How many ounces is this Silver Bar??? Help please!

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by TaborTot22, Apr 21, 2013.

1. TaborTot22

TaborTot22 Well-Known Member

I had someone asking me if I was interested in buying a silver bar. On the bar, there are no markings at all. The seller did have a core of it tested and it was guaranteed to be a 0.999 silver bar.

He said that he had it weighed and it maxed out the scale at 1000g (but it probably weighs more).

The dimensions of the silver bar is 5'' long x 2'' wide x 1'' thick. Any idea how to find out how many ounces the bar is knowing it's dimensions???

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. c10ck3r

c10ck3r Member

4. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Sounds like a scam to me, I would stay far away from that one.

5. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

Is this a friend of yours? I'd be very wary of moving forward with this transaction unless you saw the core sample yourself. Very unusual for a bar to have no markings at all, proceed carefully....

6. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

How was it tested? Sterling and coin silver test similarly to .999 with the acid test... Even if it is .999 it should be purchased at a discount as any professional that may buy it in the future will want to melt assay it... If you couldn't get it for 90% of spot or so I'd walk away.

7. TaborTot22

Well, I might have made a rookie mistake but I ended up purchasing it because the deal was too good to pass up (if it is indeed legit). I didn't have a Strong RareEarth magnet so I tried the "ring test" and the "ice test" (found them on the internet). The bar passed both of them and the guy only wanted $500 for the bar so I bought it. I'll take it to a place tomorrow to get it checked out. I'll either be out $500 or ahead by quite a bit. I'll let you know when I find out.

8. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

I wonder if it's a bar of lead...
    [​IMG]

9. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

If its good... Or even coin silver... You did well...

Got a pic of it?

10. TaborTot22

Here are some pics:

Image80.jpg Image81.jpg Image82.jpg Image83.jpg Let's just hope that IPOD isn't worth more than the bar. :(

11. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

I am almost 98% sure that is not silver. Looks like cast aluminum or stainless.

12. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 Nothing

I it's fake can you get your money back?

13. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

that doesnt look like silver

14. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

Hope you got this guys number. Why didn't you use an acid kit?

15. petro89

petro89 Member

Yeah I gotta agree - it doesn't look right.

16. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

You know what they say about deals that seem too good to be true. No markings, looks like an off color. As someone else noted, the 10 cubic inches of your bar, if it were pure silver, would mean it would weigh a little more than 55 troy ounces, which even at today's prices would be worth around $1250

17. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I think the color looks OK for a cast bar.

18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Do you know this guy, or was he workin' out of the trunk of his car?

19. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

Well I hope for your sake its real but I'd be very worried at this point, there are many warning signs:

No markings on the bar, the bar is very banged up (this one doesn't mean too much, but I'd say generally people are more careful with precious metals), but maybe the biggest warning sign is the guy offered you it for $500 after he presumably had it tested at an LCS. I'd think the majority of LCS would offer 500+ for that bar if its genuine assuming its around the 55 oz stated by other posters based on its dimensions. $500 is $9 per ounce, about 39% of spot.

I hope it works out for you but I believe you took too big a risk on this one assuming this deal was with a stranger who you'll probably never get your money back from if its fake.

20. wood_ster

wood_ster Active Member

I would be taking that to the nearest pawn, or coin show, and have them test it for you, if you are unable to procure acid.

The internet is helping you here, in a big way. "Too good to be true" <-- Seriously, Why would anyone be giving away silver?

I have experience with silver, as do many folks on this board. IT doesn't look like silver, but the fact that it's not magnetic is a okay sign. If it feels rather light, then I would say Aluminum.

21. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Okay, you've got it in-hand, and you can get accurate measurements. Next, weigh it. If nothing else, take it to the grocery store and put it on a produce scale, or take it to the post office and weigh it there. That'll let you determine whether it's close to the right density for silver.

As others have said, I don't think anybody would get this tested at a dealer and then sell it for less than the dealer would offer. But we'll keep our fingers crossed for you.

Draft saved Draft deleted