Hefty Pius drachm

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Pellinore, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

This Alexandria drachm of Antoninus Pius just came in, my first of this type. Antoninus Pius issued this denomination in abundancy, there are hundreds of interesting types (for instance, Zodiac types) and variations. This is a relatively dull reverse, but there are many finicky variations (eagle left, right or facing, head left or right, wreath in beak ('WIB') or not).

Unlovingly cleaned, not being in very good condition (as often), it is a bit hard to tell which one it is, but I think Emmett 1496.21: eagle facing, head left, WIB. RIC 15922 (but the layout is different). Year KA (=21). K over the right shoulder, A to the right side of the wing (it took some time to find the A). 32 mm, 27.17 gr. These coins always have a convex obverse, that is smaller than the flat reverse.

3131 A Pius ct.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I agree-- Emmett 1496.21 "eagle standing facing, head left, wings open, wreath in beak".

One thing I like about Emmett's classification system is that he doesn't get bogged down with tiny details the way some RIC authors do, creating "rarities" from details which likely have no particular meaning*. An unfortunate exception to this cataloging strategy is with the abundant eagle reverses. The A-Pi drachms the eagle reverses are broken down into seven types, each with their own catalog number o_O:

1493: eagle standing right, head left, wreath in beak
    1494: eagle standing facing, head right, wings open, wreath in beak
    1495: eagle standing facing, head right, wings open, no wreath
    1496: eagle standing facing, head left, wings open, wreath in beak
    1497: eagle standing facing, head left, wings open, no wreath
    1498: eagle standing right, head left, wings open, wreath in wreath
    1499: eagle standing right, head left, wings open, no wreath

Sometimes I find it hard to determine if an eagle is facing or standing one way or another.

Here's a very worn A-Pi eagle drachm I bought at a local jewelry shop (US Virgin Islands). I'm so happy when I find ancient coins locally that aren't set into jewelry that I tend to buy them regardless of their merit :D. This one is my pocket purse piece :).

[​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Antoninus Pius
    year 17, CE 153/4

AE drachm
    Obv: [AVTKTAIΛAΔPANTωNINOCCEBEVC]; laureate bust right
    Rev: eagle standing facing, head left (wreath in beak?); L IZ
    Ref: Emmett 1496(17), R1; Dattari 3094

One low grade A-Pi eagle drachm is enough. I ended up with four more from lot of 80 A-Pi ex museum drachms I split with Zumbly :oops:.

*Edited to add this comment/clarification: I don't mean that the RIC authors and other catalog authors are separately listing minute characteristics for the purpose of creating rarities. They are just dissecting the coins in an attempt to further our understanding, which is perfectly reasonable. It is collectors who sometimes place undue significance (and value) on these rarities.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    chrsmat71, Ajax, Johndakerftw and 5 others like this.
  4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Since you mentioned the Zodiac series, I'll show my only example, 'Sun in Leo', the most commonly available type.

Antoninus Pius - Drachm Zodiac Leo Helios 2248.jpg ANTONINUS PIUS
    AE Drachm. 24.39g, 35mm. EGYPT, Alexandria, RY 8 = AD 144/5. Emmett 1530; Dattari 2968; RPC Online 13547 (31 spec). O: Laureate head right. R: The Sun in Leo: Lion (Leo) running right, radiate and draped bust of Helios and star above; L H below.

I recall we were almost half way through the list before the first eagle was picked. Here's one of the two I ended up with, a RY 17 like yours, but with no 'WIB', and thus, R4 in Emmett. :rolleyes::D

Antoninus Pius - Drachm Lot Eagle LIZ 2030.jpg
    ANTONINUS PIUS
    AE Drachm. 21.08g, 31.2mm. EGYPT, Alexandria, RY 17 = AD 153/4. Emmett 1497.17 (R4); Dattari 3093; RPC Online 15180 (6 spec). O: Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right. R: Eagle standing facing, head left, wings spread; LI-Z in upper field.
    Ex Robert L. Grover Collection of Roman-Egyptian Coinage, previously held by the Art Institute of Chicago (1982.2012)

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Oh, you want to play that game?

Em. 1499.17, Eagle standing right, head left, wings open, no wreath, year 17, R5 :p
    APiMadness16-Emmett1499R5.jpg
    Ex Robert L. Grover Collection of Roman-Egyptian Coinage, previously held by the Art Institute of Chicago

Seriously, this brings up a point. Our eagles look the same. Is it standing facing or is it standing right? I think it's standing right. See the outline of the eagle's belly in front of the its left leg? Notice the absence of that line at the right leg? Compare it to the coin I posted upthread which has two "belly lines" and to Pellinore's coin, which seems to be clearly "facing" with regards to the body and legs. I could be wrong.

