Have your collecting/investment goals changed in the last couple of years ?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by mpcusa, Dec 5, 2022.

?

so have your collection/ investment goals changed in the last couple of years ?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    52.0%
  2. no

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. still adding to what I have been collecting/investing in for years

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  1. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Eye appeal is definitely
    Raw coins would always be open to a conversation on grade, but as gold finger already mentioned graded coins would have a specific amount bid/ask amount
    just like if you go in with a bullion coin ;)

I have several buffalos and AGE type 1 and 2,s in the hoard, as well as
    15 Krugers, my goal is to get everyone a total of 53 not including
    proofs and special editions, just picked up a 50 anniversary 2017
    Kruger to add to the collection, I like matching dates to life events
    have 3 of my 4 kids spoken for still trying to find a 2001 but populations
    are super low, so just finding certain one are a challenge !

Last edited: Dec 29, 2022
    GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Whendric

Whendric New Member

Sure in a perfect world, "should, would, could" would make perfect sense but I'm just relaying my personal real world experience. I have two local LCS's in my area, not counting, pay day lenders, "we buy gold" shops and jewelers. I've dealt with both for years. I've sold many Saints and libs graded either MS63-64.

Sure the discussion always start with greysheet bid/ask but then they complain about the knee, the nose and the torch and try to undercut the offer by $30-$50 dollars. They hone in on some imperfection that would legitimately cause the coin to grade the grade it did but they would always complain. I've never had a straight up transaction.

For fun, a couple times, I took coins to shops in the next town over to see what would happen and got the same "cry me a river" song and dance. Compare that to selling eagles and buffalos, nobody seems to care, it's always spot+2-3% or spot plus a couple dollars. Selling graded numismatics has always been similar to selling a used car.

Maybe my shops are a little shady, maybe its a tough economy, maybe brick and mortar expenses are killing them, I don't know. I appreciate your hypotheticals but depending on how old your kids are, maybe send them in to a store with a saint and a lib and see what story they come back with. If they are to young, send in the wife but that might be worse, the LCS's might just see blood in the water in that case and go in for the kill.

I sent my wife in once, a year or so ago, and they low balled her $80 below the bid/ask price. Needless to say, she just smiled and walked out. True story.

Before she did though, she gave them a Marisa Tomei "Cousin Vinnie" talking to. "Well you know, for this particular year, the strike was particularly weak and the OF on the reverse is nice and crisp. Also, that die clash there next to the rim, that doesn't distract from the value it enhances it, so while you can think you can low ball me, if I took your offer, I know that you could flip this coin for a good $350 profit. No thanks."

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
    GoldFinger1969, JPD3 and -jeffB like this.
  4. mpcusa

When it comes to liberties and Saints
    most always buy A/U 53-58 though
    I do have a coupe of 63,s and 64,s
    Unless your doing a 66 and up, eye
    appeal and value meet in the A/U grade
    most of the time your just lacking some
    luster.

5. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Obviously, we all have different abilities as far as $$$. The most I have paid is for my 1923-D Saint which thankfully predates the last few years runup in gold and numismatic prices. She's an MS-66.

I'd love to stretch for an MS-67 Wells Fargo No-Motto but if not I'll settle for an MS-66 OGH like you showed in another thread.

6. mpcusa

66 is more then adequate :) , some coins are way out there price wise especially early liberties 40K and up, way above my pay grade...LOL, but still try and get some
    eye appealing examples, I am going to drop the sword on my next purchase here in a few minutes, I was able to gather a few examples for comparison which I will share when the coin comes in, so you will need to be patient, super excited about
    this one !

Would really like to get a Wells Fargo Nevada coin as that is where I live, and should
    be able to get a nice one.

7. GoldFinger1969

I would like 1 Super Gem (MS-67) and since money IS an object, the 1908 NM is my best/cheapest option.

If I win PowerBall or MegaMillions, then it's the 1908-S Norweb Saint MS-678 CAC. :D

-jeffB likes this.
  8. mpcusa

9. mpcusa

Current bid on the bay is $4,290 with 5 days left anxious to see what it goes for ?
    5 days left and 126 bidders.

10. GoldFinger1969

That's a Gen 4.0 holder used by PCGS from 1998-2002.

I wasn't following Saints back then....but if it was originally PCGS-graded, it should be in a 3.1 OGH holder. My understanding was that the 8% or so that weren't originally PCGS-graded were done by NGC.

I'm not sure if PCGS did gradings later in the 1998-2002 time frame when the Gen 4.0 holder was in use as opposed to Gen 3.1 OGH from 1993-98.

Net-Net: An MS-67 should sell for about $7,000 but I wonder how high this one goes with the coin possibly overgraded relative to other 1908 NM's (the reverse is blotchy but I can't tell if that's the holder/pic). Then I wonder if Ebay can be competitive with the FMV to cover the fees.

Should be interesting...other coins are going begging at $8,500 and $8,000, respectively.

slackaction1 likes this.
  11. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Have you looked up the cert number?
    PCGS price estimate?
    Good luck, very nice piece.

Wow there is a lot of good information on that PCGS site.
    Never scrolled down all the way before.
    Gives new perspective to coin prices and past history.
    Check out...
    Latest Major Auction Appearances of This Coin:

12. mpcusa

Yeah, there’s was another one on the bay
    for buy it now for right around 8k
    so I would say that would be around
    the limit.

13. rte

rte Well-Known Member

I don't know how I feel about the blue label?
    The older greens I like, something about green and gold :D don't know where that would come from:p

Hey at melt, what's not to like...

14. rte

rte Well-Known Member

One thing different I noticed about this label.
    The others like it have the W & F in the cert.
    W12345678F

15. mpcusa

I haven’t had a chance yet, but I am sure it’s up there, going to try for a Wells Fargo in February, just ordered my latest
    coin last night and will be sharing that
    when it comes in, have some great other
    examples of the same coin for comparison.

16. mpcusa

Different label, different numbering system, I actually thought about switching from the OGH to a new
    holder but what I have heard here
    plus asking others will probably just
    keep it as is.

17. GoldFinger1969

Too pricey unless 67+....even 67 OGH CAC should be low-7's, tops.

18. mpcusa

I think the eBay seller at 8K plus is
    trying to get over on people, that’s
    the problem with eBay buy it now makes
    the seller look greedy, is those darn
    fees ! especially on a coin with that
    kind of price tag.

19. GoldFinger1969

Caveat Emptor !! :p

20. GoldFinger1969

I see a TON of MS-67's for sale....sellers asking $8,000 almost uniformly. No bids at all. Maybe they're making offers and negotiating, I don't know.

I just wonder what the gameplan is at that price with that coin. You can get a sucker to buy a $200 coin for $350 every now and then....I don't know how you get someone to pay $8,000 for a coin that every other one but one is selling for $7K on the nose, give or take $200 or so. Only serious collectors and presumably smart buyers are buying a near-5 figure coin.

One MS-67 sold for $9,000 in recent months....
    it didn't even CAC....but it has a SIMPSON label and it 'aint for Homer Simpson. :D

mpcusa likes this.
  21. GoldFinger1969

Not sure what you mean...it says "Wells Fargo" because of the pedigree, not sure what label has a "W" and "F" in the certification number as I don't see it on this page.

Draft saved Draft deleted