Here's the problem with 1/10 oz gold

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Jason.A, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Gold is gold except when you go to sell. All the bars generally get treated as generic and bids are usually back of spot.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I have found similar results

4. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

There is also the danger that down the road you would have to have them assayed to prove purity. If I were a scammer like Bernie Madoff this is what I would sell. I think they are in the class of time share condos. You want to be on the selling end but never the buying end. Stick with government issued gold and silver.

5. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Many manufacturers use sealed assay cards now for that specific reason. Haven't seen many, if any fractionals though. I got this for spot to help a friend out.
    s-l400 (40).jpg s-l400 (41).jpg

6. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Sealed assay cards from reputable manufacturers is the only way I will buy gold bars. Not that I have many as I prefer European pre-1930 coins.

FBLfinder and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  7. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

I prefer even modern gold bullion coins to bars, but just this one time I chose the bar. Now silver, I usually will get whatever is closest to spot,"USUALLY".

8. mpcusa

Buying at spot is always my goal..LOL

9. Billyloves silver

Billyloves silver New Member

I like the small silver bullion fractional rounds 1/10th. I'm told the manufacturer charges the same strike fee as with larger pieces. Hence the higher premiums. I buy a roll each month and occassionaly 1/4 oz rounds.

10. mpcusa

That's a good strategy, I have a investment stash of both 1/10 once and 1 OZ gold
    but the 1/10 is much bigger....LOL

11. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Unless silver goes up drastically to cover the often insane premiums for fractional silver rounds you're likely going to face a bloodbath when you sell. I would never buy fractional silver rounds as they are treated as generic bullion and dealers are going to offer you back of spot almost every time.

Jason.A likes this.
  12. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

If you like the look of the coin, and you're not paying all that much above its bullion value, I say to buy as many as you want. Treat it like a collection rather than an investment, and you'll be happy with it whatever happens.

13. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

Returning to this thread, I will add that it appears buying 1/10 of an ounce of gold can often be a better buy than buying a similar dollar amount of silver bullion.

What I mean is:
    Gold is $1230 today
    Silver is $16

While the smartest, lowest premium buy is always an ounce of gold, if you have only around $125-$150 at your disposal, fractional gold may be the smarter buy if your aim is to pay the tiniest premium.

Silver Maples (random year) are available for $18.64 each at provident
    A random year gold maple 1/10 oz is available for $134.76

You could buy 7 silver Maples for about $130.50 for 16.5% over spot (buy back is $16.70 each or $116.9)
    You could buy 1/10 gold Maple for $134.76 for 9.5% over spot (buy back is $129)

Johnnie Black likes this.
  14. mpcusa

That,s the key, finding the happy medium between what you like and what your
    Willing to pay :)

Draft saved Draft deleted