How much gold is actually in these?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Good Cents, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Good Cents

Good Cents Well-Known Member

This was a great explanation. Thank you.

yakpoo and myownprivy like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I think you'll want to edit this one too... ;)

4. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

You can figure it out on your own. Weigh the coin in grams, multiply that by the fineness and you have the weight of gold. Divide that number by 31.1 and you have the AGW in Troy ounces.

Good Cents likes this.
  5. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

No, that's right. The first bolded statement of mine deals with gold specifically.
    For instance: Take the coin weight (for example a Gold Eagle 1.0909 ounces) x the gold content (.9167) = the actual gold weight (1 ounce)

The second bolded statement deals with a precious metal in general.
    For instance, if you're looking for the asw weight of a 1964 quarter: Take the coin weight of 6.25 grams x the silver content .9 = asw of 5.625 grams or .1808 ounces.

6. -jeffB

I think the problem is that content can mean either weight (AGW/ASW) or proportion (fineness). If we talk about converting between fineness and weight, there shouldn't be any confusion.

Good Cents likes this.
  7. Good Cents

This was great. Thank you for a formula!

After I did this formula, I checked the NGC website to be sure I was getting it right, and noticed a slight difference.

So I Googled it and this website shows a slight difference from your formula:

https://www.metric-conversions.org/weight/troy-ounces-to-grams.htm

It says to divide it by 32.151 to get the Troy Oz from Grams.

Alternatively, it says to multiply it by 0.032151 to get the Troy Oz from Grams.

https://www.metric-conversions.org/weight/grams-to-troy-ounces.htm

I'm wondering if I made a mistake in my understanding of this.

8. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

I’d find another source for conversion. Those are confusing with the reciprocal values. It’s like flying backwards using a mirror. Sure it works but...

9. -jeffB

One mistake. There are 31.10 grams to a troy ounce. To get troy ounces from grams, you divide by 31.1, or multiply by 1/31.1, which is 0.032 (rounded).

Heavymetal and Good Cents like this.
  10. Good Cents

Hi All.

So, I discovered an interesting Math thing and wanted to share it because you were all kind enough to explain to me how it works with coins and AGW & ASW. So, here's how Grams & Troy Ounces works:

Conversion to and from Grams & Troy Ounces is not the same backwards and forwards. We assume it is, but it's not. It's brain teasing, but it's true. Here's how it works:

1 Troy Ounce = 31.1035 Grams

1 Gram = .32151 Troy Ounces

Why? I don't know. You can ask Math Geeks. But it's true.

Anyway, you were all correct that after weighing a coin in Grams you have to DIVIDE it by 31.1 to get the Troy Ounces.

I assumed that you can then multiply it, but you can't. You can't multiply it by .0311 because even though this may be close, it is not the same and the conversion is all mixed up.

I'm not a Math person, so, I don't understand it, nor do I need to. I just need to know the rules.

Thank you again everyone!

11. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

I think you've just confused yourself unnecessarily.

If one gram =.32151 ounces, then about 3 grams would make an ounce. That's not right.

Also, one gram is the the same as 1/31.1035=.03215. I'm not sure what was strange about that to you.
    You always put the "part" over the "whole" to find out the percentage that "part" equals of the "whole."

12. Good Cents

Thank you. But I'm not very good at math... I will probably just look anything I need to know up on the NGC website. It's the safest way to go for me.

And thank you for introducing me to the term "AGW". That helped a lot in my understanding of how it works. Especially with the AGE being 91.67 purity, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted