Featured Here is a counterfeit 2018 Silver Eagle in mint packaging!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by *coins, May 17, 2018.

1. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Do what I've done a few times - buy a dozen. Makes them lose a bit more.

-jeffB likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Brian Calvert

Brian Calvert Active Member

And, somewhere is someone reading this board. Then yelling at Mao Lin Ding. ****#%$$*%^^^&%$## and furthermore %%^(^*$#@@(@@
    Now, back into your hole and figure out a way to make it weigh the same with no magnetic metal in it. That paper that came with it looks Chinese. I buy and sell my Patented Product from there. They do a good job, but we have to QC the inventory every 6 months because they cheat if possible, a little more DE in the product saves them 20 Renmibni. Sad, we empower them, give them EVERYTHING to grow and they cheat for a penny or two.

I certainly can see this coming from other places too. China is always our OUT when there is a problem, but a good crook wouldn't import via China, they would go to South America to save the shipping costs. Easier to get in and out... No one will be looking for those coins coming from say, El Salvador

Terrifrompa likes this.
  4. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

I went to the link and checked the seller's feedback. No negative feedback or warning for future buyers? I realize the sale was recent but before I posted here, I would have left feedback to help warn future buyers.

5. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

I'm not sure you can leave fb on canceled sales?

6. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

It could be correct that you cannot leave negative feedback on a cancelled sale. This is clearly a defect (among others) with eBay. If feedback can be left but it has to be positive or neutral, I would still warn prospective buyers in the comments: e.g., "Seller sold a fake, he/she refunded my money."

It does not impress me if a seller refunds the bid because the coin was fake- the seller has no choice; paypal will make the seller process a refund even if the fake was sold unwittingly.

Two Dogs likes this.
  7. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Have

It appears the seller has many more of these fakes for sale. This seller should be banned from selling on Ebay and the FBI should be knocking on his door.

At the very least this seller should be reported to Ebay .

8. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the Chinese guy?

9. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

I messaged the seller I got this from, and they said that they get their coins from a variety of sources. Because it was in the box with the COA, they just thought it was real. They apologized to me for the mistake. I'm not going to leave them a neg - I think that it was an honest mistake.
    (@Ana Silverbell @Casman )

Two Dogs, Blissskr and -jeffB like this.
  10. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

I've done a lot of research on this over the past few years. eBay is one of the easiest sites to scam sellers on, actually. Their Money Back Guarantee covers refunds buyers for practically any reason. It doesn't matter if you put tracking on your package as a seller - they can still say they received an empty package or send you back a rock. I volunteer at the eBay Community and have seen countless sellers scammed by their buyers for free items.
    It's very sad that they allow this to happen.

Two Dogs likes this.
  11. Clay Bowen

Clay Bowen HaveYouSeenTheWizard?

If it's a US seller, I'm sure the Secret Service would love to talk to them. Even though it's bullion, it's actual US currency ($1) so it's a federal crime to sell a fake.

KSorbo and Mountain Man like this.
  12. Jeepfreak81

Jeepfreak81 Well-Known Member

Sounds like it may have been an honest mistake from your seller, wonder where they got it from though. Maybe they can go after the people they purchased it from.

13. RICHARD K

RICHARD K MISTY & SASHA

Thanks for the info. that's why I'm on the US MINT enrollment service. I have bought some older proof coins on EBAY will have to check.

14. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

I'll contact them and see if they plan to do anything.

15. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Actually, it looks to me as though most collectors of ASE would suspect it in hand.

16. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I think we've discussed this at some length in other threads, and concluded that the SS isn't interested in pursuing numismatic counterfeits.

Burton Strauss III likes this.
  17. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Not only the inconsistent design details, but the relief is wrong, as is the poor penetration of the reverse die into the planchet, mirrored fields between the eagle's wing feathers . . . and so on.

18. Jeepfreak81

Jeepfreak81 Well-Known Member

I hope someday to be able to recognize things like that. Without comparing it in hand to a known real one, I'd be lost

19. Clay Bowen

Clay Bowen HaveYouSeenTheWizard?

Yeah, it would be terrible for them to actually do their job - it may not be a $100 bill, but it's still diminishing the currency of the U.S. That's why it's becoming such an issue - law enforcement doesn't bother to enforce the law.

20. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

For what it's worth, someone tried to run an empty-package scam on me for a couple of Indian Eagles a year or so ago. eBay required me to file a police report and send the information to them before they'd issue a refund. The local police were baffled, but obliging. Seemed to me that it was a mail-fraud issue, not a local-LE issue, and if it were local, it would be in the seller's jurisdiction. I did get my refund.

I took this as a hopeful sign that maybe they're trying to make things a bit harder on buyer-side scammers.

lordmarcovan and ToughCOINS like this.
  21. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

Same here.

Draft saved Draft deleted