Henning Nickle

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Singletonsam, Feb 17, 2022.

?

Is this a Counterfeit ?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Singletonsam

Singletonsam New Member

20220217_110140.jpg 20220217_151136.jpg .........could this be one?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

5. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

I agree with our fellow enthusiasts. A 1939 with some environmental toning. What is interesting though is what is going on in STATES. Almost looks like 'dots' in between the letters.

6. JPD3

JPD3 Well-Known Member

When you said "dots" the first thing that came to my mind was something left from a Rockwell Hardness Test. I've only seen pics of that on cents, but I guess the mint(s) could apply the test to any coin if they wanted to. Probably wrong, but I noticed the anomaly also.
    https://www.error-ref.com/rockwell-test-mark-left-in-die/

Singletonsam likes this.
  7. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

I know what you are talking about but penetrator marks are incuse. What I see in STATES looks like bumps. Could be a sign of heavier corrosion from environmental conditions. The photos are good but just a touch out of focus for a better diagnostic.

To your comment though, I think it is reasonable to conclude that any denomination planchette could be subject to hardness testing and replacement to the population of planchettes. And from what I’ve read, the theory might be in question. In my experience, so much happens at the surface of material during coining that a penetrator mark would be eliminated. Especially on a cent planchet.

So much to learn and consider about our hobby.

Singletonsam and JPD3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted