I finished my Germany 2€ set (sort of)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Seattlite86, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Here's another set I’ve completed as much as possible. Three more will come out, 2020, 2021 and 2022. Unfortunately, I won’t be in Europe much longer, so these will get spent the next few tiles I go out. I had fun looking for these over the last two years. The hardest one for me to find was Hamburg, but the last one I got was the Bundesrat, which came out this year.
    F4D09ABB-2833-40F7-B249-E4809219D493.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    Cucumbor, Theodosius, Nas and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Nice collection! In my opinion some designs are better than others (surprise ...); the strictly frontal view makes sense if the depicted building was designed "for" that. In that regard, the "MeckPomm" and Saxony designs are good. Hamburg and Hessen have a little too much empty space; the churches on the North Rhine Westphalia and Lower Saxony pieces I like. Bremen, Bavaria and "BaWü" are interesting too as they combine various elements.

Note that the Bundesrat coin is not really part of the series. Which state is honored depends on what state has the Bundesrat (second chamber of the federal parliament, members represent the states) presidency, and that order is determined by state population. Due to changes in the populations, the order changed at some point, so the current president of the Bundesrat is Daniel Günther, governor (Ministerpräsident) of Schleswig-Holstein. But SH already had "its" coin ... So this year's piece is a "filler", but makes sense as 2019 marks the 70th anniversary of the Bundesrat.

Also note that the first four issues have the full country name on the ring. Later legislation however specified that the Stars of Europe need to be depicted as they appear on the European Flag. The country name then got replaced by the "D" identifier - in my opinion the "DE" code would have more sense, as the single letter almost looks like a mintmark ...

Christian

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    Seba79 and Seattlite86 like this.
  4. Seattlite86

Germans and their rules ;) thanks for the background info. I agree that it should’ve been DE. I also agree that some of them are a little... boring.

chrisild likes this.
  5. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

Very nice collection! Unfortunate that you have to spend them, but 2 Euro is a high denom. of coin.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

High? Nah, not here. ;) At least for the Germans, the €2 denomination is less than the 5 DM coin (€2.56) we had until roughly 20 years ago. And these are circulating commemoratives, with a mintage of 30 million per issue, so spending them at face is just the right thing to do with pieces that one does not want to keep.

Christian

Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

About as bad as some other country's rules about presidential dollars and when that series has to come to an end. ;) But I agree, this Länder/States series could simply have been continued as originally scheduled. Ooh no, cannot happen. Sigh, the rules ...

Christian

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. Seattlite86

I think that @Legomaster1 is saying that because the 2€ coins are high denominations for a coin (as opposed to say, a 1 cent coin), I cannot simply keep one of each, because it would end up costing me over $20, whereas if they were 1 cent coins, it would only cost me 20 cents. If that is what he meant, then I 100% agree. I'd love to keep them, but I just can't afford to. My pockets aren't that deep ;)

Legomaster1 likes this.
  9. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Oh, that makes sense, yes. As for your pockets, you could always sell this coin. (duck)

Christian

10. Seattlite86

:punch:

11. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Very nice collection! Congrats!

Seattlite86 likes this.
  12. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Nice set! From a collector's point of view, the 2 Euro commem coins are the most interesting by far. Picked up a couple of nice ones two years ago in Munich. Heading back in June, with side trips to Austria and northern Italy, so I'm hopeful I'll find several more to fill out my own set.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  13. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

When one likes collecting modern coins, spending 28 € for 14 different coins doesn't look that much.
    On the other hand, spending them at face value isn't an issue. As stated by @chrisild, they are very common and not worth more than 2 €

Congrats on putting them together in such good condition

Q

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted