Featured Here is a counterfeit 2018 Silver Eagle in mint packaging!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by *coins, May 17, 2018.

1. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Why does everyone blame china. Is this a known fact. Or just bitterness

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

There are well-known Chinese sites that have advertised and sold these very fakes for years now. (I won't risk sending business their way by providing a link.)

LA_Geezer, Stork and Cheech9712 like this.
  4. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

Known fact. Some are being sold from countries like Thailand, Malaysia, Korea, etc, and even then they may originally have started out in China.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  5. Cheech9712

Us of a. Looks funny.

6. Cheech9712

Wow that ones obvious. Eagle looks big enough to be a turkey

7. Cheech9712

Yeah but for 2 dollars. Thats a born yesterday thingy

8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Again, they're being sold as fakes at that price. People then turn around and sell them as real coins at a higher price, still low enough to seem like a "bargain" but high enough to seem plausible.

I've bought real ASEs and other silver below melt. Seeing something advertised at a low price is not a guaranteed red flag.

9. Cheech9712

Hey books. I didn't get my 9:48am cointalk email. If possible. Could you help by sending link @BooksB4Coins

10. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I don't have a link, but assume you're talking about the earlier-mentioned "U" issue? If so, simply compare the OP photos to an authentic mint product of the same claimed date. I forget the year (was around ten years ago or so iirc) the design of the U was changed to include a leg which is not present on the OP example.

11. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

Here is a real one for comparison:
    [​IMG]

12. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

I'm talking about the seller passing off counterfeit USA currency, which is against Federal law. I'm sure the seller will continue to sell more of the same till he is forced to stop.

The Chinese counterfeiters will need to be dealt with by MUCH stronger tariff and import laws. Let's hope that happens ASAP.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    LA_Geezer and atcarroll like this.
  13. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

The eBay site for the "coin" says it's made in China and shipped from there.

serafino likes this.
  14. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I appreciate this and thank you for the effort. However, the U (of (UNITED) is on the reverse. :)

micbraun likes this.
  15. richard sheehan

richard sheehan New Member

Thanks for posting this as a warning. You all might find this link interesting. They make everything fake and really good. I thought I had a good score with an old Chinese Silver coin until I looked really close to the lettering. Interesting read.https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/chinese-coin-counterfeiting-ring-4071202

*coins likes this.
  16. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

The manufacturers of these coins may say they are copies — but they damn well know who their market is: lowlifes who are going to peddle them as real. So let’s have no sympathy for who is going turning them out, no matter what country it is.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  17. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It's not diminishing the curreny of the US in any way shape or form. The Secret Service agents are busy with threats that actually are a threat to commerce and have their hands full with fake bills which they should be.

There's only so many hours in the day and so many Agents they have to prioritize. Someone selling a couple bucks worth of fakes isn't worth their time. If it was a huge ring or large amounts or they were actually making them that would be different

I'm personally glad they're gone tbh. They removed several of my PCGS/CAC coins back when they existed that I submitted myself and were 100 percent authentic saying they were fakes. I don't view it as a loss if they were that clueless or could just be used to report your competition and have their listings removed.

18. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Ive ran into fakes that are non-magnetic, cheap ones too. It beats me why they would make such a good looking fake with box and all, only to make it magnetic, which is a dead give away. Im sure they are even more deceptive ones out there, which is just sickening. Collectors have to have an eye for cleaned coins, but it's also required to have an eye for fake toned coins and other pitfalls. What a shame

19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

IS Ebay advertising them? Or is someone listing them as "alloy commemorative coins"? Not the same thing.

And Ebay rules forbids listing counterfeits, I believe now it even forbids marked copies. But unless you say in your listing that it is a fake or a counterfeit their bot won't flag it for removal. Reports filed by users typically have to wait their turn in the reporting line and often the auction ends before action can be taken. And even when reported they don't have people qualified to judge if a piece is fake or not. It isn't as hard to get something removed as it used to be. But it is also nowhere near as easy as when they had a special page for reporting counterfeit coins that went directly to a group of volunteer experts to review and recommend removal. Unfortunately they disbanded that group. There are a few people that have a"direct line" in that can get things removed ASAP

*coins likes this.
  20. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

If you read all of the posts, you'll see that someone switched out a fake for a real coin and put it in the Mint box. The "coins" are coming directly from China.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/323206007819

serafino and *coins like this.
  21. BoonTheGoon

BoonTheGoon Grade A mad lad

Why are there people who try and ruin everything we hold dear, it happens with coin as with everything else. Even with video games, cards or military memorablila, someone just needs to make a fake or just be cringy or unfun! Oh well though thats life innit, just got to live and make the best!

Draft saved Draft deleted