I do not collect gold bullion, but love AV coinage....

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by panzerman, Feb 17, 2019.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

To show how underpriced gold is, all of the gold ever mined will fit in the infield of Yankee Stadium, if gold bars were piled 18" high. That is not enough to fill a large mansion. Also, how much has been lost over past 6000 years. Few samples from my collection... IMG_0692.JPG IMG_0693.JPG IMG_0704.JPG IMG_0700.JPG IMG_0701.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

shiny...:cool:

panzerman likes this.
  4. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

That Transylvania Ducat is so sweet!

panzerman likes this.
  5. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Nice designs on all of them, I favor those with more intricacy like the Regensburg. Thanks for sharing...Spark

panzerman likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If my memory serves me correctly, on one of the episodes of "Gold Rush" a bit of trivia was mentioned that about 5% of all the gold in the earth is/was found in the upper crust. The remaining 95% is in the molten core.

Chris

panzerman likes this.
  7. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Yes, I heard that too, I am a fan of "Gold Rush"! I really love the exotic crystaline nuggets on Heritage auctions. 0cc4b56be3b01c2705d7c629cbcdc297.jpg

cpm9ball likes this.
  8. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

This was found in a back yard, just not my back yard...:(

9. mpcusa

10. mpcusa

11. mpcusa

12. mpcusa

Heres a bonus, also NOT FOUND IN MY BACK YARD.. :(

13. mpcusa

14. mpcusa

For anybody that,s wants to see these, there on display at where else...
    The Golden Nugget ( Las Vegas Nevada ) who knew !!

panzerman likes this.
  15. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

I was going to start a thread, but you opened the door. I am not good at commerce. I sell my labor but I do not do well at horse trading. In numismatics, I buy what I like, but to make money you have to buy what other people like. That being as it is, the fact is that I have done best - and for me, suprisingly well - with "numismatic bullion."

I always had an attraction for 19th century common gold. The sovereigns and 20 francs etc., that sell for 5% to 25% over spot. One series of sovereigns has die numbers on the reverse. The Russian 5 ruble might not be "liquid" on the streets of Laredo, but local dealers do not always see a lot of them and it becomes an item that they can mark up. The same is true of an Angel or Rooster or Vrenli with fetching luster.

I just think that for the small difference I pay, am better off with a No Motto $5 Liberty than yet another Quarter AGE.

On the other side of the coin, most of my libertarian comrades think that they are sharp and conservative because they only buy bullion and do not care about numismatic value. And when we are having a partyarchy dinner they show these off-brand No-Name Mint silver rounds. I cannot get through to them on the fact that one of the attributes of coinage is that the stamp is a guarantee. An ounce is 31.1 grams and some small mints will make theirs 31.2 just be more marketable. But you have to know that and use a scale. And they just buy these things by the roll for spot and never ask themselves why that could be.

We all have our passions. This round has no Mint name, but it was created for the Faber Castell company, so for me, as a writer with two Mont Blancs, this one ounce of bullion is better than an ounce of bullion, which is all I paid for it.
    Sierra Pens Faber Castell.png
    Will a dealer pay more than bullion? Probably not. But I can make a better case for this against yet another Seated Liberty Knock-Off that could be from a melt of 0.720 Mexican Pesos.

panzerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted