how do you spot fake Trade Dollars, anyway?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ksparrow, Aug 1, 2009.

1. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I was looking at a TruView of a coin from the same rev die (same cracks) and see no doubling, so probably an artifact of photography. 1876 s micros weak eagle strike coinfacts.jpg

Malleus Maleficarum likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Malleus Maleficarum

Malleus Maleficarum Well-Known Member

A new Trade Dollar arrived in the mail today. An 1876-S which I got cheap at an eBay auction. The weight and diameter were good. It passed the magnet and slide test. Other than it being cleaned, it looked good in hand. Then I looked at it with my loupe. Questions now have arisen. It looks like it took some abuse over the years. It has something that looks like a chop mark by the eagle talon. It was hit so hard, it bubbles out a little on the observe.

The mint mark is my main concern, it looks like a worn out blob. Which can be a sign of a fake. Hopefully it was just damaged sometime and then worn. When I hold the loupe just right, I can make out an S hiding in it.

If anything, this Trade Dollar is a good study for me.

Edit: The S in the TrueView above this, looks the same.

DSCN0059.JPG

DSCN0060.JPG

GeorgeM likes this.
  4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

That looks less like a chop mark and more like just damage to me.

I'm not a Trade Dollar expert, but I don't see any of the normal tells of a counterfeit here. Dentils look great, devices are sharp, surface looks like normal wear and tear except for that dent.

5. ksparrow

I believe it's genuine, too. A hit on the rev, can't really call it a chop mark, maybe some kind of a test. the micro s is common (I/II) and often looks like a little blob.
    The II/II micro S is scarce.

6. Malleus Maleficarum

Thank you 2 for your replies. The S had me a little worried till I saw the S looked the same in the TrueView.

As for that mark/dent. Looking at with my loupe, it certainly looks like some kind of punch hit it very hard at some point. It certainly wasn't a standard chop mark punch.

For me anyway, this coin has an interesting tail to tell. I'm going to check out as much info as I can, see if something pops.

7. Malleus Maleficarum

It's supposed to be tale.

8. ksparrow

That may be the first time I've seen someone quote themselves. :woot:
    The mark on the rev. is right over the claw, but it looks a lot like a mark left by a twist drill used to see if the coin had a base metal core under silver plate.

9. Malleus Maleficarum

Here's a New Listing beauty on the Bay. Interesting specimen.

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

10. -jeffB

Looks like a carved Tums tablet.

Mainebill likes this.
  11. ksparrow

Well, if both sides are from the same coin... fakeroo!

12. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

That’s just horrible. I had a well worn 74 that was cool. Graded g-4. This is nothing like it

13. RJN-869

RJN-869 New Member

Well, at least most of the coins shown look like the counterfeit tried. I purchased some legitimate coins from a seller and they threw this in for free. I got a chuckle when I looked it up.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. -jeffB

Yep, the water's rising fast -- that poor eagle is already starting to go under!

RJN-869 likes this.
  15. ksparrow

Nice Beijing mint frost!

16. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Wrong reverse and 78 p was proof only. A fine example of the wuhan mint lol. Probably used in the wet market too to buy a couple pounds of bats

17. Malleus Maleficarum

I saw that coin for sale at the Bay a little while back, plus a bunch of Wish .com TD's. They disapeared quickly. When I saw that TD at the Bay you posted, I laughed like a braying mule.

RJN-869 likes this.
  18. Malleus Maleficarum

Hi gang. I have a Trade Dollar, an 1877-CC that I bought a little while ago. Mainebill in another thread was questioning if it's authentic. I finally took some better pictures of this coin tonight.

It passed the basic tests. Weight, diameter, and the Neodymium Magnet Test. The reeded edge looked good. I compared it to a few TD's I have. I also compared it to a fake I have. It looks nothing like the fake. Here's the new pictures I took of the coin.

What it looks like to me. I believe it was a really dark toned coin at one time that someone decided to clean. I believe it's authentic, but what do you guys/gals think? DSC00411.jpg DSC00413.jpg

19. John Johnson

John Johnson Well-Known Member

It looks genuine to me, except I keep going back to one problem. The cc on the reverse should start under then N in GRAINS. I've seen the mint mark start under the S, like yours, on some 1878CC coins, but I haven't seen an example like yours of an 1877CC. That doesn't mean it's fake, though, because the mint marks are added after striking, so maybe I just haven't seen any...

20. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

IF the coin is a counterfeit, you should be able to match the position of the "CC" with a genuine coin on the Internet so that won't help. Good fakes are copied from a genuine coin. It would be just like a dummy to use a reverse "CC" die from another date in which case this coin would have a unique mint mark position! The member above may have checked this for you.

It's a little too granular for me. Check out the leaves in the branch to see if there are two tiny round pimples. That would be a bad sign.

21. -jeffB

That kind of "dumb" mistake is still pretty common, though, isn't it? I mean, we pay more attention to the fakes that are more deceptive, but don't we still see plenty where the counterfeiters step on their own... obverse?

Insider and Malleus Maleficarum like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted