How much GOLD is enough, to provide security for your family ?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by mpcusa, Feb 19, 2023.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

One thing you can be sure of: if you always think a recession is right around the corner, from time to time you'll be right, guaranteed.

At this point, though, I think we're far enough past due that I'm starting to question some assumptions about (a) how you define a recession really and (b) what kinds of signs are guaranteed to point to one.

Mr. Flute likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

I believe the major capitalists (like Dimon) keep warning about it, it will likely happen out of fear, but that's exactly what said capitalists want so they can acquire discounted assets.

[​IMG]

4. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Debt levels are not a problem for the most part. Interest servicing costs are still super-low and unlike 2008 when 40% of debt was variable today only about 10% of debt is floating.

5. Eric the Red

Eric the Red Well-Known Member

Retail price of gold in Japan hits all-time high of $67 per gram! That's $2154.00 PER TROY OUNCE!

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  6. -jeffB

Retail price of 1/10 oz AGEs is north of $2400 per ounce. Retail prices of small weights are always higher. Or am I misunderstanding your post?

7. Eric the Red

Per gram :)
    US current per gram 61.30

8. -jeffB

No, no, when you said "per gram" I thought you meant "in one-gram quantities".

What does "the retail price of gold" mean in Japan, or anywhere, though? I mean, here in the US right now spot gold is $1905 or $1915 depending on where I look. That's the price for a 400-ounce good delivery bar, if I'm not mistaken.

APMEX quotes gold at $1915/oz, and is selling random-date AGEs "as low as" $2085, $2100 for singles with check or wire payment. One-ounce generic gold bars are "as low as" $2000. If I went to the local pawnshop, they'd probably want $2500 or more. Which of these is "the retail price of gold"?

9. Eric the Red

Relax Jeff it's just an indicator that demand for gold continues to rise:)

10. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

That seems rich.....my LCS charges a markup of about $60-$70 for a 1-oz. bullion coin or just under $2,000.

11. -jeffB

JM Bullion is advertising random-date UNC AGEs at $2096 (1) to $2081 (100), with a buy-back price of $1949. That's a bit more spread than I expected, and while their buy and sell prices might be higher than your LCS, their buy prices aren't high enough to let you profit from arbitrage. :rolleyes:

12. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

Brutality always looses in the end.

13. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Prices and premiums are all relative but it all depends on your personal investment
    strategy, have always been a long term investor as a matter of fact I still have my lunch money from the second grade...LOL

Jeffjay likes this.
  14. bob1929

bob1929 New Member

just 1 more ounce

15. bob1929

bob1929 New Member

in a mad max type colapse, they wouldnt. guns and ammo are the king of the mountain. so your stack should have a ton gold and silver a mountain of guns and ammo.

mpcusa likes this.
  16. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Lots of both would be ideal :)

17. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Gold and silver is of course a good basis if the area is civil to each other. Several weapons ( best if all same caliber) that use the same ammunition). But be sure to have all medications your family require stored at correct temperature for an extended amount of time. Have a set of medical instruments a RN might use and if you are close to a medical person beg for some pill form medications for any current
    problems in the family. Best if they can stay active in your home if no electricity. The cheap walkie-talkies can be handy also and the new Li-ion batteries stay charged well. You can buy a set of automobile jitter-keys (China) in case your car is not working. Most of these are illegal, but mentioned here if you are writing a dystopial book :)

18. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

What are jitter keys?

19. psuman08

psuman08 Active Member

I agree with those that say buying stocks and mutual funds is the best long-term investment to build wealth. Yes, I have some gold as a store of value, but it and silver are not good long-term investments.

If you are spending $6-$8K a month, which you claim is going to be passed on to your family (meaning you don't expect to need it), I'd be buying NVDA, AAPL, MU, TSLA. Yes, they are all way up and yes there will be some volatility in their prices. If you are truly a long-term investor (say 10 years), I would bet (I'd like to say guarantee, but there are no guarantees) you will have outperformed gold even if it goes to 5K an ounce. We are at the start of the next industrial revolution, and you can still get in on it. Again, long-term, not with your nest egg, you should be aggressively investing in tech.

masterswimmer and -jeffB like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted