GTG 1945-D Jefferson Nickel NGC (Appalachian)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, May 27, 2020.

?

Guess the Assigned Grade

1. MS65

2. MS66

3. MS67

4. MS68

5. Other (Please Explain in Comments)

6. Not Full Steps

7. 5 Full Steps (5FS)

8. + Designation

9. * Designation

10. T Designation

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Okay guys, we just finished a GTG thread of a 1945-D Jefferson Nickel that taught a very valuable lesson. This GTG thread is going to take it to a whole new level. The coin is from the original Appalachian Hoard of Jefferson War Nickels, however, it resides in an NGC 17 holder but the only change to the label was the addition of a pedigree.

Please guess the grade of the 1945-D Jefferson Nickel shown below. I have attached a poll for you to cast your vote and you may select up to 5 different things: the numerical grade, Full Steps, + grade, * designation, and T designation.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Given the challenging nature of this thread, the first person to guess correctly will win a little prize. Please remember to vote for both the numerical grade and either for "Not full steps" or "5 Full Steps" as it has to be one or the other. The rest of the designations are optional and you may vote for none, some, or even all three if you think the coin warranted them. Good Luck!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

I say MS66. The T designation should go away on a new label. I believe only 1 T has slipped by on a new label.

4. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I'm at MS66 5FS T. The Applachian Hoard was well known for brilliant toning and I think the NGC17 slab was right around with the "W" and "T" designations were being used.

5. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

Appalachian did get the T but since it's in a new holder the T is no longer used or applicable, from what I've read.

6. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

I'm saying MS67☆T but not FS

Lehigh96 likes this.
  7. ddddd

ddddd Member

MS 66 T and Star (not 5fs)... luster is there, color makes it into a star holder, and the T was kept from the original label (I've seen them leave it even if they often do take it off on reholders).

8. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

65 But not full step see the last step

9. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

10. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

I will say MS67* T No FS.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

12. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

66+* No FS

6-4-5-6

edit - I remember this coin and the thread about it from when I first joined cointalk. Great write up as always on this one. Do you still own it?

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  13. Lehigh96

I do still own it, and I appreciate your use of the FSNC Quarterstep method.

14. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

MS 67*. Beautiful toning. Just shy of 5fs.

15. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

MS 66+ 5FS the last step would be 6 but it is not there.

16. Lehigh96

Anymore guesses? Reveal in a few hours, and we have a winner!

17. Lehigh96

This is correct, MS67*T.

The Appalachian Hoard was graded in 2000 prior to the 5FS and + designations so it can't have either of those. When originally graded, in a generation 8 holder, it received both the * & T designation. When it was reholdered by Gregg "Monsterman" Bingham, they added his pedigree to the label but did not remove the "T" designation like they were supposed to, which is why I stated in the OP that the only change to the label was the addition of the pedigree.

[​IMG]

@toned_morgan, PM me your full name an address for your prize.

18. CamaroDMD

Very cool. I didn't realize the used the * and T on the same coins. I always figured it was one or the other.

SorenCoins and Morgandude11 like this.
  19. Morgandude11

It happens occasionally. I had one Morgan that was 65+*T I had the 67* and commented on the toning, but did not say “T” specifically.

SorenCoins likes this.
  20. CamaroDMD

That makes sense. I suppose the "T" designation had nothing to do with eye appeal...is that right? The "T" was simply to note that the coin was toned. So, an ugly toned MS65 could get a T...right?

21. Morgandude11

Theoretically, it could. I have never seen an ugly toned NGC star coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted