How can I Invest in gold bullion while living in the philippines?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by UncleScrooge, Jul 4, 2012.

1. UncleScrooge

UncleScrooge New Member

I am an American currently living in the philippines and would like to invest in Gold bullion bars buying low and selling high, rise and repeat.

I can not ship these valuable items to the Philippines as they will be stolen in an instant without question.

I would like to be able to order large amounts $150KUS-$200K of gold bullion bars from online sites like...
    http://www.apmex.com
    http://www.gainesvillecoins.com
    http://www.providentmetals.com

And then I would like to find a precious metal vault service to store my gold bullion safely. obviously I need a vault service I can trust ...and quite frankly I am not sure if I can trust anyone other than myself. I say this because this is how banks were started hundreds of years ago, what if these precious metal vaults start trying to give loans backed on my gold. Or the precious metal vault company is involved in fraudulent practices. I want to know 100% my gold is safe and wont disappear or walk away from me or be scammed from me.

So I would like to buy online have the vendors ship to the precious metal vault company and I would like to be able to have an online account were I can select the amount of gold in the vault I would like to sell when the gold spot prices are high and have the Precious metal company package and ship the gold to the buyer such as APMEX or provident metals with insurance and tracking when I make the request.

Any services like this, what are your thoughts?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. beachbum99

beachbum99 Member

1) I do not like the idea of a vault. it seems that there have been problems with items being lost and then being told you're SOL.
    2) it helps to shop around....for gold.
    3) I will PM you.

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

If you can't take 'physical' delivery, due to local issues, then I'd say "pass" on the whole plan. The only other suggestion would be to deposit your purchases with a trusted individual here in the USA. I'm available........:)

slackaction1 likes this.
  5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Marigold International Bullion Traders ( Hong Kong Co.) has an office

27th Floor PBCOM Tower
    6795 Ayala Ave., Bel-Air Village,
    Makati City, Philippines 1227

Just from internet search, no recommendation. If One wishes to "trade" in gold rather than " stash it away for the end", I would suggest trading in one of the funds or futures. I do believe your security options are limited in the PI. TD Waterhouse/Ameritradedoes have offices and service in the PI, so you could ask them about bullion situations there.

6. ericgo

ericgo New Member

unfortunately there are no services like that currently available in the Philippines. The best thing i can think of is to set up a PM account in hong kong or singapore.

7. krispy

krispy krispy

"I am an American currently living in the philippines..."

First tell us about how long you anticipate living there and if you ever intend to relocate back to the States or elsewhere. Where ever you eventually think you will end up is where you may find it best to store the bullion you invested in. At some point, if you want to relocate to the States you will face a lot of logistical issues with moving that much bullion, likewise, is it even that secure in the nation you currently reside provided you can actually get the physical bullion to where you are? You may feel it's safer when in your hands, but is it really? How much control do you have over it as a foreign national residing in the Philippines. Just some stuff to think about, is all I'm saying.

Consider the following and take it with a thought about the security of the nation where the bullion will physically be, too:

In your region, and for greater security, you might do well working with depository options from the Perth Mint via their bullion operations, see their web site here.

There are also Canadian options. BMG Inc. is one that comes to mind, for an example.

In the States you could work with bullion dealers such as FideliTrade (Bulk orders and Custody) service in Delaware, who place your purchases in their vault service.

A-Mark Precious Metals is another dealer I would place an inquiry with about storage of large purchases. Some of these bullion dealers have much lower overhead than APMEX and Provident and can offer you much better rates.

Similarly, you can have your bullion in a vault service such as First State Depository Company.

8. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

Hmm.. ever consider an ETF? Now might be a good time to short gold.

MerlinAurelius likes this.
  9. UncleScrooge

UncleScrooge New Member

I have been thinking about bullionvault.com

I have been thinking about bullionvault.com what are your thoughts about Bullionvault?

10. krispy

krispy krispy

What are some of your own thoughts that made you consider this company?

Do you do business in the UK? Would you see yourself residing there if your bullion was kept there or being sold through that country. I think that's where they are based.

Just make sure you know all the bullion and tax rules for any country you deal in or between. I also suggest sticking with nations with a more proven stable political make up.

11. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

If you cannot take delivery, but wish to be long in PM, I would consider an ETF and then when you are back in the US you can always sell the ETF and buy physical.

Or, you could look at PM mining stocks. I know they don't track physical really, but should benefit from positive appreciation, (which is assuming what you believe due to wanting to be long PM).

12. UncleScrooge

UncleScrooge New Member

I do not want to be invested in Gold or Silver long term. Only short term buying low selling high, raise and repeat while the market is hot.

I know some will crucify me for saying this.... Not interested in taking physical possession of gold or silver at this point in time maybe later I will change my mind or wish I had after the USA dollar collapse.

Anyone here had problems with Bullion Vault?

13. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

You might consider this.

http://www.bulliondirect.com/

I do know that they have storage and buy sell options in nucleo, so you might get exactly what you're looking for. I've never used them, but the people that I know that have, have good things to say about selling there. It's at least worth checking out....

14. krispy

krispy krispy

15. krispy

krispy krispy

I wouldn't crucify you for stating that. It makes sense for some people given their approach and needs in investing, though I would suggest you consider 'paper' options as well as mining stocks and remind you that the hot market may be behind us already, and we have seen rather soft prices as of late.

I haven't used Bullion Vault to comment on them.

16. Bill Thompson

Bill Thompson New Member

I'm a little behind the date of your first remarks but the "system" does not operate the way others have advised. We have offices in California, Malaysia, Japan, Thailand and the Philippines. If you are intending to buy and sell gold bullion you need Edited: Bill, self promotion is not allowed in the general forum. You may link your website in the signature portion of your profile. If you already own gold bullion and have any questions, please feel free to send a private email.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2014
  17. sodude

sodude Well-Known Member

Then don't do it. You're going to need to invest in an awful lot of gold in order to overcome all the fees and you're probably not going to feel comfortable because you'll find it hard to trust the other party.

18. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Since the OP last posted in 2012 shortly after he posted the question, and hasn't been seen since, he either found a solution or decided that the USD wasn't going to collapse as he thought then.

19. vpr

vpr Active Member

If you only want to do it short-term, just trade the ETF. Transaction costs would be way lower

20. SilverSurfer415

SilverSurfer415 Well-Known Member

Hope nothing bad happen to him.

21. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

Everyone is talking about the "junior miners" and saying this is a good time to buy them. They are gold mining stocks that have taken a hit in 2013, and might get a nice bounce in 2014. They have the potential for a lot of upside since they were smashed down so badly. As an example they are predicting that AG, which is a silver miner, will double even if the silver price only goes to $25. That's four times the physical. (if it happens). I like physical myself, but my retirement account only allows me to buy ETF's and stocks. Wish me luck, and don't ever follow my advice, because I am not sure it will work!

Draft saved Draft deleted