Here is my Dansco 7070 in progress

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by LuxUnit, Nov 20, 2017.

1. LuxUnit

LuxUnit Well-Known Member

I have a little over half of my album pictured. And one of my more rare coins isn't pictured yet (CBH). My total Value is about 200 for everything including my CBH.

I'm trying to get the whole album under 400'ish then i'll upgrade as I go.

All pictures are done by me as well. Tell me what you think!

https://www.cointalk.com/media/albums/dansco-7070-luxunit.840/

Please leave comments if you have anything, Im trying to improve my photos on a few of these and I'll redo those when I get a chance. Especially the MS or Proofs because they reflect a lot and are hard to capture right.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I think you would be happier with higher graded coins ?

coinsareus10 likes this.
  4. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Wouldn't we all?

FBLfinder, spirityoda and LuxUnit like this.
  5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

if he is happy with those grades great, but in the long run he might be kicking himself down the road later for wanting higher grades. just saying my 2 cents.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    coinsareus10 likes this.
  6. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Haha nice! Looks like you have all of the tough stuff done.

Thanks,
    Jacob

LuxUnit likes this.
  7. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

You'll be doing really well to fill the 7070 for $400 but hey, if it can be done for $0 anything is possible, right CB? ;)

I really like that '09-vdb!:)

C-B-D, Youngcoin and LuxUnit like this.
  8. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

I like what you are doing because it feels good starting out to physically hold the coins. But down the road you are going to have some regrets not choosing a higher grade. I say don't get hung up about trying to complete it in less than 400.00 and start by identifying the worst lookers that are actually damaged and seeing what a better example might cost you. If you go to shows you might spot something you can trade for. This thread is much higher grades to begin with but illustrates the regrets that come from acting on a first plan. https://www.cointalk.com/threads/cracker’s-remorse-–-second-thoughts-on-the-dansco-7070-u-s-type-set.70588/

wxcoin likes this.
  9. LuxUnit

Oh I would definitely like higher graded versions of the coins, but I feel I'm one of the few numastiticians that like those damaged coins. Two of my favorite coins are those holed seated halves ha

With the coins I've purchased so far ~75% of the expense have been the CBH and the toned morgan. Most of the other coins I got for less than 10ish. They're coins that I'll probably keep and I'm thinking of doing a whole damaged coin 7070, I'll call it 'A Day in the Life of a Coin'.

Spirityoda is absolutely right though, with some of these coins I'm trying to go one and done rather than upgrade cause it's only a little more for a way nicer coin. The VDB is a good example.

@Hommer @spirtyoda

samclemens3991 likes this.
  10. LuxUnit

One of my favortie coins. In hand it looks just awesome!

Dave Waterstraat likes this.
  11. LuxUnit

That's largely my mindset. If I can get a nice CBH for 150 or 25 other new coins for 100 then I'll take the new coins. However, once I have my first of a coin I become 10x more picky with where I place my money. I like the heads up though because I did plan on buying more holed versions of coins for way more than I should and because people sharing experience like this It's saved me a lot of regrettable purchases ha.

12. Kasia

When you finally get ready to get that CBH for 150 then it might be a bit more.... and maybe still out of your reach.

Just be prepared for real regrets later at going for quantity over quality.
    If silver jumps crazily so you can off them at a decent price, do it.... then wait for it to go down and pick up something nice.

13. LuxUnit

@Kasia, sorry I must not have been clear. I agree with quality over quantity. However, because I don't have many of these coins I dont mind buying a crummy first.

I'm also completely on student loans so my budget is usually 0-25.

14. Kasia

Well, I kind of figured you might be a bit on the young side, but perhaps if you find an exit strategy when you are ready to upgrade that will work out. As far as student loans go, paying those is first because they run up quickly on deferrals or times that some get behind on. And can even impact your work opportunities...
    so carry on with the lower grade ones if that makes you happy with what you are doing. This is a hobby and if people only felt that they only had to get higher grades, it would be a tough hobby indeed.

15. LuxUnit

@Kasia so true, plus I'll have something to work towards in the future with higher grades!

spirityoda and Kasia like this.
  16. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

you will know when you are ready to upgrade. 1 thing I did not mention is that you have a thought out plan/goal which is a good thing in collecting coins. a high grade type sets gets very expensive. I have seen high grade type sets at coins shows in Vegas. wow is all I can say. yes they did it and yes it was expensive. I also saw 1 lady's 7070 type set at my local coin shop where she had spent like $2,000 a page and more on others. It was very impressive. In the end you are the one that needs to be happy with what you get. That is all that matters. The main goal is to have fun doing it. Thank God coins is a lifetime hobby for us all. There's nothing like completing a coin goal. The best feeling ever.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    LuxUnit likes this.
  17. SilverMike

SilverMike Well-Known Member

It is awesome to see a young adult interested in a 7070. I think it is a great set to work towards as you learn a little bit about so many types of coins. Maybe it leads to a specialization later too.

spirityoda and LuxUnit like this.
  18. LuxUnit

Absolutely! I can't tell you how many of these coins I didn't even know existed ha I found a big interest in the Capped Bust types especially halves. And also I started a (ugly) toned morgan collection after I found out what toning was.

I have a friend who helped me identify my CBH overton:
    -1828 O-119 R3.
    I also collaborated to find my Morgan VAM's:
    -1878 S VAM 9, R4 (possible MS PL, its very reflective but not perfectly) W/ reverse full peach tone
    -1889 VAM 47, R5 (AU+, Deep Sea green end roll toning)

Before starting this project the oldest coin I knew of was a Indian head penny and I had no idea about any of these words above haha

SilverMike likes this.
  19. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

If you are interested in capped bust coinage, you may enjoy this link:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/publisherdetail/518721

20. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I actually think he's doing it the smart way with the 7070 having the raw album. Some people like to crack out better coins to put in them but it almost always ends with more value loss than had they not been cracked out.

I really like the idea of lower grade and/or detail coins for albums. It's funny people will freak out if someone holds a coin by the rim with no gloves but no one ever really thinks twice about the idea of jamming coins into an album

LuxUnit likes this.
  21. LuxUnit

@baseball I'm not saying that anyone that said I'll regret it is wrong I'm sure they're very experienced so I'm taking their advice into consideration. However, I completely agree with you on this. I wouldn't ever crack open a slab to put it in a album ha and I'll only ever put average to good coins in it. The better ones I'll want to be individual

Draft saved Draft deleted