I think yours is also Emmett 1499.17.

6. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Emmett, Emmett! Just bought that book, a nice catalog for coin collectors with fine lines between common coins and R4s. I thought mine was year K=20, thus R4, but then, in the bright sunlight, I finally found the A at the far right of the wing, so year KA = 21, thus R1. :mad:

Severus Alexander, TIF and zumbly like this.
  7. zumbly

I’d happily take a rarity upgrade, but I’m not sure either. RPC Online’s entry has it as facing, and the examples of what they describe as standing right - like this one, and this one - seem to be more obviously right-facing, especially where the left wing is partially obscured by the body of the eagle. Of course, that’s RPC, and Emmett may have had a different idea.

Another here’s another thing - why does your eagle and mine have the same AIC accession number?? :sour:

Severus Alexander and TIF like this.
  8. zumbly

When it comes to eagle pose variations, I think we can all agree to not give a fig about Emmett’s rarity ratings. :happy:

Severus Alexander, Pellinore and TIF like this.
  9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Yep, that's the take-home lesson from this :D. A-Pi drachms with eagle reverse, regardless of position: quite common.

My uncertainty regarding the distinction between eagle poses bugs me though. Perhaps I'll just write to Emmett and ask him.

Maybe there is more of a continuum of poses than was previously appreciated?

zumbly likes this.
  10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Oh. Because I copied and pasted it from your post without remembering to delete the accession number :oops:. I'll fix that now.

Severus Alexander and zumbly like this.
  11. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Interesting dialog folks and some great hockey-pucks there. I recently picked up this Marcus Aurelius as Caesar drachm:

aurelius.jpg

Type: AE Drachm, 33mm, 22.95 grams

Obverse: Bare headed and draped bust of Aurelius right
    M AVPHLIOC KAICAP

Reverse: Elpis Standing left holding flower and hitching skirt
    LEND EKATOV

Reference: BMC 1238 listed as "rare" by R.A. Numismatics

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Yes, there are hundreds of Pius drachm types and many relatively dull types compared to the interesting ones which tend also to be the rarities. I feel deficient not owing an eagle but I do have others that are more or less dull.

Most common but not quite as common as the same type from Hadrian is the river god Nilus dated year 13 spelled out L TPICKAI. Where I am confused by this coin is the type regularly shows the Nilometer reading desired for a good crop which is 16 cubits. The usual legend is L TPICKAIIϚ but my coin is missing one of the I's. I wonder how to interpret this one. Dull type? Confusing?
    pa0270bb1342.jpg

Athena just standing there is a bit dull but I don't pass up drachms with any eye appeal when cheap. Is this Emmett 1474? Why is it listed with "(shield)"? Certainly he chose to list enough minor variations with separate numbers that it was not necessary to show this as shield optional???
    pa0275fd2426.jpg
    My last one would be less dull if it were in better condition. Serapis is seated in a temple. I'm calling this Emmett 1668 but would appreciate help with the year date only partially shown.
    pa0265bb2912.jpg

13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I agree with Emmett 1668. To the right of the temple I see what is probably KA[T]O which, assuming it isn't a date unknown for the reverse type, means it is a year 11 or 12. Of the two, year 11 is listed as R5 and 12 as R1, so year 12 seems most likely.

Also, looking at the obverse legends Emmett lists for various years, the last letter on your obverse, while not truly legible, looks more like a B than a C, which also fits with year 12.

14. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

A similar example is on sale at vcoins now for $240 (discounted from $300) so I guess I got a good deal.

15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

There are price differences that make no sense on all ancients but I think it might be worse on Alexandrians of the earlier period. Mine is a different Aurelius Caesar reverse @ $47 which allowed for the missing nose on the portrait more than the reverse detail. We always have to ask if we see the glass half empty or half full. There are so few overflowing with perfection.
    pa0310b02372lg.jpg

16. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I only have one A. Pius.

Egypt, Alexandria. Dattari. Antoninus Pius, 138-161 Diobol circa 151-152 (year 15), Æ 22.5mm., 7.45g.
    Obv: Laureate bust r., drapery on l. shoulder.
    Rev. Agathodaemon erect, crowned with skhent; in field, L-E.
    RPC Online 15718.
    Dattari-Savio Pl. 162, 3066 (this coin).
    Good Fine.
    From the Dattari collection.

Ex: Naville Numismatics Auction 34, Lot 281 September 17, 2017

A Pius diobol Dattari.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted