How Would you Spend $1000 on Silver?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by logantrky, Apr 16, 2016.

1. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

He might want to do a little research at the online retailers. Check both their buy and sell prices for the items he is interested in. The spread from buy to sell will give him an idea of what to expect when selling. It won't be 100% the same day to day and week to week, but it is at least some type of expectation.

Also, buying what he likes is not a horrible idea, but it sounds to me like he's looking at bang for his buck.

-jeffB likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BargainHunterCoins

BargainHunterCoins New Member

An ASE carries a premium, but it is very recognizable and sells easily. Also, Canadian maples are known for getting milk spots.

4. SD51555

SD51555 Active Member

Look at a few different bullion sites. They'll also list their buy back price on the items. What you also have to look at is the spread on what the dealer is willing to pay for ASEs vs bars and rounds. You get back some of that higher premium on ASEs when you sell to the right place. It doesn't always work that way, but there can be a difference.

5. noname

noname Well-Known Member

Group-purchase 70-80 low grade Morgans, and yes, I know, "Quality before quantity".

6. Player11

Player11 Bullish

I like PCGS / NGC MS69 Bullion coins I can get for melt + $15 or less. Many times I get these for just a couple of bucks what a raw piece costs.

7. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

I think I would buy a lot of coins that will have some numismatic value soon, so that they move into being worth a lot more than just their silver value. Maybe Barber quarters if I could get them, Walking Libs, war nickels, etc. I would try to make the thousand worth more instantly, and then see what they do when silver goes up.

HardTruths likes this.
  8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Wouldn't we all.

9. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

There are other non traditional ways to invest in silver. For example, coin silver spoons and pocket knives. They are plentiful and collecting them can be addictive. They were popular up until the 20th century, with variations galore. But, if I were investing in traditional coins my pick would be (and has been) US 90% silver coins. Biggest reason for buying "junk coinage" is they have a high recognition factor. (photos not mine)

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

avr5700 likes this.
  10. Player11

Player11 Bullish

ASE rolls and probably about 20 nice slabbed ones MS69-70.

11. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Diversification is a good reason for precious metals. Just don't go overboard. And I totally disagree on the subject of graded bullion.

12. SilverMike

SilverMike Well-Known Member

The liquidity of ASEs and 90% junk silver is hard to beat. I also like one other poster's point that it is relatively easy to divide / disperse those holdings among survivors if he ends up not selling them. That strategy might be helpful if he decides to hold them for a long time.

The dollar cost averaging method of jumping in is a good idea too. If he can spread some of it out into early next year maybe govmint.com will run a similar promotion as they did this year, which was less than $2 over spot and free shipping for up to 10 coins. That was an awesome deal!

13. avr5700

avr5700 Member

OP, I think building a base on 90% US, perhaps dimes, would be a great choice. No matter the choice, it's all just going to sit around...which idle bits of metal do you want to have in the SDB or at the bottom of that nearby lake? ;)

Yeah, get some sterling spoons already.

14. John King

John King Member

I like the idea of dollar cost averaging your purchase of gold or silver. Nobody knows when next bull market will come in precious metals. The price may shoot up to the moon in five years and hit the deck the next year. If you are buying as insurance then 5% of your assets might go into gold or silver. I would buy junk silver coins in low denominations for that purpose. If you are speculating in silver you will probably get burned unless you can wait 40 years. Same with gold if you look at charts of prices of precious metals over last 100 years you see about three bull markets with large spikes. 30-40 years between spikes. I can't wait that long!

15. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

I would buy as many Walking Liberty halves, Mercury dimes and Standing Liberty quarters as you can at junk silver prices. They are sure to go up in price, since they are the next ones to move into numismatic coins. They can be bought for around 14x face, because I just did that last week. Try to get Standing Lib quarters that you can read the date on, but don't worry. Stack them and in a couple of years they will be worth way more than you paid for them.

16. John King

John King Member

Where do you buy your junk silver?

17. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

The junk yard, obviously...

I've found that the best place is an LCS where they don't really specialize in it. If you don't have one of those, try the online retailers or ebay, just be careful and watch the premiums.

18. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

19. Player11

Player11 Bullish

50 / 50 mix PCGS MS69 AND MS 70 ASE, MEX LIBERTAD, CANADA BISON

20. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

There's lots of stories and speculators - and I rarely listen to any of them. I watch what's really happening in the market and make my own judgment calls.

True junk silver is where I've found the most bang for the buck, but it is getting harder to find.

Auctions and estates with sterling silverware, medals, jewelry, etc...

You'd be amazed at what you find.

I've had several huge wins.

I bought a "box of belts" for $5 at auction. 2 silver buckles in it - one with a 1928-P Peace Dollar. Nobody bothered to look. Roughly $100 in value.

I bought a set of Franklin Mint commemorative plates for $20 that were ~8ozt sterling silver each. They were in an auction lot box labeled "used dishes." Sold on Ebay for ~$450

I've seen people score hundreds of dollars of silver solder in lots called "used welding supplies" and there's all kinds of other hidden treasures out there.

You just gotta hunt!

Draft saved Draft deleted