Featured Here is a counterfeit 2018 Silver Eagle in mint packaging!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by *coins, May 17, 2018.

1. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

Yeah, I only bought it because it was a great deal. Now I know why.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

Nope, USA seller.

4. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

Not the person I bought it from, but this is probably the original source: 323206007819.

5. bsshog40

bsshog40 Senior Member

They did a good job and that's pretty scary. Here is one of mine I cropped and put beside your fake one. The design looks pretty good but there are a few defects in the Lettering Fonts.

2007 Silver eagle Proof obv compare.jpg 2007 Silver eagle Proof rev compare.jpg

6. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

The mint changed the silver eagle die starting in 2008 so it'd probably be best to compare that fake 2018 to an actual 2018 as there may have been even more minor die tweaks since then.

*coins likes this.
  7. bsshog40

bsshog40 Senior Member

Ya, I forgot about that. Not sure if I even have one pictured. Lol

8. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

The design isn't even close - whether you compare it to a 1986 or 2018. Did they post a picture of a real one in the auction?

Insider and Paul M. like this.
  9. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

That item number shows a 2018 "proof" for $1.99 from China. If you think you are going to steal a proof silver eagle for $2, you need to buy a vowel.

Stevearino, Insider and Paul M. like this.
  10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Time for a little "reading for comprehension", I think:

In other words, someone knowingly bought it as fake at a fake's price, then tried to pass it as genuine. I wish they were out more than $1.99 plus shipping as a result, but here we are.

Blissskr, Stevearino, *coins and 3 others like this.
  11. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Does the seller have any more of these beauties ? and how much does he charge for them.

12. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

One of the many crooked sellers selling fake coins on Ebay. He needs to get banned ASAP.

Two Dogs and JeffC like this.
  13. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

out the seller honestly

atcarroll and Casman like this.
  14. Brian Calvert

Brian Calvert Active Member

You got that right. This is where the Govt should step in and arrest all involved, after they track it back. Then slap heavy penalties on all of them, including 20 years hard labor. How is the MINT suppose to sell a product if they can be copied so well on LOOK alone.

Then the MINT goes and prices their own Silver eagles at twice ++ Spot price.
    I am down to just a couple of place I trust, WCD not being one of them... Although what I got was real, the UPSALE on a signed Buffalo tells me that when and if possible, someone will take a chance at a big profit at my expense.

Mountain Man likes this.
  15. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

Here is the listing I bought is anyone wants to see it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/123127428400. I made an offer and got it for a pretty good deal. @TheFinn - this is the one I bought.
    Whether the seller knows or not may never be found out.

Terrifrompa likes this.
  16. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Being reasonably seasoned at the art of coin collecting, I have found it relatively easy to spot a fake or counterfeit coin. The OP's unfortunate purchase would have fooled me. And that just shakes me to my core.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  17. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

I cannot imagine why such information would be disallowed.

I have hundreds of ASEs, and all but a few have been bought from eBay sellers who have collected tens of thousands of feedbacks. I admit that my first precaution has always been to click on the "USA Only" button. Being a traditionalist, I try not to buy anything from China.

Edit: That wouldn't have helped in this instance, though.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  18. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Looking at the sellers feedback I don't see any red flags (I don't mean China's flag). I wonder if the seller knowingly knew it was fake.

Two Dogs likes this.
  19. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

The first thing I noticed about fakes was the · "dot" between the words on the reverse. They are elongated on various fakes I've seen.

I'm learning more and more after I noticed the thicker everything on the fakes. - sun rays, letters, etc.

20. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

They are a volume seller of miscellaneous coinage. Likely duped when they bought it.
    Their images are junk and only 1 at that. Hard to say you were fooled when you cant really see it.

21. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

Reading something like this, or the many articles in numismatic publications, is so disheartening. When i entered the hobby in the late 1950's, it seems to me, that fakes were less common and more easily recognized. Perhaps not, but it seemed that when one bought a coin, usually at a shop or at a show, that the likelihood of a phony was pretty remote. It's not just the money lost, it's the sadness that our hobby has been cheapened, devalued, by the shills and con artists who take advantage of those who want to preserve an aspect of the past for future enthusiasts to enjoy. I guess in some humans the larcenous genes exceed the contemplative and conserving ones.

micbraun and Randy Abercrombie like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted