How much GOLD is enough, to provide security for your family ?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by mpcusa, Feb 19, 2023.

1. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I try and buy as much GOLD as possible every month usually between 3 - 4 OZ a month
    and I usually split that up between Krugerrands, Liberties and Saints, but I have really
    been wondering how much is enough, with rising inflation and the fed constantly moving
    up rates, whats a comfortable amount to hold ? but of course tis is an individual situation
    based on your budget.

fretboard likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David Betts

David Betts Elle Mae Clampett cruising with Dad

I like to split between gold/silver Mapleflex sheets ! In case we may need them. Come in 1 -1oz, 4 1/2 oz and 8 1/4 per sheet breakaways 5 oz per sheets?

4. David Betts

David Betts Elle Mae Clampett cruising with Dad

oops doubled? Alexa?

5. GoOoldmember

GoOoldmember Smoke and a pancake?

There is no answer to this question. As much as you can afford?

6. mpcusa

Of course budget is part of the discussion also GOLD value in the future and
    who knows what that will be, most like to have assets split up that way there
    covered on all fronts.

7. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

What do you mean by "security for your family"? Are you trying to buffer against the economy completely collapsing? Like an emergency fund to get out of the country? Or something like that?

Unless some kind of apocalyptical situation occurs (What are the chances?), then precious metals are not the most efficient way to ensure long-term financial security. If you have enough disposable income to purchase 3-4 ounces of gold each month, then tossing that money into mutual funds will almost assuredly outperform gold over the long run (put some in foreign markets if the US markets scare you). There are other more tangible assets, like real estate, etc for which the same is true.

Gold would be nice to have if things really went to hell in a handbasket, however, I'm not sure it would even be the best thing to have invested in under those circumstances. At some point, the most forward thinking investment would have been guns and piles of ammo. But, if things get that bad, then I don't really think that I'd want to stick around anyway.

All just my opinions of course, each to their own.

Mr. Flute, LakeEffect, -jeffB and 4 others like this.
  8. mpcusa

Stocks are in the crapper, and I am sure they will be that way for sometime
    especially with the fed constantly raising rates which has allot of ripple effect
    such as real estate, my son sales real estate for a living higher interest rates
    means fewer clients can afford homes, I really like physical GOLD its something
    you can hold on to and its real, gives me allot more security then anything
    else at least at the present time anyway.

daniel a DiBiasio and Cherd like this.
  9. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yes, as much as you can afford is a great answer and that's how most of us "foamless" collectors roll! 112.gif

AdamL and mpcusa like this.
  10. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

In the worst case scenario the single best thing to own is land and the ability to grow food on it.

Dug13, BBBeth, Mr. Flute and 2 others like this.
  11. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Hence the reason the wealthiest billionaires are buying dirt in huge amounts of acreage, ie: Bill Gates, Ted Turner and Jeff Bezos.

Evan Saltis and Mr. Flute like this.
  12. Cherd

If we are talking about a truly "worst case scenario" here, then "owning" land won't really mean anything. When brutality rules, the person that stockpiled the guns and ammo will also have the land :jimlad:

LakeEffect likes this.
  13. mpcusa

if Armageddon happens paper money will be worthless, stocks will be as well
    the only thing Thant wont be will be PM,S most mentionable will be GOLD, would
    say Silver but to a much lesser extent only be cause it would be far to heavy for
    the value 1/10 OZ GOLD coins would be ideal as you could carry allot of those
    and still have money :)

14. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

Hopefully those with the guns would be too busy killing each other off.

15. Cherd

Assuming that a semblance of society, productivity, and a functioning economy remains, precious metals will probably always retain some value. But, in a truly worst case scenario (not enough food to keep everybody alive, zero manufacturing, etc) gold will be perceived as exactly what it's been all along...... A pretty, but useless, hunk of metal.

Just like fiat currency, gold only has value because we all agree that it has value. In reality, aside from a few negligible manufacturing applications, it has none.

Paper....Metal.... when it comes down to it, it's all the same useless stuff if you can't eat it, drink it, shelter yourself with it, or make something useful out of it.

Artificial stores of wealth only work when there is excess wealth to be stored.

Dug13, Mr. Flute and LakeEffect like this.
  16. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Not talking about a worst case scenario by any stretch of the imagination. When it all shakes out with the WEF, those ultimately in control, want a meatless, fossil fuel free, population reducing, bend the knee to them, society.

A plant based diet means fertile farmland to harvest. Even a carnivorous society needs grazing land for the livestock.

Makes you 'wonder' why Billy Gates is such a strong proponent of plant based burgers. Always follow the Benjamin's.

17. mpcusa

in a bad situation there would need to be some kind of trade going on to
    get the limited goods that would be available, GOLD and silver would be
    the only game in town or trade goods for work, depending on the situation that
    is.

18. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Stocks are ON SALE.

If you buy anything when the price is high and sell it when the price is low, you aren't going to make out very well.

If gold drops to $1500, will you buy less per month, or more per month?

LakeEffect likes this.
  19. mpcusa

my investment strategy is long term so
    prices will move up and down, since I am
    not a flipper when it comes to GOLD
    I buy every month regardless of price

20. mpcusa

my investment strategy is long term so
    prices will move up and down, since I am
    not a flipper when it comes to GOLD
    I buy every month regardless of price

21. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

In a bad situation, why would anyone trade valuable food, water, shelter, weapons, or ammunition for completely useless gold or silver?

Mr. Flute, AdamL, Cherd and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted