How much GOLD is enough, to provide security for your family ?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by mpcusa, Feb 19, 2023.

1. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Exactly. That's why having your own stores of barterable goods is your means of apocalyptic commerce.

Jeffjay likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

depending on the situation bad worse or in different, if theres complete KAOS
    maybe not but if there is some kind of commerce that exists you will need
    something to trade...

4. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

@mpcusa

A small percentage of your investments should be in PMs, but the best way to provide future security for your family is minimize all costs right now.
    • Debt free cars
    • Debt free domicile (maybe even simply be a renter)
    • Large cash reserves
    • Debt free productive real estate (rentable land and/or housing)
    • No CC/consumer debt
    • No student loans
    For the SHTF scenarios...distance from other people...and a secret fresh water source.

Dug13, Heavymetal and mpcusa like this.
  5. mpcusa

I am a home owner free and clear and
    have an additional property that is free
    and clear as well, so have that under control, I like GOLD for the inflation aspect we got going on right now, and
    who knows how that’s going to look in the future ?

6. mpcusa

I am a home owner free and clear and
    have an additional property that is free
    and clear as well, so have that under control, I like GOLD for the inflation aspect we got going on right now, and
    who knows how that’s going to look in the future ?

7. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

I can
    check all the boxes.

Mr. Flute likes this.
  8. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

Who sets the price? The person that had the goods that you needed could pretty much ask whatever they wanted.

masterswimmer and mpcusa like this.
  9. mpcusa

That would have to be decided and agreed to by both, when it comes
    right down to it who needs the goods
    and services the most.

10. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Precisely this ^^^.

That's why using gold or silver in a TEOTWAWKI situation is absurd. In that scenario the person/group with the water, food, medical supplies, alcohol, ammo, guns, cigarettes, feminine products, etc can name their price if you only have PM's to trade. However, if you have, some of the above list they need, then a barter negotiation can prevail.

This is why the thought process of using PM's in the apocalypse is ridiculous. Stock up on the non perishable essentials to make your stores valuable. Those who think outside the box with their prepping will become an asset to a group of like minded survivalists.

Mr. Flute likes this.
  11. mpcusa

The good thing about foam, its always over the top :)

-jeffB likes this.
  12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Almost always.

frothingslosh.jpg

slackaction1 and Heavymetal like this.
  13. charley

charley Well-Known Member

PMs will be useless in a societal collapse. It will be the very last item that would be considered as having any real value for survival.

PMs in general are a con and have been since the earliest use as an economic exchange. I include gems in my opinion, as equally useless.

Somebody post that Prove me wrong Meme.

14. -jeffB

I'm kinda expecting (and certainly hoping) not to see this proven right OR wrong. If we made it through the 1960s and 1970s, we can make it through the next few decades.

I'm prepared for recession, possibly depression, short- and medium-term natural disasters, and many forms of political catastrophe. If there's a zombie apocalypse or a dinosaur-killer asteroid impact, well, it's been a good life -- I'm not much interested in prolonging the horrible part.

Mr. Flute likes this.
  15. charley

The 60s and 70s were a cakewalk, compared to the world economic and social conditions today.

Societal collapse is #1 on the OhOh list now. It will not take dinos, zombies or asteroids to bring about an economic worldwide societal collapse.

Eric the Red and masterswimmer like this.
  16. -jeffB

The civil upheaval in those decades, not to mention the Cold War, certainly didn't seem like a cakewalk at the time. I'm still not quite sure how we made it through the 1980s without a nuclear excursion.

I will agree that the world is more tied together today, for better or for worse, and that any collapse is more likely to be worldwide instead of national or regional. Just-in-time manufacturing and massive outsourcing saves money, but when things go wrong enough, it doesn't just become more expensive, it breaks down completely. We might back far enough away from it before that happens.

17. charley

It sure seemed like a cakewalk to me, compared to societal out of norm over the top hostile and violent conditions worldwide now, to me.

Your 2nd paragraph is closer in an alignment to the thrust of my thoughts, and are in fact the basis of my Humpty Dumpty soliloquy.

It is occurring at an incredible speed, with the goal of economic capitulation, by all participants against each other by any means/justification/methods, against any perceived infraction, be it economic, territorial, political or ideological differences. The worldwide population that is experiencing life denying hunger, loss of the most basic shelter, basic medical need and ability to have protection from societal ills has reached an unsustainable level of recovery.

18. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I agree with Mr. Flute and some of the other similar comments, precious metals, guns, ammo, etc. are not going to save anyone when SHTF. I can check each of the things most needed for survival he mentioned, except consulting with a doctor you know and get supplies of necessary as well as "just in case" supplies and a survival guide if you don't know much about medicine or broken bones. They would likely be worth more to people overall than precious metals. gemstones, or
    a bank account. Archery supplies are often overlook in favor of firearms, but in the long run probably more lasting. May it not come for another couple of decades and our environment will do away with humans. Jim

jim

19. Mr Roots

Mr Roots Underneath The Bridge

Anything you can’t hide in your jail purse is too much.

20. Mr Roots

Mr Roots Underneath The Bridge

….so keep on stacking mpcusa.

21. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

To be clear, my list is for 'normal' security in difficult normal times...like a major job/primary income loss type situations.

I'm the vast majority of our household income (family of 5 with three teens) and if I loss my job (like I did due to the Great Recession in 2010) then I want most of the list for my family's security.

-jeffB likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted