I know they're gimmicky, but I still like them

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by myownprivy, Apr 19, 2017.

1. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

What high premium, gimmicky bullion to you enjoy buying, even though you know the premium is basically a rip off?

For me, it's the privy Maple Leafs. The several dollar premium for a slightly shinier Maple Leaf with a little privy design of something unique is a fun way to buy silver, even though they barely ever retain that premium and they might even milk spot.

How about you?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrbreeze

mrbreeze Well-Known Member

Great Britain Queen's beast coins. They are 2 ounces but the diameter of a 1 ounce coin. They are made like the thick piedforts.

Johndoe2000$ and SilverSurfer415 like this.
  4. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

This may come as a shock to you OP but very few people whose gene pool is deeper than a mud puddle willingly overspend. If they buy something (especially a non-essential) it has a value to them. Even whimsy has value if it makes someone happy for awhile. And whimsy can't be quantified. You can claim they paid too much based on quantified data such as supply and demand. But supply and demand is based on the combined actions of the glob. The individual can tell you "bite me, I like it."
    That's called whimsey. Good luck trying to control it.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Johndoe2000$ and Jwt708 like this.
  5. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Ironic coming from the guy whose spouted off gems like this in the past

Johndoe2000$ and longarm like this.
  6. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

Look, I'm not a robot. This is a hobby for me, too. It's why I visit a message board to discuss it. If it were purely an investment I would be meticulously disciplined and never pay ridiculous premiums on trendy, gimmicky precious metals. I would expect the same of all investors. Investing in any other way than with discipline is stupid.

However, in addition to my disciplined investing, I also buy a few hundred dollars of things each year with premiums that negate the investment qualities of the item. (I.e. I would lose most or all of the premium when selling it). However, like all sophisticated investors, I max out my retirement contribution every year, I save/invest a set amount of my income every month no matter what. In addition to that, I also invest 5-ish% into precious metals with modest premiums that are near counterfeit proof, are widely respected and accepted around the world. The few hundred I spend frivolously on high premium items I enjoy doesn't even dent any of this.

Stupid stackers often view their stacking as an investment. They often seem to also pursue it as a primary means of investment. These people do things like spend thousands per year on puck-sized lunar silver that they will never recoup the premium on. Bumpkin preppers fill their shed with copper pennies. Idiots buy precious metals with their credit cards that they are unable to pay the balance on at the end of the month. These people are foolish because they think what they are doing is an investment.

Please don't conflate the two.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  7. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Yeah, we can all see that you are superior in every aspect of both collecting, and investing in PMs :vomit:. Yeesh, I hope that I was never as offensive to others here as I find you. If so I apologize to all, and am trying to improve within the community.

8. SilverTracker

SilverTracker Well-Known Member

You know Privy, using the words idiot and stupid in this post as you continue to insult members on this forum is the wrong way to make friends on here.

Why not try to educate people instead of insulting them or unless you are to good for that.

longarm and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  9. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

That would be funny if it wasn't so sad, who are you to criticize others when you admit to buying over priced crap?

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  10. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Privy, this is not the first thread you have posted where you ask a question and then use it as a lead-in to be insulting, arrogant and rude. Just cut it out, OK?

Bman33, Stevearino, Blissskr and 2 others like this.
  11. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

Thank You!

Hey myownprivy, Schooled.jpg

12. SilverSurfer415

SilverSurfer415 Well-Known Member

Probably those Queen's Beast coin if I have money.

mrbreeze likes this.
  13. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

I like stuff from National Collector's Mint. :p

14. Santinidollar

Don't forget the Franklin Mint!!!

15. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I could be mistaken but aren't some of those still pretty collectable?

16. Santinidollar

I always liked their model cars.

17. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Some are awesome, some, not so much.

18. mrbreeze

mrbreeze Well-Known Member

Some of the world sets from the Franklin Mint sell in the 4 figures.

19. Lylelovett666

Lylelovett666 Member

I'm really about the deal when it comes to buying. I'm concerned with wieght. I've never bought anything that I didn't consider a good deal. I should probably buy a little something just for the helluva it.

20. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I want a Big Foot Canadian Maple. Just one. I usually buy overpriced bullion as gifts for loved ones. I have a nephew who loves Mickey Mouse so I got him a Mickey 1 oz silver. That is just one example. Bullion can be fun and great presents for people you care about.

21. Santinidollar

Proof sets, I find, are a well received gift for someone's birth year. Most are cheap, but they don't care.

Bman33 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted