How does your portfolio stack up ?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by mpcusa, Apr 19, 2021.

1. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Trying to figure out this tale is one of the most difficult decisions you can ever have
    one of the first things to do is diversify, be in many things not just one, doing it this
    way can help you hedge any losses in your portfolio, here are some of the percentages
    I use when I invest but I have recently moved some out of Gold to Bit Coin, just because
    there's More potential there.

So what are your percentages ?

First, I like to have a strong cash position just because if you have an emergency
    you can always draw on that and very easy to liquidate, so that would be number
    one @ 40%

Second, my new best friend Bit Coin, Etherium, Bit Coin Cash, Lite Coin, as I suggested
    at the begging I have moved several onces of Gold over to crypto Gold is great but
    very stagnate as of late and its tied to the dollar which make big moves impossible
    about @ 30%

Thirdly, Platinum, its a great value right now and has allot of room to grow so its my number one PM.
    So @ 20%

Fourth is going to be Gold 10%

fretboard likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Nothing in equities? The stock market is at 0%?

4. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

It’s always good to have a $5,000 emergency fund. A lot of people didn’t have that, which is why COVID-19 hit people hard financially.

You don’t have any stocks though? Not even mutual funds or anything? The stock market is down today, good day to buy some stocks. Even if you don’t know much about it, just pickup some mutual funds that will likely go up in value within the next few years.

midas1 likes this.
  5. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

ROTH, stock splits, index mutual fund and, dividend reinvesting have been my best longterm money making friends.

masterswimmer and Matthew Kruse like this.
  6. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Matthew Kruse and masterswimmer like this.
  7. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Totally on board with all the above. However, the stock splits, although an awesome bonus each time they happen, is nothing we can plan for. I've been in on the last two AAPL splits. They've taken my per share cost down to $15/shr. I've been a happy camper :)

My investment strategy has migrated to income/growth, in my senior years, from primarily growth when I was younger. I do wish I was more weighted to this I/G philosophy from a younger age. Still reaping the benefits of long term, consistent, never leaving the market, investing from a very young age.

Both of my kids are benefiting from dad's investing experience themselves. They both have taught their spouses about the above strategies and the incredible success you can get from the magic of compounding.

The thought of totally leaving the market says everything I need to know about accepting someone's investment advice. The same with 'having to' buy a new car because of a minor scratch on a bumper, on a car with very low mileage.

Matthew Kruse and midas1 like this.
  8. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Very well written and continued good investing to you.
    I worked in IT for many years and bought many IT stocks cheap:Apple, Microsoft, etc. One AAPL split was 7-1
    I still own aapl,msft,intc,amd, and others. I'm doing OK investment income wise but I could have reconfigured my portfolio to yield more income.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    Matthew Kruse and masterswimmer like this.
  9. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  10. rte

rte Well-Known Member

I dont have a dog in the fight.
    I'll offer a good luck with your plan.
    I know an oriental money manager that sold all his stock last month or so and urged his clients to do the same.

11. mpcusa

of course I am, my stocks have done very
    well, so I am not putting any money in at
    the moment so they weren’t included here,
    and for the record only changed my advisor
    still at Merril Lynch for any and all interested
    parties...LOL

12. mpcusa

Everybody has there own way of looking at
    the market and investing, for me it’s long
    term especially with things like BTC and
    always add on the dip :)

fretboard likes this.
  13. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Some of us assumed your 40%, 30% 20% & 10% statement was describing the contents of your investment portfolio. Based on your
    other writings I should have known better.

masterswimmer and Matthew Kruse like this.
  14. Rono

Rono Senior Member

Howdy folks,

We need to separate investment portfolio allocations from wealth allocations. The elder Baron Rothschild once said that to protect your wealth against WTF ever, you should have 1/3 of your wealth in securities, 1/3 in real estate and 1/3 in rare art. Note that securities include anything paper - cash, stocks, bonds, pension, social security, etc. Real estate is obvious, but rare art can be a lot of things. It ain't Beanie Babies, but in my mind, does include rare coins, bullion, Bitcoin, and real collectibles. Run your numbers, but be prepared to blow chunks. I did. Been years now and I'm still working at it.

As for physical bullion, I've always said that everyone should have 5-10% as a core investment. More than this is speculation, which is fine, but a different play. I think it's safe to say, that a portion of this can be in bitcoin, if you so choose. feh. I bought some COIN.

and so it goes,

peace and keep wearing the damn mask,

rono

15. crazyd

crazyd Well-Known Member

Real estate 50%, Stocks/Bonds 48%, PM 2%.

My PM is my emergency fund.

FryDaddyJr likes this.
  16. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

What??? I have a portfolio???? Where is it???? :joyful::joyful::):););)

17. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Outside of Deferred Comp and 401k, I maybe have 50% in land/rentals, 35% in stocks, 9% cash, and 5% pm. I am not sure since I normally do not create a balance sheet to track. Cash is a little high but am looking at some home renovations, and am not actively putting more cash in stocks right now after tax. I would not mind buying PT but cannot find any with reasonable premiums. This ignores of course my coins, which are my hobby money I do not sell.

Man, I should have invested more in copper romex. I bought maybe 8 rolls, (when I talk of a roll, I mean a regular roll of 250', I do not understand smaller rolls), when it was reasonable 4 years ago. I think around $60 for 12/2 and $35 for 14/2. Good gosh, have you seen the prices? Home Depot wants $227 for a roll of 12/2 today. Good thing I stocked up for any wiring I need to run before.

midas1 and masterswimmer like this.
  18. mpcusa

Its hidden under all that paper work on your desk...LOL

1stSgt22 likes this.
  19. mpcusa

20. mpcusa

dont worry my home office is only half as clean..LOL

1stSgt22 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted