How bad does the hit on this 1938 nickel affect grade?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by TylerH, Dec 18, 2019.

1. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

Hi All
    I have this overall really beautiful 1938 Nickel - But it's got a hit on the cheek. Just wondering for education sake what that does to grade? (This isn't worth getting graded even under best of circumstances - just wondering for the sake of learning something)

IMG_4527.JPG IMG_4528.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

From a 65 to a 64.

eddiespin and Stevearino like this.
  4. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

Thank you. That’s actually not as bad as I thought it would be.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  5. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Check the marks closely when on the jaw line of Jeffersons. It could be a planchet flaw that did not fully strike out. That area is notorious on this series as being rough. It may or may not lessen the grade depending on what it is (pmd or not) and how severe.

6. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Agree with @Razz Besides the hit, it's a nice coin! I like the color/toning. icon_smile_thumbsup.gif

Stevearino and I_like_Morgans like this.
  7. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

The mark pointed at by the arrow is a planchet mark, and, as @Razz says, common since nickel is hard and these don't always get hammered out during striking.

upload_2019-12-18_10-4-34.png

The other mark looks like you could take another nickel and fit the corner of the edge exactly into the mark. This still probably happened at the mint.

Edit: My first picture did not have the arrow, although I had put it on using an editor. Didn't notice at first. @Islander80-83 's next comment must have made it into that tiny window before I corrected it.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    Razz and Islander80-83 like this.
  8. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

What arrow?

It almost looks like a struck thru.

9. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I have seen coins like this is in PCGS plastic with gem grades and I even started a very contentious thread about this topic many years ago (linked below).

Should a significant mark in a prime focal area prevent a gem grade?

The real question is, what is the grade of this coin without that mark? There is still another significant mark to the right of the large window on Monticello, some small ticks throughout, and the toning is such that it appears hazy and impairs the overall luster of the coin just a tad. Without the mark, I would grade this coin high MS65, maybe low MS66. I also think that the step detail is extremely good and that coin is very close to full steps although I think sadly, it just misses.

When you factor in such a prominent mark in the focal area of the obverse, I would agree with @TheFinn that it drops the grade of the coin from MS65 to MS64.

eddiespin and RonSanderson like this.
  10. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

The steps are REALLY close. We got a little usb microscope at work. I may bring it home over the holiday and I’ll take more pics!

11. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

There are a dozen breaks in the steps.
    But I was seriously thinking from 65 to 64 and then I read TheFinn's post.

12. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

The issue with iPhone cameras is when you zoom in it fills in pixels. The steps are cleaner than THAT but I don’t think FS either

13. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

OK will look at a better photo later.

14. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

15. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Tough break, that's one handsome coin. :(

16. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Too bad. There’s a couple other pretty good marks I’d say 63-4 but the color is nice

17. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

The steps are not great under the microscope - worse that I thought they were (Old eyes..) lol

steps.png

18. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Those steps are terrific. The minor bridging throughout does not disqualify the coin from full steps as all reverse of 38s have such bridging. What does disqualify it is that the 5th step is not complete.

Islander80-83 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted