Help! - Does anyone know who Quarternotes Ltd. are?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by paddyman98, Apr 22, 2020.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Perhaps I should not have shared the letter above. I dunno. Hope the QM isn’t miffed about that. I also dunno how one goes about becoming one of the “anointed”. I think most of us just suddenly found ourselves the recipients of QN mailings one day. It’s all so very mysterious. But I reckon that’s part of the fun.

@Hookman - you’re certainly eligible to enter the current giveaway for an eight-piece lot [edit- sorry- I meant a ten-piece lot]. And there will be more of those lots given away in the future, after this giveaway is closed.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

I don't think people are "unwanted", they just haven't been selected, YET. And the QuarterMaster seems quite busy, so. I'll cut him some slack, lol. J/k @quartermaster!
    How could "he" mention CT and not expect a free plug? I'm sure you're fine @lordmarcovan. I say, thank you for posting. I think it's all incredibly fun, even though I'm not wanted :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:. Again! Just kidding @quartermaster! I'm a regular pain in the butt!
    Thanks again. Have a great day, everyone.

*edit- in rereading this post, it seems passive-aggressive, it's not. I'm REALLY just goofing around! :shame::smuggrin::)

4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Since I'm not part of Annie's Secret Circle or whatever the ordained group is called, I would like to donate the prize for posting the first correct answer (post #164) to @lordmarcovan He does so much for others, he deserves something nice.

( not sure how the "contest" works, but it's worth a try);)

5. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I don't know about anyone else, I know exactly how he found me, The QM found me from this thread. I posted #130 and he tracked me down and sent me a letter that said I'd won and I had identified the character on the envelope that was posted earlier in the thread "Stinky Pete" from toy story. He mailed me a poem/rhyme that was written about Stinky Pete from Toy Story ( I guess the contest letter), a counterstamped quarter, and a $50 for the prize for identifying the character which he said nobody had done yet. I've gotten a few counterstamped quarters from him since then.

I don't really know if he actually has contests, or just kind of makes it up as he goes along and picks someone that won something on a whim. either way, it's cool, it's his show. LOL.
    I emailed him from the letter that he sent me and thanked him for his kindness, and that it was an unexpected, but a wonderful prize/surprise to find that in my mailbox that brightened my day.

Anyways, that's how I ended up on the mailing list. I'm sure we all have similar stories posting on a forum or something he's following, maybe it's all on this forum only, I don't know, and him tracking you down for mailings from that point onward.

I like it, I've got to be honest, his letters actually do brighten my day when they turn up.

6. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Haven't go one yet,I would love to get a counterstamped quarter of my state from him.

Hookman and BuffaloHunter like this.
  7. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

However you get on the list (Or don't in my case lol) I'm glad that he/she is doing it. It's good fun :)

8. lordmarcovan

Oh, believe me, the Quarter Master has already taken very good care of me. ;)

There was some high-denomination US currency (ever met Ben?) in the batch of quarters he sent me to do the giveaways with. To "cover my expenses". Ha! It covered 'em many times over.

* That's why one of the random winners down the line found an Andy in with his quarters. I paid some of that sweet, sweet Quarter Master loot forward, you see.

9. CoinJockey73

Yes, that was almost too much! Winning the counterstamped quarter contest was thrilling, then winning the random for the crisp 20, i didn't even know about, till i opened your envelope @lordmarcovan, was the true cherry on top. BUT, as you can see, it's brought me far too much luck to be a spender, yet!

10. CoinJockey73

Oh no! I jokingly posted multiple messages to an "@quartermaster", but i see they have hyperlinks, which means...
    QuarterMaster is a member here!
    Dun dun daaahhhhh!!!
    (The mystery deepens)

Hookman likes this.
  11. lordmarcovan

Prolly not the same person. I'd bet a counterstamped quarter on that. ;)

12. lordmarcovan

Oops. Point of correction: I goofed, there. The QN giveaways I'm running on behalf of the QM are for lots of ten pieces, not eight.

Hookman and Kentucky like this.
  13. JP@

JP@ Well-Known Member

welp, this just dang interesting! I'd bet a caveman bbq sandwich that it's someone well known here.... well not by me, I'm too new :hungry:

I'm also thinking this is someone who wins all the scavenger hunts :D

BuffaloHunter and Hookman like this.
  14. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Yeah…. I feel kid of bad. I gave the QuarterMaster a bad rap at first. I was a little creeped out that someone I didn’t know was sending me these envelopes of quarters and such. I have rather warmed to him and enjoy his letters now. Maybe one day we can pull back the curtain and see who the wizard is.

15. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

LM, I may have already entered. I'll double check and see.
    BTW, I hope I don't seem ungrateful, because, really I do appreciate the contests, of all kinds, from all members, and I ESPECIALLY appreciate you and your efforts to facilitate the contests and make everyone feel welcome.
    Thanks again for all you do.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  16. lordmarcovan

Not at all.

17. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

Received a PA quarter counterstamped "Bill's Trees".

A reference to "Penn's Trees", which are the trees that were alive in what would become Pennsylvania when William Penn arrived in America in 1682. There are an estimated 100 such trees left.

Edit: I see someone with faster mail delivery already got the answer. But I will still par myself on the back for figuring it out myself.:shame:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  18. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

I think you guessed right - congratulations! I received my letter on 5 Oct 21 and my first thought was Bill's trees = Penn's Woods.
    To flesh out your answer , I might add this:
    The Province of Pennsylvania, also known as the Pennsylvania Colony, was a British North American colony founded by William Penn after receiving a land grant from Charles II of England in 1681. The name Pennsylvania ("Penn's Woods") refers to William's father, Admiral Sir William Penn.

lordmarcovan and BuffaloHunter like this.
  19. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I did a little snooping into that profile for quartermaster, I don't believe it's him/her. the quartermaster, even in general conversation through email has a wit/unique conversational attitude that the posts from that account don't convey that I believe come naturally to the quartermaster. it's a different person in my opinion. I also don't believe I've seen the writing style on this site, so either the person is really careful to type differently, and a regular, or is here and doesn't type much at all to avoid getting noticed and figured out.

One more thing I found extremely interesting while screwing around on the interwebs. The definition of a quartermaster.
    "Quartermaster is a military term, the meaning of which depends on the country and service. In land armies, a quartermaster is generally a relatively senior soldier who supervises stores or barracks and distributes supplies and provisions."

It's a pretty fitting name for this person and what they do I think, in more ways than the obvious, quarters being counterstamped. Quarternotes Ltd. there's the music thing, and there's his little notes on quarters.

Honestly, it's sort of like getting a letter from Santa to me, I don't want to know who it is. I want the mystery and magic to remain. :)

Ya'll be blessed.

20. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Okay, okay...

I'll give Quartermaster up!

Are ya ready?

Well, it is [wait for it]

Doug!

Yup, De old grump is really a hidden [very hidden] nice guy!

So, stand and cheer for him.

BUT!

Be Sure NOT to give him a 'Like"

lordmarcovan likes this.
  21. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

That actually was my guess as well and I asked him point blank. His response was “No I am not Doug, or anyone else on CoinTalk”

Draft saved Draft deleted