How Low Will You Go?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Bman33, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

How low will Silver get to until you make a big purchase? I'm thinking $14.50.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Keep targeting $14.50, and you might not buy at all . . .

4. Nyrik

Nyrik New Member

I am not looking to time my investing at a particular bottom. Rather, I make systematic purchases on a monthly basis. This way, when then price goes higher, I will already be "in the market" and not on the sidelines and potentially missing some arbitrary entry point.

juris klavins and ToughCOINS like this.
  5. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Yeah, you may be right. That's the thing with silver, it's crazy. I may never buy again unless it gets to those levels. I just wanted others opinions. You're input is useful though.

Are you referring to DCA? If so I have heard pros and cons to it. With silver I feel it's almost a luck thing.

6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I'm just watching to see how low it will go.
    I'm following a SLV Silver ETF. Maybe if it drops low enough and I have enough built up funds I'll pull the trigger on an ETF (though have to pay taxes after selling). Otherwise I'd contemplate buying physical silver.

I do want to build up an ASE collection from 86 to present. But I'm holding off too watching the silver prices drop ...

7. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

I just bought gold last week, and I'm heading to auction this weekend to see what else I can pick up before the holidays.

Nathan401 and slackaction1 like this.
  8. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Under $16 and I'll start pulling the trigger again.

Steve

9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

The election threw all markets into a loop. The question is when rising asset classes will peak and declining ones will bottom out. Eenie, meenie, .....

juris klavins and slackaction1 like this.
  10. Santinidollar

My investment guy -- a seasoned, honest fellow -- says it is typical in a stock run up like we've had since the election for stocks to pull back by an amount equal to 30 percent of the run up because of profit taking. In short if the run up is $20, the pullback will be $6.

I asked him about metals. He called it a free fall that would likely overshoot, then correct somewhat to the upside. But he said, after that, prices could start falling again in the absence of any major economic event. In other words, a head fake.

slackaction1 likes this.
  11. Rono

Rono Senior Member

Howdy folks,

First off, I don't try to set target buy/sell targets - too much like Technical Analysis (chart reading). I'm more of a Fundamental Analysis type. That lends itself to a regular buying program in the ilk of DCA. That said, I've been married far too long to perhaps the greatest shopper on the face of the earth, to be able to resist a Sale. When the metals go 'on sale', I standing in line like a lot of others.

For the longer run, the new admin promises a lot of spending and economic activity and the Fed just signaled a rate hike, all of which point towards greater inflation. That's on top of the current pullback largely attributable to the rising strength of the dollar.

So, yeppers, I'm buying,

and so it goes,

peace,

rono

12. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

So in other words he is saying metal will go down then up then down then up then down again unless "some economic event" happens in which case they will go down then up then down then up again. In plain English he doesnt have any more of s clue what PM will do than anyone else in the world.

FryDaddyJr likes this.
  13. Santinidollar

I don't intend to argue with you, but that's not what he said. If you don't understand the concept of a "dead cat bounce" in investment markets, then you need to do some brushing up before you let go of your money.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    Brett_in_Sacto and slackaction1 like this.
  14. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I'm going with $15.50, which I'm hoping will happen just before Christmas.

15. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I'm not making any comment on his investment guy, but that really is what metals always have and always will do. When has that not been true in the last half century?

16. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Instead of chasing some arbitrary spot price, just buy high quality product at an acceptable current price (lowest premium available) from a reputable source & purchase at regular intervals (dollar cost averaging) - when the economy heats up and silver spot goes above $20, you'll be OK.:greedy:

17. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Active Member

I would wait around January 1st or so then the markets will rumble.

juris klavins likes this.
  18. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

Well here in California, there's "big time" election blues, rain, dark skies and there was almost nobody at the auction. That translated into BARGAINS for me.

The auction house was also having technical issues with the online bidders, and it all turned into the perfect storm.

A lot of items weren't marked with weight, so I did my homework Friday night and went in and weighed it all.

I found things that were marked 18k listed as 14k. I found things marked as costume jewelry that had karated hallmarks on them, and even on things that were accurate I did well.

I think in total, I averaged somewhere around 60% of melt value. It was awesome!

I haven't tested it all yet, but I've tested enough to know I could go to cash-4-gold right now and make an easy 20%.

And then there's the diamond rings I picked up... As Uncle Jed would say... "Oooooh Dawggie!"

19. Santinidollar

Obviously, there was a good reason why we got told to do our homework as kids!

20. SilverTracker

SilverTracker Well-Known Member

For the everyday purchase I can wait till the price is right, between $ 15.00 to $ 16.00 an ounce. But like right now I am gearing up to purchase the new 2017 world bullion coins which I get for the kids for Christmas so that I do whatever the spot price is right around now.

21. NittanyLiger

NittanyLiger New Member

What auction do you attend and do you have their online URL? Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted