Harpers Ferry rim cud

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by usmc60, Dec 7, 2016.

1. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Just came across this rim cud enjoy.:happy::blackalien: ct12-7-2.jpg ct12-7-3.jpg ct12-7-4.jpg

Attached Files:

paddyman98 and tommyc03 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

4. bryantallard

bryantallard show me the money....so i can look through it

isn't this referred to as a rim burr? or am I thinking of something else?

5. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

I don't know I personally think you're thinking of this. burr-4.jpg I've always believed a rim burr is extra planchet material from the Reding process, that is folded over on the rim. As you can see in the photo which has a distinctive edge that identifies rim burrs. But we should also keep in mind that a rim burr can conceal a rim cud underneath. etcow-6-6.jpg In this photo it shows a different perspective of a rim cud. I have to get back with you on the other photo once I find it which distinctively shows a rim burr hiding a rim cud.But I hope this one will give you the general idea of what I am talking about.I believe these little what I like to call rim bulge, is a piece of the die on the rim breaks away resulting in what we see. A rim burr is properly identified most of the time. But closer inspection could also reveal a die break underneath that rim burr, which is photo exhibits the die break on the red lines. Cuds on coins also has some examples of mine and others of these rim burr cuds. I assume we can call them that when a rim burr hides a cud.:rolleyes::blackalien:

Draft saved Draft deleted