Cabinet Friction,stacking Or Wear

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rzage, Sep 2, 2008.

1. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

But Mike, isn't it still an impairment in the coin's condition? It wasn't minted like that, it was minted without the "cabinet friction." While the mode of onset or the source if you will of "circulation wear" is different from the same for "cabinet friction," they're both wear, and both impairment in the coin's condition. Why does it even make sense to differentiate modes of onset or sources of wear when they're both wear and both mean the coin's condition is impaired to the degree of the wear? Are we out to fool collectors into thinking if we can call it "cabinet friction" the coin's condition isn't impaired or that they should forget about the coin's condition as being meaningful? That's where I'm stuck. What's meaningful to me is whether and to what degree the coin's condition is impaired. From a different slant, when you grade a coin with cabinet friction MS64, what's to differentiate that from a coin without cabinet friction graded MS64, which is clearly a condition-superior coin? There are probably other dilemmas, too, other such, well, unforeseeable consequences.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TubeRider

TubeRider Active Member

Great discussion from 7 years ago on the first 4 pages of this CT thread. This is the exact question I was researching a month ago when I came upon these 2008 posts, I immediately joined CoinTalk and resurrected this thread.

4. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

While the mode of onset or the source if you will of "contact marks" is different from the same for "wear", they're both damage to the coin, and both impairment in the coin's condition. Why does it even make sense to differentiate modes of onset or sources of damage when they're both damage and both mean the coin's condition is impaired to the degree of the damage?

You see my point? Damage is damage, but still, it is important to differentiate between coins that have been circulated and coins that have not. Some conditions that manifest as wear are not from circulation. You can make an educated guess by the appearance of the luster break and a lack of contact marks in the fields.

Lehigh96 likes this.
  5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Kinda hard to even call it a grading guide, in my opinion anyway, since Photograde, then and I believe still now, only covers circulated coins.

6. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Good Morning everyone...two shopping days left and you guys have made me forget that Ebay exists. I have not logged on over there for almost a week :) Need to buy something soon for a "fix."

Yesterday I asked CT members if what I am about to do (color) is OK and not rude. It helps my old brain think.

derkerlegand likes this.
  7. Insider

Good to have you chime in today YOSU (You old stir-upper). I need get your take on the post above. Also...Yesterday I asked if it was OK to use Color "Between The Lines" for my posts. It is very helpful for me and I wish more members would do it if it is OK.

derkerlegand likes this.
  8. GDJMSP

We shall have to agree to disagree.

What the TPGs do is not market grading. What they do is value grading. They merely call it market grading so it will be acceptable.

LOL ! - at the everyone adopting them part.

And I think you've got it backwards. The TPGs don't even follow their own written and published standards, why in the world would they follow anybody else's ?

And are you forgetting that all of the people who own and run the TPGs are members of the ANA ? That those very same people all sat down and helped the ANA develop their grading standards ? And agreed to them.

As for stepping into the modern world - http://www.amazon.com/Official-Stan...=1450891942&sr=8-1&keywords=ANA+grading+guide

- that's the newest edition of the ANA standards, published in 2013 (not '14 as I previously mentioned).

This is the newest for the TPGs, 2004, and they don't even follow it because even it is too strict for them - http://www.amazon.com/Official-Guid...1450892881&sr=8-1&keywords=PCGS+grading+guide

I've preached, begged, pleaded, with the numismatic community for 15 years to establish and adopt a single set of grading standards that everybody follows - collectors, dealers, and the TPGs. A set of standards that remains static and unchanging. A set of standards that acknowledges that wear is wear, and that no MS coin can have any wear. A set of standards that determines the grade of a coin based on its condition. A set of standards where the value, pedigree, scarcity, or rarity of a coin plays no part whatsoever in determining the grade of that coin.

But virtually everybody refuses to do that. Do you know why ? Because they like their coins being over-graded. They want their AU coins graded MS. They want their 61s 2s and 3s graded 65, 66 and even higher. They like things the way they are because it makes feel better about themselves.

The TPGs give their customers what the customers want, that is their business. And that's how we've gotten to where we are.

Let me ask you a question Mike, what would you grade this coin ?

'26 2 franga obv.JPG

'26 2 franga rev.JPG

And no, don't tell me you're not familiar with the series. Just tell me what you think of the coin.

micbraun likes this.
  9. GDJMSP

Let's put it this way, we have no rules against it. But that magenta or whatever it is in your previous post, is kinda hard on the eyes. Underlining or using italics, or even quote within quotes, does the same thing. But, it is a matter of taste.

10. Insider

OK, then I'll change my terminology so I agree with you. The TPGS do "Value Grading" for the commercial coin market. They have quite the nerve trying to pass that off as "Market Grading."

derkerlegand likes this.
  11. Insider

I'll get to your coin in an hour...LOL. Depends on how long it takes for these humble comments/opinions made only to express myself and perhaps inform...

