I know its AT but what do you think of this coin?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by rooman9, Dec 23, 2015.

1. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I'm thinking of getting this coin (well its a token actually) I figured it's AT but do you think it's real (the token, not the toning)?

s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600-1.jpg
    s-l1600-2.jpg s-l1600-3.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I think the lighting may be making it appear more brilliant than it actually is. Did you see it in hand or is it online? You could always ask for more pictures.

4. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about toning, but what makes you think that it isn't natural toning? What are the tell-tale signs?

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I think it's a medal rather than a coin.

Chris

rooman9 likes this.
  6. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

It's online, I think its real but the seller had one negative feedback for selling a fake.

I think the color is a bit suspicious. I'm actually not quite sure.

7. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

I think that it's real. My friend Mr. Google has shown me a number of these similar to that one, and in various conditions, etc.

8. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Looks too worn for that toning to be real to me. Such toning can only occur on undisturbed surfaces, and this one is definitely worn. Always remember toning occurs on the microscopic layer of luster created when it was struck. Circulation and wear quickly destroys this layer. I have never seen beautifully toned coins that were well worn. Worn coins can be "beautifully toned" by artificial means or chemical cleaning residue though.

Just my opinion. The one thing that would change it would be if this medal was struck by very worn dies, and there is in fact luster over the surfaces. Hard to tell from photographs and not knowing the coin issue well.

micbraun likes this.
  9. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I think a coin will tone like this if someone stored it in a Manila envelope or other high sulfur material . Whether that's natural or AT I'll leave for another argument .

10. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

If it was worn 200-250 years ago, and has since been stored somewhere with sulfur or other such elements, it can still tone like that. I'm not sure where you got the idea that coins can only tone "colorfully" if they are uncirculated, else it must be "artificial"... o_O

Insider likes this.
  11. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

This coin is NOT well worn. Most of the missing detail on the obverse is due to strike. IMO Min. grade: VF and the color makes it reflective enough that many would push or "price the grade" to XF

12. Insider

I think it is a Louie XIII Jeton rather than a medal or actual coinage.

krispy and derkerlegand like this.
  13. Insider

Another one of those posts I like to hate: I don't know anything about ...BUT:

Can go either way on the toning. Color OK. The way it changes inward from dark to light looks OK. But gut says.... no opinion.

derkerlegand likes this.
  14. medoraman

I never said uncirculated, but said naturally occurring beautiful toning occurs on lustrous surfaces. Xf coins cab have it, but not on the worn parts.

Now, have I seen toning on F coins caused by sulphur envelops? Yeah, but it's a different look without the same progression. How "natural" you wish to define this is up to the collector.

15. medoraman

If this is the case, like I said before, I would change my mind sir.

16. Insider

Only My opinion. I cannot prove anything with a photo and I'm certainly not a foreign coin expert. As a mater of fact, I took a guess on a coin this afternoon and I'm still waiting for an answer. What do you think about my grading opinion below:

Let me ask you a question Mike, what would you grade this coin ? And no, don't tell me you're not familiar with the series. Just tell me what you think of the coin.

What fun, let's see how I do:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would buy this 1926 Albania 2 fr. in a "country minute!" Looks totally original, full mint luster with no apparent rub (There may be a touch on the eagle's right leg - so what). These coins appear all scratched up but the scratches/hairlines that most can see here are actually "raised die polish." I see a tiny planchet flaw/struck thru (?); several tiny hits + a spot (milk spot...LOL) under the "B"; and a tiny black spot in front of the face. I cannot tell from the photo if there are any Eye appeal high but all the die polish is very distracting. I grade the coin...
    TA-DUM...

MS-65. Do I get a job?
    Insider, Today at 3:10 PM Report

derkerlegand likes this.
  17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Don't matter what I think, it's what you think.......:)

rooman9 likes this.
  18. Insider

green18, you are the devil. Each time you post a joke (I check "like" by the way), my computer dings an alert, I stop working, open the thread - hoping for an answer to my question and ... :( Only consolation is I get a good laugh.

19. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Jeton, bad strike, good grade, nice toning and I don't think it has been chemically toned as in someone treating it with chems to get a quick effect.

@medoraman I know what you're saying, but I think the difference being discussed is bright colorful toning versus dull toning. I have seen plenty of circulated coins that have toned nicely without being treated. But coins with original luster will keep that underlying luster beneath the toning, which makes it significantly different appearing than on circulated coins.

I would bet the toning on the OP jeton is much more dull in person. The flash and camera angle is deceiving as to how significant it is.

krispy likes this.
  20. Insider

I'll take that bet and than raise you. IMO, that's the type of Blast toning that can even make some coins appear Prooflike.

derkerlegand likes this.
  21. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

I've yet to see a coin, medal, token etc where toning made it seem prooflike. If anything toning might make a proof or prooflike seem less so.

Draft saved Draft deleted