Was it worth it??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Seattlite86, Mar 11, 2019.

?

Was this coin worth not being able to buy any more coins for at least the rest of the year?

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    78.3%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Well, I’ve landed myself on coin probation. I’m not even allowed to look at coins I want to buy until 2020, maybe 2021. My crime? Buying (with wife approval) this 1614 Doppeltaler. Was it worth it?

7A36F570-7DF7-4E1A-8C70-0D2A317EB1F9.jpeg 98622553-43F7-4C5D-81E4-09F5F22151CD.jpeg CF4389AA-8EC4-49F6-9332-88AF29E4A9ED.jpeg

Feel free to show any of your coins or purchases that landed you on coin probation! Details on how long it lasted and if you were let out (or let yourself out) early for good behavior or got it extended.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

When I come home with a new coin, my parents usually ask a few questions-
    Do you have enough money to pay your monthly car payment?
    Is you gas tank full enough?
    Do you have any outstanding debt that you haven't paid?
    If the answers are Yes, Yes and No, then I am in the clear :D

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Your wife is never going to let you forget it!

Chris

spirityoda and Seattlite86 like this.
  5. Seattlite86

Truth. But she did let me buy this coin! :)

6. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

Well, @Seattlite86, it looks like you purchased a really cool coin. But, not being able to buy coins for the whole year- well, that seems a bit too intense of a purchase.
    Altogether, if you enjoy the coin, and if you were looking at this coin for quite some time, then it was definitely worth it. Congratulations on your acquisition!

Mernskeeter and Seattlite86 like this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

And, she will never let you forget that, either!

Chris

Nyatii and Seattlite86 like this.
  8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

what country is this coin from ?

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. Legomaster1

Looks like it's from Germany or German states.

10. Seattlite86

Austria. Teutonic Order coin from Maximilian I. I originally wanted to get a German Taler, but fell in love with this design. I’m really hoping it is a problem free coin.

Paul M. and Legomaster1 like this.
  11. Legomaster1

12. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I also found it in German States /Teutonic Order.
    DAV#A5854 1614 2 Thaler.
    from my 2003 3rd edition Krause world coin catalog...
    grade/value
    VG-$350 F-$650 VF-$1,150 XF-$2,000 UNC-$ ?
    not sure what your coins grade is ? VF-XF ?
    I am almost certain that values are way higher now. how much did you pay for it ?
    That coin is so cool on so many levels. :cool::cat::cat::cat:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Seattlite86 likes this.
  13. Seattlite86

Thanks! I paid about $1,600. More than I’ve ever paid for any single coin purchase. Since my monthly budget is $50, this was a significant exception for me. I’m hoping it grades straight at around XF45/AU50. If it makes that grade, I deem the purchase well worth it. If not, well, let’s wait and see.

Roman Collector likes this.
  14. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

well worth it in my opinion. Most I paid on a coin was $750.00 it is the king of my collection Belgium 1832 10 centimes. NGC MS-65. well worth this grade rarity.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  15. Seattlite86

Pics or it didn’t happen.

Mernskeeter likes this.
  16. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

proof...

DSC_0721.JPG
    DSC_0724.JPG
    DSC_0758.JPG
    DSC_0759.JPG

The King of my collection and very proud of it too. I love the lion.

17. Seattlite86

spirityoda likes this.
  18. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

German states or Austria, doesn’t make a big difference for most people outside of the EU...

19. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Congratulations! That’s a coin which absolutely needs to be graded to ensure authenticity and to see if it makes AU or not. Please keep us posted!

I like the coin a lot, but I think raw coins of this era are too much of a gamble. I wouldn’t know how to grade Doppelthalers and the price guides only list ballpark numbers.

spirityoda and Seattlite86 like this.
  20. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Magnificent coin. The question of one awesome coin versus a half dozen less expensive coins I like, is one I grapple with in my own collecting. Personally I lean to the second option, but only you can decide what is the most bang for your buck to you.

Hookman, coin_nut and Seattlite86 like this.
  21. Seattlite86

This was definitely a struggle for me. I found many single Talers in that range +/- $500 and thought that if I’m only ever able to afford one of these beauties, I wanted it to be really nice. If this means I start collecting more of them, I didn’t want to feel like I needed to upgrade this coin down the road. I was elated to find a coin in decent shape in this range and a Doppel nonetheless. I’ll have it in hand soon and promptly send it off to NGC for authentication. This one will hopefully outlast all of my other coins. I’ll need to sell a few of them anyhow to get off of probation (not that this will happen any time this year).

Draft saved Draft deleted