help needed!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by sunday13, Feb 23, 2019.

1. sunday13

sunday13 Active Member

Dear collectors, I am a new coin collector who has....nothing to do with ancient coins. I collect modern coins and more particularly pennies. Meanwhile I came across those tiny little things ( which btw I accidentally throw away..) and I have absolutely NO CLUE what they are. I have no idea where to start or what to ask. I would appreciate your help to find out what I'm dealing with. It is not just one coin. it's a couple of them. But I will be posting one at a time. Please help me out here. I've been told that there are pretty knowledgeable people around here. Thank you in advance for your patience!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Looks a bit like Russian wire money. If you like pennies, you should try the American cent coins...:) (just funnin' you)

Alegandron likes this.
  4. sunday13

sunday13 Active Member

omg! are you stalking me?? hahahaha! Seriously..help me out here ! and there are more coming...

5. Kentucky

What would give you that idea...like your hair :) Actually I got one piece of the wire money just to have it, kind of cool.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

7. sunday13

sunday13 Active Member

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I just googled what @Kentucky mentioned, and that CT thread popped up.

Chris

9. sunday13

sunday13 Active Member

We are famous already!! hahahaha

Kentucky likes this.
  10. Kentucky

That's what I was thinking of, but those don't look like Russian characters...maybe @Siberian Man can shed some light.

11. sunday13

sunday13 Active Member

well I didn't want to hurt your feelings but they are definitely not Russian, at least not modern Russian. But thank you for making my mood!!! Stay tuned please!

Kentucky likes this.
  12. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Can you get us a weight in grams and a size in mm?

13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Reminds me of Russian Wire Money...

upload_2019-2-23_21-43-54.png
    RUSSIA Ivan IV The Terrible 1533-1584 AR Denga Moscow mint Horseman riding right brandishing sword - Inscription in lines G&K 59 Rare type

upload_2019-2-23_21-44-23.png
    RUSSIA Ivan IV The Terrible 1533-1584 AR Kopek Wire money Novogorod mint 1535-1538 Horseman riding right brandishing sword - Inscription G&K 75

upload_2019-2-23_21-46-9.png
    Russia Peter the Great AR Kopek 1682-1725 Wire Money Horse Rider - Great Tsar Peter 11.1mm 0.27g

Orielensis and Johndakerftw like this.
  14. sunday13

sunday13 Active Member

that will be 0,265 grams and 8mm

15. Kentucky

I'm surprised no one has mentioned anything about the letters used on the coin. What language is that script used in.

16. sunday13

sunday13 Active Member

I have no idea..and the fact on my previous post answering you that it is not Russian was a mistake and I apologize. I shouldn't be guessing. And I have at least 3 or 4 of those coins coming up. let's see!

Kentucky likes this.
  17. Kentucky

Really, I look forward to seeing them.

sunday13 likes this.
  18. frankjg

Where did you get them from? That may shed a little light on what they are.

19. sunday13

sunday13 Active Member

I didn't get them or purchase them from somewhere. Someone gave them to me when heard that i like coins to see if they were of any value etc.it's a long story that would sound like a movie. But I have no idea where they were found or purchased. I wasn't given any more info.

20. frankjg

Gotcha

Draft saved Draft deleted