And the commercial market makers; TPGS; experienced,astute collectors/dealers; etc. don't care what edition and don't follow those standards.

I agree 100% with your sentiment. Incidentally, it was called TECHNICAL GRADING - the TRUE Technical Grading as practiced in the 70's - that was REJECTED by the coin market/dealers. If what you have written above could ever be done, much of the problems/differences in the hobby today would be solved.

derkerlegand likes this.
  12. Insider

Let me ask you a question Mike, what would you grade this coin ? And no, don't tell me you're not familiar with the series. Just tell me what you think of the coin.

What fun, let's see how I do:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would buy this 1926 Albania 2 fr. in a "country minute!" Looks totally original, full mint luster with no apparent rub (There may be a touch on the eagle's right leg - so what). These coins appear all scratched up but the scratches/hairlines that most can see here are actually "raised die polish." I see a tiny planchet flaw/struck thru (?); several tiny hits + a spot (milk spot...LOL) under the "B"; and a tiny black spot in front of the face. I cannot tell from the photo if there are any Eye appeal high but all the die polish is very distracting. I grade the coin...
    TA-DUM

TA-DUM

MS-65. Do I get a job? One poster did this to me before and skipped a bunch of space. It was very funny. Hope you think so too.

derkerlegand and micbraun like this.
  13. Insider

PS for all of you. No matter if anyone agrees with my opinion, anyone who can grade a U.S. coin should be able to correctly grade or come very close to the correct grade of any foreign coin in the same minting era. Ancients are different.

derkerlegand likes this.
  14. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

When are you drawing the line for "as minted?" If you say that the instant the coin is ejected from the die, then any bag marks on the coin should be considered damage. Coins that exhibit "roll friction" are rolled later in the process but prior to circulation, unless you count bank to bank transactions as circulation.

In answer to your question, the TPGs will often apply a practice of net grading to coins with "roll friction" to differentiate them from coins showing no friction. For example,

[​IMG]

This coin should be at least MS63, but the TPG net graded it to account for the friction. In essence, they treated the friction in much the same way they would a severe bag mark. What is wrong with that?

Jaelus likes this.
  15. Insider

Lehigh96 asked me:
    When are you drawing the line for "as minted?" If you say that the instant the coin is ejected from the die People I talk with have different opinions. For me, as soon as the coin leaves the die., then any bag marks on the coin should be considered damage Yes, for me also. So if the feed fingers or press bed puts marks on the coin as it is pushed off the press into the hopper (We are not talking about modern coins here. I have seen the "new" horizontal presses making quarters but I was not really much interested at the time - darn) More marks occur in the riddlers', and bagging operation. Nevertheless, marks do not make a coin AU but they can make it worth AU money or even turn it into a cull :).Coins that exhibit "roll friction" are rolled later in the process but prior to circulation, unless you count bank to bank transactions as circulation. After the coin leaves the Mint, some say it is circulated; same goes when it was rolled; transferred to another bank; ditto, paid out. I personally don't care and cannot know for certain much of a coin's prior history so if it "looks" AS MINTED when I get my grubby, "gloved" - actually NOT, hands on it - that's good enough for me.

derkerlegand likes this.
  16. Insider

Doug, How did I do on your test? I'm going nuts over here waiting to find out...LOL.
    I'm going to keep bugging you for the correct answer. Actually, if our roles were reversed I'd make you wait several days to find out how you did!

derkerlegand likes this.
  17. Insider

Dear GDJMSP,

How did I do on the test? I notice my answer should have read: ...if there are any hairlines from mishandling. Eye ...

derkerlegand likes this.
  18. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Actually, I was addressing Eddie. Insider, have you ever considered going decaf?

Insider likes this.
  19. Insider

I've been told that and to take SAMIE. I'm a 14 year old in the body of an old fart. I have only been posting for a few weeks and come January I expect the "thrill" will wear off and I'll be way to busy to jump on threads. I thought you were asking me as I have been discussing wear vs Mint State somewhere on the forum. Sorry.

When do you draw the line?

20. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I see your point, but I think it's non-responsive. Can I explain that? Wear is seen on the devices. It's not a contact mark. It's called "wear," because the devices are "worn." That's the impairment. It's the impairment in the condition or state of preservation of the devices. Certainly, contact marks are damage, and, in another sense, impairment, as well. That's not wear.

Concentrate on the devices when looking for wear. If there's no wear, the coin is still MS.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  21. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Again, non-responsive. Wear is on the devices. It goes to the condition of the devices. When the devices aren't worn, the technical condition of the coin is MS.

Draft saved Draft deleted