Help! Is this counterfeit?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by hello81, Apr 27, 2015.

1. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

About twice a month, Apmex has a really good sale (via eBay), and especially deals with free postage.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hello81

hello81 New Member

Sounds good. I'll look out for those. Thanks.

4. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You can't use the Scottsdale image for comparison. It's just a drawing, and it is possible that they don't have the same font available.

Chris

6. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

You mention you have a local coin/jewelry dealer. My recommendation would be to take the round in and see what they think. That would probably be your quickest and best answer. Since they can examine the round in person, they can do a much better job of determining silver content/authenticity than we can from a photo.

Also, spend a little time reading through the bullion forum. The age old question about how to tell if a coin/round is genuine has been covered many times and there are some good tips to be found.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  7. hello81

hello81 New Member

I think I'll do that. Thanks.

8. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

And for those of you who persist in stacking "rounds," think of the questions and doubts that buyers may have, when you may be desperate to sell, down the line, even for well-known brand names struck by private mints.

9. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

I really wouldn't worry about it. if it's made of silver then it's worth whatever an ounce of silver is worth plus some on top for the form it's in. It has almost no numismatic premium, so what difference does it make what it looks like? It's bullion.

10. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

Yes, it's bullion, and dealers who are experts at spotting fakes will always be willing to buy it at a discount. However, there are many of us who don't want to sell at a discount and would rather sell for a premium to a private party. When you're not a dealer and you're selling to a private party, it's much easier to sell government bullion because they are much less likely to be fake.

I have to admit that I've never sold private mint bullion to an individual, but I have sold many rolls of ASE and always at a higher premium than I pay to replace them through Provident. I don't know that I could do the same thing with private rounds.

Of course this is just small time flipping, but there could be a day that I need to liquidate my entire stash. In which case, I really don't want my only option to be taking it to a dealer and getting clobbered. I'd rather sell it all at a premium as I've been able to do with a roll here and a roll there already.

doug5353 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted