Gun safe storage & dehumidification

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Bluemoon, Feb 19, 2018.

1. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

A stronger safe will cost you less for insurance premiums (if you insure your coins).
    This is a good overview of safe types and how effective they are:
    http://www.nashvillesafehouse.com/faq/terminology/
    Catch 22 with buying a heavy duty, hard to move safe - your location immediately becomes known to numerous strangers/delivery men :eek:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

you probably didn't respond to an email confirming your account.

4. Clawcoins

Although, check with your insurance provider first.

My Insurance company would require me to do an Appraisal, and require at least a C rated safe, up to a certain amount. Then a TL up to certain amounts for their type - tl15, 30, x4 etc.

Some safe companies don't use box trucks with advertisements on them. Or many piano moving companies also move safes ... so it may have Piano ads on it.

you may just want to store it in a SDB as previously mentioned.

5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I did that....again and again and again.

6. Clawcoins

ahh ... admin time ..... @GDJMSP

7. Randy Abercrombie

Bless you.

8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

9. Randy Abercrombie

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

@desertgem Jim, members who have not confirmed their email address do not have access to the Support and Feedback section - they cannot even see it.

So when you are trying to help someone the same situation as Randy, please use this link and ask them to make sure and read the entire thread. I have posted the same info there for just this reason.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/how-to-post-and-add-photos.309963/

And Randy I'll contact you privately by email if necessary, but the answers you need, and what you need to do to fix your problem can be found that link immediately above this.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Then count your blessings and consider yourself extremely lucky ! Because it's not a myth, none of it. Just because it doesn't or hasn't happened to 1 person or 10, or even a 100, doesn't mean it has not happened to 10,000 others !

12. Bluemoon

Bluemoon New Member

http://gunsafereviewsguy.com/articles/myths-about-gun-safe-theft-protection/

This web site has some real eye opening videos on how easily a "gun safe" is defeated. Doing a little more research after looking at these! I was a cop for 30 years and investigated a lot of burglaries. I saw ONE safe job that was a real safe job where they drilled the mechanism. This was a grocery store and the loss was about $30k. That being said, I have seen a lot of residential burglaries where the crook took a hammer to the dial and just did damage to the "gun safe" and didn't get in. For those of you with gun safes, take a look at the installation pages of this site for some useful info. I am now leaning towards a TL-30 bolted to the floor in a corner

13. Clawcoins

many of the cheap gun safes and cheap home safes can be open up quickly with a circular saw - or at least a large enough opening to grab everything inside if you didn't want to use a screwdriver and crowbar.

14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It's the same with really nice heavy gun safes. The tools and equipment are out there. You can cut a hole in just a few minutes.

Draft saved Draft deleted