GTG 1945-D Jefferson Nickel NGC

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, May 26, 2020.

?

Guess the Assigned Grade

1. MS64

2. MS65

3. MS66

4. MS67

5. Other (Please explain in comments)

6. Not Full Steps

7. 5 Full Steps (5FS)

8. + Designation

9. * Designation

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Yes, one of those two options is correct. Or perhaps, there is third, but much more obscure scenario ;)

CamaroDMD and RonSanderson like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

The coin is raw??? That’s the secret third scenario isn’t it. After all these GTG threads...you posted a raw one as a joke?

4. Lehigh96

Nope, think slab generation.

5. CamaroDMD

MS67W. New guess. I can’t change my poll vote but that is what I saw now. It was blast white when slabbed.

6. Lehigh96

Anyone else want to guess the grade or opine about the steps before I reveal in a few hours?

7. CamaroDMD

NGC never did the 5.5 steps thing did they? Wasn't that ANACS?

8. Lehigh96

NGC used the FS designation for years and you needed 6 full steps to qualify. In 2003, the finally gave in and created two separate designations, 5FS and 6FS. But what happened to all the 5FS coins graded prior to 2003?

And yes, the 5.5 steps was ANACS.

9. CamaroDMD

I would assume the 5FS step coins from prior to 2003 were not listed as FS coins. In some ways I suppose it could have been like the OGH PCGS coins which were heavily cherry picked.

Does ANACS still do the 5.5 thing? I feel like I haven't seen it in a long time.

10. ddddd

ddddd Member

According to their website, they do.

It is listed in this section on the link below:
    "What superlative designations does ANACS use when it grades a coin?"
    https://www.anacs.com/FAQ.aspx

11. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

Almost FS but not quite because of the lower two steps.

12. Lehigh96

That is correct, this coin is a 5FS cherrypick from an NGC 7 generation holder. I believe the 5FS inception occurred during the NGC 9 generation.

[​IMG]

Needless to say, this coin will be going to NGC for designation review. If it gets 5FS, it will be my second 45-D MS67 that I have gotten into a 5FS holder.

kSigSteve, bradgator2 and Dima like this.
  13. CamaroDMD

Very cool. I really learned something there! Thanks @Lehigh96!!!

14. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

:cigar:

Looking forward to hearing what they determine with this one. Was this sold with decent photos or was it a complete gamble on the strike of the steps? No way to know if it’s been sent already for designation but surely a smart gamble. If it falls short at least you still have a very nice 67.

15. Lehigh96

I got it off E-Bay for $41 and bought it because it looked to have really nice luster, some decent toning, and the price was right. Figured I could make a few bucks by flipping it just with my photos. The full steps was a complete surprise.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1945-D Jefferson Nickel CDN:

MS67: $60
    MS67 5FS: $300

I wouldn't say this coin is a lock to get 5FS, but the price gap between the non full step and five full step makes it a no brainer to attempt to get the full steps via designation review. If it fails, it still ends up in a new edgeview holder which costs $10 anyway.

kSigSteve and Dima like this.
  16. Lehigh96

This thread was fun so I created a new thread about a different 1945-D Jefferson Nickel that should take it to another level, check it out by clicking the link below.

GTG 1945-D Jefferson Nickel NGC (Appalachian)

Good Luck!

Draft saved Draft deleted