully other members will find it useful. I'll have to remember not to provide any help when it's not wanted.

BTW: This guy must have a lot of people on ignore because he keeps getting good answers, but still doesn't seem to get it. His loss. :banghead: :facepalm:

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm sure I'm on ignore as well. That's ok. I'll post what I know is the truth and hope it helps others.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  16. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

There probably are many of us on "ignore", hopefully because others may have comprehension problems, as I occasionally have, or as my wife would occasionally request: "Don't Confuse Me With Facts" LOL. She really was a dear who never argued!

Keep Posting!

green18 likes this.
  17. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

I'll try that. What I have done is soak them in acetone for a few hours in a glass cup, covered with aluminum foil. Then I have dropped them into some distilled water and then pat them dry. That seems to have caused, at times, small and black particulates that are not dissoluble in the acetone, but are suspended in the fluid to redeposit, most usually around the fields or along the letters. The double soak seems to make sense. I'll try it next time.

18. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

There's nothing to be gained by a final rinse in water. Rinse them in a second (or third, if necessary) dish of CLEAN acetone.

19. GDJMSP

There is something to be gained by the final rinse in distilled water, 2 somethings even. To begin with, if one follows my instructions for proper acetone procedure you use 3 rinses in clean acetone, and that's followed by the last in distilled water. What the water does is to remove any contaminants that may still be in the 3rd acetone rinse. And, it stops some coins from developing a whitish cast to them which makes them look a bit odd and off-putting to some folks. The final water rinse, and proper drying, makes the coins look normal.

cplradar likes this.
  20. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

GDJMSP, posted: "If everybody would simply take the time to type out what they actually mean and say harsh/improper cleaning - instead of just saying cleaning - then the confusion and misinformation would simply disappear.

There is a difference, a very distinct and major difference, between the two terms. And it is only the prolonged and repeated misuse of the terms that has led to so very, very many people being confused and misinformed."

I agree. The problem is that the results of any mechanical treatment done to a coin appear in degrees of intensity from causing hairlines drying a coin with a paper towel all the way to destroying it with a wheel of some kind. Unfortunately, all the major TPGS lump most degrees of abrasion into one term "Cleaned" so most folks never learn the difference.

cplradar, posted: "That is a complement all things considered."

:facepalm: You :confused: may call may post a a compliment if you wish to deny its content. I assure you it was not. You might consider just "Lurking" around the forum again before making any more false assumptions.

Maxfli, posted: "There's nothing to be gained by a final rinse in water."

I agree.

21. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I hear you, but the "whitish cast" you refer to is something I've never seen in decades of using acetone. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Oldhoopster likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted