How much silver do you have?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by silverstackerdjb, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Mr Roots

Mr Roots Underneath The Bridge

537 GNx were made in 87 and 20,000 GN made in 87.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

The OP may have stacked his silver from roll searching which would have cost him face value, not a bad investment. Also if he purchased it at or below melt still not too bad. My 13 year old nephew has quite a bit of silver nearly all of it found roll searching and he's proud of every coin he's found. He also has about 10 Morgans that a family friend sold him like $17 each while charging my brother in law around $25. Sometimes its good to be a kid.

Garlicus and Mickey in PDX like this.
  4. Danjohnson

Danjohnson Well-Known Member

Big differences between "Saving", "Investing" and "Speculating". At 14, the OP sounds like he is well ahead of the game so kudos to him.

My advice, (if he doesn't know yet) is to learn what "Keynesian Cultism" is and how it affects "Saving", "Investing" and "Speculating" in the "real world" (not academic la la land). (lol)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    Roygbiv likes this.
  5. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Aggregate SPENDING equals aggregate INCOME, by DEFINITION. Therefore, saving (the alternative to spending) is anti-economic growth. Saving used to be needed to provide funding for investment in plant and equipment. It isn't needed for that purpose any more so saving is an oddity - a MICROeconomic virtue which when taken to extreme becomes a MACROeconomic vice. Therefore, when consumption becomes constrained, government spending augments it to prevent recession.

When government spending is properly aimed (toward spending that doesn't immediately leak out of the economy by purchasing imported goods) it works ABSOLUTELY every time it has ever been tried.

6. Danjohnson

Good luck plugging the "leak"(s) in your economic theory unless you are declaring current economic conditions a victory? Otherwise, we're dealing with global "MACROeconomic"(s) which drags us directly into the "Triffin dilemma".

And oh by the way, have you seen the news on who's purchasing the "barbarous relic" lately? Weird...

"So it is significant that central banks are turning back to annual gold purchases in line with a century of practice between 1870 and 1970. This appears to be restoring gold as a central element of monetary management after four decades of attempted demonetization, according to reserve statistics compiled by the Official Monetary and Financial Institutions Forum, the financial research group.

Annual net gold purchases of 350 tons a year by world central banks over the past eight years have returned to the 100-year average up to 1970 — reflecting gold’s renewed attractiveness as a safe-haven asset in an environment of uncertainty and low or negative interest rates
    ."

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/central-banks-have-been-buying-gold-with-a-vengeance-2016-09-19

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  7. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

I have a little bit.

To the OP, don't let these crust old farts sway you from what you want to do. Buy what you want to buy and have some fun with it....and don't grow up, it's a trap.

mill rat41, longnine009 and Garlicus like this.
  8. V. Kurt Bellman

Real nice misapplication of facts there, Dan. Yes, some central banks are indeed increasing gold holdings. But the United States central bank, the Federal Reserve, is neither increasing nor decreasing theirs. They had zero gold five years ago and they have zero gold today. The Federal Reserve holds no gold, unless you mean in the physical "yes we'll store it for you" sense. The basement vaults at the New York Federal Reserve bank are well rented. All U.S. gold reserves are held (owned) by the Treasury Department of the U.S. Government, not the Federal Reserve. Yes, you can quickly walk from one building to the other, but they're not the same thing. Some world central banks need to hold gold as a part of their assets, because not every economy deals in the foreign exchange market, only the biggest do.

Also, as a percentage of their balance sheets, the amount of gold central banks hold now is near an all-time low. Have the stockpiles increased? Sure, but more slowly than other asset classes.

9. Danjohnson

I imagine they have great faith in their (reserve) currency but apparently the rest of the world is starting to question that faith; Including me and apparently other individuals here as well.

Very reasonable IMO, to have some "Savings" stored in PMs in light of our macro economy and currency being grossly mismanaged.

10. V. Kurt Bellman

And yet the whole rest of the world still seems to believe we're at least the "least dirty shirt in the laundry". The world's "safe haven" in times of turmoil continues to be the U.S. dollar, even now, even more than PM's.

11. Danjohnson

Of course, "Gresham's Law" runs the show and the dollar is truly "the least dirty shirt" medium of exchange. But I wouldn't "Save" long term wealth in it anymore than I would the other "shirts" under current conditions.

12. Roygbiv

Roygbiv Member

From all the bullion coins there are I think the Maple Leaf is the most ugly indeed.
    I love Libertads as well. Dreaming of the complete 2016 proof set. But can't afford it at the moment.
    The sets I am running are: ASE proofs , Kookaburas , ATB-P 5Oz x 2 (in 2021 I'll
    be 71... and then I sell if I am still here).
    BTW I am selling my avatar coin. Heritage auctions NOV NYC. Very special rim.
    Scannen0020.jpg

Attached Files:

longarm likes this.
  13. V. Kurt Bellman

Well then, to be consistent, you'll probably need to take a "long" position in handbaskets, too.

14. V. Kurt Bellman

Cool digitally reversed tone image.

15. Roygbiv

Roygbiv Member

"Cool digitally reversed tone image." ???
    Me no comprende. If you could be more specific please.

16. Roygbiv

Roygbiv Member

When I was 14 I was chasing women (actually young teenage girls) in my fast car (1967 Chevrolet Chevelle SS with a 413 Big Block engine) on the strip in West Texas. The only coins I was interested in were quarters so I could play PAC-Man at the local 7-11 or Handy Hut!!!! Ah...those were the days. ;););)

Reminds me of a poster in a Bangkok pub.
    "Most of my money I spent on women and booze.The rest I just wasted.

17. Roygbiv

Roygbiv Member

"Cool digitally reversed tone image." ???
    Me no comprende. If you could be more specific please.

You are telling me I am a cheat ?

18. Truble

Truble Well-Known Member

Probably was.

19. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

I had a '67 SS Camero in high school, boy those were the days.

20. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

I had a 1967 GTO, 400, 4-speed.

21. V. Kurt Bellman

No, I'm merely telling you (and everyone here with more than 5 seconds worth of digital imaging experience can see) that both your previous avatar photo and the file Scannen0016.jpg (both shots of your 1/10 oz. platinum eagle) are altered images by doing a complete "negative" of the original photograph. Coins do not cast light shadows onto black backgrounds. They cast dark shadows onto white backgrounds.

Test it for yourself. Load it up on an iOS device, hit the home button three times rapidly in sequence. Voila! The original photograph.

You do have a nice little piece there which represents right now about $103 worth of bullion plus whatever in fabrication and a proof bump. The rims ARE interesting, but hardly inexplicable. All platinum proofs are struck 4 times. Stuff can happen.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted