Help Needed to ID this 5 oz. silver round

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by juris klavins, Oct 24, 2016.

1. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Why would anyone who is thinking of bidding on this item invite others to bid on it too? Are you related to or a friend of the seller? Something smells rotten to me.

Chris

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I'm going to say it's from Spain.
    Because Plus Ultra is the motto they use on their flag.
    But I'm not bidding on it.. not interested!
    Plus Ultra
    plus.JPG ultra.JPG

juris klavins likes this.
  5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Something isn't right about this round.
    Looks to small in diameter.

6. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The design with the two portraits is based on actual Spanish coins, primarily gold pieces, featuring the "Reyes Católicos" Ferdinand and Isabella ("Fernandus et Elisabet"). The Spanish mint re-used that design too, for a coin in 1989. But while that coin has the Madrid mint mark, I cannot see one on that medal ...

Christian

juris klavins and paddyman98 like this.
  7. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Well it's easy to return if it's fake...

8. moneditis

moneditis Reales de a 8

Any certificate? Being Spaniard is the first time i see that medallion...but this does not mean it is a fake, obviously.

9. hotwheelsearl

Well seller has plenty of positive feedback selling silver items.. So they're probably legit.

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

What happened? Did you have an accident on your hot wheels? Suppose you wanted to buy an item listed at auction. Would you encourage other people to bid on it, effectively raising the price you might have to pay? If you like giving your money away, I'll send you my address.

Chris

PS. Cash only!

11. juris klavins

Out of curiosity, I placed a nominal bid of $50 on the item - if I get it below melt, I win - if it's not genuine, I return it - if I get outbid, ok with me - I contacted the seller - he had no info but guessed Spain as country of origin - still don't know if this was a government issued coin, a private mint round or something else.
    Thanks for your interest and input - I'm not making any further bids, if you and the other cointalk folks wish to bid on this curiosity, fire away :happy:

12. juris klavins

I made a low bid and contacted the seller for more info - he had none, but guessed Spain as country of origin - I normally buy only well known foreign mint bullion coins, but this caught my eye & apparently nobody has ever seen one like it (web search returned no results) - the toned and dull surface is atypical for bullion rounds, but the piece does carry the 999 silver designation - I'm not making any further bids, but if you and the other good folks on this forum would like to take a shot at getting 5 T oz. of silver at a lowball price, go for it !

13. juris klavins

no certificate - just the presentation box, which might contain more info, but the photo doesn't show much detail of the box

14. hotwheelsearl

LOL that was a strange thing for the OP to say. Whenever I see something I like I make sure to tell no one lest they drive up the price. Maybe OP can afford to give money away - the bologna-pickle sandwich I'm eating should let you know how much I an afford :p

15. juris klavins

Update - No further info on this item, but I did get outbid (l***v (133)) - I'll leave this thing to others, sort of glad I didn't win, better to stick with silver rounds I'm familiar with, and can be readily re-sold.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    Pickin and Grinin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted