Featured Here is a counterfeit 2018 Silver Eagle in mint packaging!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by *coins, May 17, 2018.

1. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

If eBay issues a refund, that gives you a defect on your seller dashboard though. Too many of those, and you could lose your selling privileges. You can almost always always get eBay to step in a refund for you, but it's usually best not to unless it is absolutely necessary. I've never heard of them telling someone to file a police report - hopefully they are working to stop scam buyers.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Yes, because if it is found out to be untrue, they'd be on the hook for filing a false police report. If they do anything about it is another thing once sent to the prosecutors office.

4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

This is scary. Our government should ban any imports of "copies" including this fake bullion. I'm glad you got a refund. The seller should go through their inventory with a magnet and fine tooth comb. Now I have to go through my eBay coins and check each one. Can't trust anyone anymore.

5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I think I didn't make myself clear enough.

In this case, the seller scammed me (the buyer), sending me an empty package. eBay had better have given them a defect over this. (In fact, I believe they got booted; they scammed several people over a short interval.)

My case got referred to their "high value claims" department -- I'd never heard of it; it may be newly created. I'd made higher-value claims in the past that didn't require this level of hoop-jumping. I guess they decided that claims above a certain threshold required special treatment.

Two Dogs likes this.
  6. -jeffB

I'm afraid you should have been doing that all along. :(

7. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Myself, I think any website that is identified as selling fakes (and not doing anything about it), should be publicly blocked.

I know Alibaba had a ton of nice copies of US Commemorative coins on their site. Really sharp copies of Stone Mountain and many others. Those made me change my "ebay" usage drastically.

8. Mountain Man

Well, when they come in known TPG slabs, you have a certain trust that they are real. Since retiring from the force, I've tended to relax my suspicious nature.

9. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Try and contact them over it and they'll just refer you to the mint for coinage and the mint will just refer you back to the S.S. Honestly even a congressmen who tried to address it with them had a hard time a few month backs according to an article I read somewhere.

10. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

I recently saw an article that showed Chinese-made PCGS slabs getting bought and sold. You should read it: https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/fake-pcgs-slab-diagnostics-4071199.

Terrifrompa likes this.
  11. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

Ah, sorry, I did not understand that you were the buyer in this case. Thanks for clarifying.

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It is illegal, not for the seller shipping it in, it is illegal for the buyer to import them into the country. The problem is there are so many packages coming into the country every day that there is no good way to catch them. And the person that does happen to open a package of them coming in has to be knowledgeable enough to recognize them for what they are.

13. Mountain Man

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Nice, but it shows how to identify a first generation Chinese counterfeit PCGS slab. The Chinese have made improvements since than and both PCGS and the Chinese have been through several generations since then.

15. Mountain Man

If that were the case, why would eBay be advertising them? Even if it does state that they are "alloy commemorative coin(s)"?

16. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

You may, but blind trust is always a dangerous thing and is EXACTLY what they're preying upon.

17. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

There are so many Chinese sellers who flood the site with them that they just can't stop them. They don't search their site looking for fake coins. An EBAY USER has to report an item in order for them to look at it and maybe remove it. And who knows if the person looking over the report would even know anything about coins or how to spot a fake.

18. -jeffB

They did have a knowledgeable person accepting and reviewing such reports for a number of years. Her name was Judith, as I recall. She worked with a volunteer group of users who kept an eye on listings. I got many prompt responses from her (even though I wasn't part of that volunteer group), and she actually got one LARGE seller a fairly lengthy timeout for violating coin-listing policies.

eBay shut down the group several years ago, and reassigned Judith. At around the same time, they changed their policy to ban replica coins completely (even those stamped COPY in compliance with the HPA) -- and largely stopped enforcing that policy. Rather, they still enforce it sometimes, but the process is completely opaque, not very speedy, and extremely unreliable.

19. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Oh i get it. Thanks. Wouldn't eagles butt be on the left for 270

20. Mountain Man

Good point. I'm new to eBay so don't really understand how it works.

21. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

Did not know that they had that at one time...but...I know an eBay employee who said that they do not have any real people looking for items that break the rules. It's just bots and people like us.

Draft saved Draft deleted