Help with silver pricing...

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Mike Davis, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Mike Davis

Mike Davis Well-Known Member

What is a coin that has .77* troy ounces worth as bullion in today's market?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. scotts1

scotts1 Well-Known Member

4. Mike Davis

So, a pcgs commerative dollar ms69 should be a reasonable buy at $20 then? If I don't worry about the $3 sh. Oh and thanks btw.

scotts1 likes this.
  5. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

I would buy a bunch of them at that price if not for the $3 shipping.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  6. scotts1

scotts1 Well-Known Member

That sounds like a fair price, just keep in mind that silver is up right now so the melt value may change. I'd also recommend checking out completed listings on Ebay to get a feel for how much the particular coin you're looking at typically sells for.

Mike Davis likes this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Just take the weight of the silver content in the coin and multiply it by the current spot price. You'll be very close to it's melt value and you can decide from there.

Randy Abercrombie and Mike Davis like this.
  8. Robidoux Pass

Robidoux Pass Well-Known Member

There are sources available listing the intrinsic silver value for the silver coins of about any country in the world. How would one undertake the sale of a large group of World (non-US) silver coins (with the sale to take place here in the US)? Say I wanted to dispose of an accumulation of world coins of various countries, denominations, and fineness with a computed intrinsic silver weight of 100 ounces. To whom could I sell them, and approximately what percentage of the melt value would be reasonable to expect?

9. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I just want to add something here. Us silverbugs are all excited at the recent rise in prices. I was one of those guys that was excited when silver rose in 2010-2011 and loaded up on $25.00-$30.00 silver...... Well as tends to be the case, silver tumbled shortly thereafter and I have been in the silver losing column for a decade now...... Just keep in mind that it’s entirely possible and actually quite probable that silver will once again tumble leaving folks that are buying at today’s levels with a bad taste for the stuff. Proceed with caution and don’t spend more than you can comfortably afford to lose.

medoraman, -jeffB and Mike Davis like this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Sorry to hear that Randy. Hopefully you were smart and purchased a lot at the lower prices to lower your overall cost per ounce. If you bought 1 oz at $30.00 and 1 oz at $14 you paid $44.00 for 2 ounces and that's $22.00 per ounce.

11. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Oh yeah. Three quarters of my gold holdings were purchased in the 1990’s. And yes, I have purchased a whole lot more $15.00 silver than $25.00 silver so I am very much to the good. But yes, I did learn my lesson about getting excited when prices are high!!

Collecting Nut likes this.
  12. Collecting Nut

That's good to hear. Best to average it down whenever possible.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  13. rte

rte Well-Known Member

I just picked up 4 at the monthly coin meeting auction tonight at $14.50ea.

14. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

A few years after the 2006 Benjamin Franklin Coin and Chronicles Set came out, I bought a twenty (20) set lot on eBay at $26/set. Whatever the reason, folks don't seem to care for this design. Fine by me...it's one of my favorites!

About a year later (2012?), my LCS had about a dozen of these sets sitting in a pile. I offered the owner $26/each for them, but he turned me down. Anyway, I hope that gives you a little additional insight. Silver prices in the 2010-2012 time frame were higher than today...so there's that, too.

[​IMG]

15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

That's for sure. But it's also true of gold, platinum, palladium, rhodium...

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  16. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Good for anyone looking to get into PM today to remember. Those who got into PM in 2011 were in for a hurtin' unless they continued to buy as it dropped.

Said it fifty times, but the time to get into PM is when its boring. When no one wants it, premiums are down, and BRING CASH. Cash is king in this field, you will not get the best prices with checks or CC. If online, check or wire preferred, but best prices I have ever received is in person, benjamins in hand. In 2018 I bought maybe 15 ounces of gold at those markets, (SDB and safe too full for any more silver really), and all were coins at melt. Included were MS63 Saints, AU/BU indians, MS62 no motto $10, etc.

Everyone excited about pm today remember it when no one is looking, no one is excited. If you buy then its safer. Start today, that is fine, but CONTINUE.

17. Mike Davis

IMG_20200814_113103133.jpg IMG_20200814_113130663.jpg Just to update my inquiry and thank you all for your comments. I did go-ahead with the purchase of the 1993 jefferson commerative dollar. At $23 including S/H, I am satisfied. PCGS PR69. (Still have a way to go on this photo stuff)

18. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

Nice coin. Nice buy. It melts for over $20 today. I would happily pay that if I could find one.

19. Brian Calvert

Brian Calvert Active Member

I did not start buying until 2015. So luck on my side. I only bought because of what I see from a finance point of view in world economys, and especially ours. I do not think you will see a run to 70 and a collapse back down to 20. If you study enough you find that the FED, CB's are trapped. Low interest rates are here too stay. They have too much DEBT to raise them. Thus, they are stuck printing dollar and other currencies until the end game. A digital currency or Jubilee. The only 2 ways out of this mess.
    Obviously they wont admit it and spend billions to keep the ponzi going. Lot of PR and stating :anyone telling the truth is the tin hat wearer. The FED and Govt have thousands of highly educated Financial guru's on the payroll. Do you think they need that many ? Of course not, it is better to give them 250k/year to shut them up. Once you speak out like a (CNBC) Peter Schiff, or even FOX NEWS Dave Stockman and tell the truth you get blackballed. Add in the Trillions made by the Central Banks, the private banks, the 401k Cabal making money off of you everyday selling you Poison and Gold and Silver are consider a killer for this businesses. Truth is, Americans having been gullible going back a long way.

Gold and Silver will go up for quite some time and they will be doing everything in their ability to stop it. Sad, as if millions of poor people isnt bad enough, these greedy men need even more. Stay the course....

Jeffjay likes this.
  20. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

If everyone is printing money, then relatively the dollar is OK.

Top Fed salaries usually peak out at about $175,000.

Schiff's track record has been lousy and Stockman's firm went bankrupt. They should be giving us financial advice ? For what -- how to lose money ? :D

No trillions being made, the Fed is the most lucrative and they make about $35 billion a year in a good year.

Gold and silver MAY go up -- they probably will -- but it has nothing to do with greedy men, Central Banks, or poor people.

baseball21 and pomyluy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted