HELP -- bullion coin prices

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Vercingetorix, May 6, 2008.

1. Vercingetorix

Vercingetorix Member

hi, all. quick question for a friend: they're looking to sell 5 one-ounce 2004 american eagle gold *bullion* pieces. any thoughts as to a fair price? any ideas as to the best place to sell?

thanks,

v.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. wrucmike

wrucmike Who's the Man?

Check out kitco.com/market for spot price. You can also look at their precious metals store (link at the top of the page), as gold eagles carry a premium above spot generally. Also, you can check out www.pcgs.com/prices to see what graded eagles sell for. Finally, www.usmint.gov can give you an idea of the current cost of a 2008 gold eagle, which happens to be north of $1100 (that's a bit high). Everyone has an opinion.

Spot is $880, Kitco is selling AGEs for $930. So maybe aim for the middle and ask for $910? :)

4. Vercingetorix

Vercingetorix Member

gotcha -- a touch over 900 sounds about right.

to be clear, though: there's a difference btw the uncirculated being sold at the mint for 1100+, and the straight bullion pieces being sold for the low 9s, right? or am i mistaken?

v.

5. wrucmike

wrucmike Who's the Man?

I think that the mint prices are based on the price of gold having been over $1000 for a period of time. After the recent pullback of gold (as you can see from kitco prices, etc.), you can get AGEs in the $900s.

The mint also puts a "W" mintmark on some of the uncirculated coins that it sells from the site. Some people will pay a premium for that mintmark, which also may explain why the price hasn't come down.

6. WmsJewelers

WmsJewelers New Member

Most shops should be paying spot or no more then 10 bucks back of spot.

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Boy I'd like to know the shops you sell at. If you had said 10% back of spot, now that I would agree with. But there is a huge difference between $10 and $88 (10%).

8. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

let me know when you find out i need a lot of money for the 1804 dollar

Draft saved Draft deleted