Great Auction for newbies.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ancient Aussie, May 19, 2019.

1. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Every now and again we get the question from beginner ancient collectors, how much should I pay or where is a good place to buy? well my advice is have a look at these Savoca Blue auctions, usually over a thousand coins looking for a home most lower grade but at starting prices as low as 5 Euro with one Euro increments is a good place to start and not get burnt. I think they make their profit on sheer numbers, also good for collectors who have been around for a while and don't like paying much which is probably most of us, I picked up up these five that I consider a good price especially the top two and the bottom one, priced from top Macrinus 44 Euro to bottom Hadrian temple of Artemis 13 Euro, 129 total plus hammer and postage. 591875.l.jpg
    PHOENICIA, Berytus. Macrinus. 217-218 AD. Æ 25mm (9.56gm). Laureate head right / COL IVL AVG FEL, B-ER in exergue, Poseidon holding dolphin and trident, right foot on rock, standing left within hexastyle temple. BMC Phoenicia 167; SNG Copenhagen 113. 591858.l.jpg
    MESOPOTAMIA, Rhasaena. Trajan Decius. AD 249-251. Æ (27mm, 9.83g, 12h). Radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind / Eagle standing left with wreath in its beak within temple; below, forepart of river-god Chaboras swimming left. Castelin 70; SNG Copenhagen -.
    591820.l.jpg SYRIA, Seleucis and Pieria. Seleucia Pieria. Trajan. AD 98-117. Æ (26mm, 13.06 g, 12h). Laureate head right / Baetyl of Zeus Kasios within shrine seen in perspective; A to lower right. Butcher 52; BMC 36. 591974.l (1).jpg
    SYRIA, Cyrrhestica. Cyrrhus. Philip II. AD 247-249. Æ 29mm (15.88g, 6h). Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right / Zeus Kataibates seated facing below garlands, holding thunderbolt and scepter, eagle at his feet to left, within hexastyle temple with arched pediment; above, bull (Taurus) leaping right. Butcher 21 var. (bull leaping left); SNG Copenhagen 49 corr. (under Philip I, bull not described); BMC 34 corr. (bull described as ram; same rev. die [obv. not illustrated]). VF, brown patina.

Butcher notes that obverse dies of Philip for Cyrrhus are shared with Hierapolis, Zeugma, and Samosata and suggests that the coinage under his reign was struck at Antioch.
    591184.l.jpg
    IONIA, Ephesus. Hadrian. AD 117-138. Æ (23mm, 10.25 g, 6h). Laureate head right / Cult statue of Artemis Ephesia within tetrastyle temple. RPC III 2061. BMC 229; SNG von Aulock 1885. good fine, green patina,
    POST YOUR SAVOCA BLUE AUCTION WINS OR YOUR OTHER BARGAIN AUCTION WINS.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Finn235, Justin Lee, Sulla80 and 14 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

Agreed about Savoca Blue. The descriptions can be minimalist and some coins are mis-identified, but there's value to be had.

Here are a few I've got.

A little Kyme bronze - 0.93g, 10mm. SNG Von Aulock 1625.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Akragas Hemilitron. 14.96g, 25mm. HGC 2, 139.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

C. Maianius as. 23.28g, 32mm. Cr. 203/2.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ATB,
    Aidan.

4. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

I’ve always liked the Savoca Blue auctions. They always have a huge volume of coins and I’ve found some great bargains there (very fast shipping too). I got these two Byzantine coins from the auction today, less than 20 Euro each.

E298A6EC-875B-47C1-8BC3-FBE169486442.jpeg
    Leo VI The Wise, AD 886-912. Constantinople, Follis Æ, 27mm, 6.05g

61AF4202-D03C-4551-87FD-4ED069E34FD9.jpeg

Justin II and Sophia, AD 565-578, Nikomedia, Follis. 30mm, 11.71g.

5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Some of my favorite coins came from Savoca Blue Auctions. Here are a few I've picked up over the past few years:

Marcus Aurelius denarius (24 Euros):

Marcus Aurelius LIBERAL AVG V COS III denarius.jpg

Julia Domna denarius with a die clash on the reverse (20 Euro):

Domna LAETITIA standing denarius.jpg

Gordian and Tranquillina pentassarion (38 Euro):

Gordian III and Tranquillina Marcianopolis Tyche in temple.jpg

Claudius As (44 Euro):

Claudius LIBERTAS AVGVSTA as 2.jpg

And a couple dozen more.

6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Savoca Blue auctions are fun because of the incomplete (and not infrequently wrong) attributions... and the low starting prices, of course! I've picked up a few bargains and a couple that weren't bargains but were desirable and infrequently seen coins.

[​IMG]
    CILICIA, Flaviopolis. Domitian
    Æ 1/3 Assarion, 17 mm, 3.2 gm.
    dated CY 17 (89/90 CE)
    Obv: ΔΟΜЄΤΙΑΝΟC ΚΑΙCΑΡ; laureate bust of Domitian right, with slight drapery
    Rev: ΦΛΑVΙΟΠΟΛЄΙΤωΝ ЄΤΟVC ΖΙ; veiled, bearded and draped male bust of Kronos right; harpa to right
    Ref: RPC II 1760

[​IMG]
    CAPPADOCIA, Caesaraea
    Pseudo-autonomous issue, time of Trajan

AE 13 mm, 3.3 gm
    Obv: turreted and draped bust of Tyche or city goddess to right
    Rev: pyramid; ЄTIϚ (date) below; uncertain mark or object to left; MO-YΛ (I'm not sure of those letters and there may be more letters at ~12:00, mostly off flan)
    Ref: (pending)

[​IMG]
    TROAS, Dardanos
    c. 450-420 BCE
    AR obol; 9 mm, 0.56 gm
    Obv: cock standing left
    Rev: cross-hatch pattern
    Ref: Nomismata 3, 303; Demeester 98; SNG Ashmolean 1119 (all references unverified; I do not have copies of these reference books/catalogs)
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/chicken-waffles.333266/

I have a couple more but apparently I've never posted them here and I need to edit the images and do some research.

Orielensis, Limes, Finn235 and 11 others like this.
  7. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Won this one after losing to Clio on the same type. That one was in better condition, but I don't mind paying 8 times less for this one that is similar and a die match.
    ri256.jpg

8. Ancient Aussie

Those three look great, especially the Akragas, I missed that would have bid for sure if I had seen it.

9. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

10. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

Thanks, it was in their 29th December auction.

Ancient Aussie likes this.
  11. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting this.. I watched the Session 1 auction yesterday -it was my first "real-time" auction. I had a couple of pre-bids in and sat with my popcorn and beer. My bids were destroyed quickly (as expected) but it was an interesting experience.
    I was actually quite surprised that many coins with very low starting prices went unsold.
    I will feel a little more comfortable next time..

12. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

I wasn't able to be in the live bidding either of the past two days, so I'm super bummed at missing out on some super rare provincial portrait coins! I do love me some Savoca Blue wins though...

Athens tetradrachm.jpg
    imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-uUGdnVkmhzpnVP.jpg
    Arados phoenicia AE zeus galley.jpg Vijayanagar AR 10 ratti Harihara II.jpg imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-f9eEe50IBspWw.jpg Divus marcus aurelius eagle.jpg Antoninus pius caesar diana standing.jpg Vetranio hoc signo victor eris.jpg imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-DTWLlJp6ywwt.jpg imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-rPpb4kYUZQU.jpg

13. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I see a few coins I bid on up there! :shifty::D Great scores everybody!

I also enjoy Savoca Blue auctions, although I'm finding it increasingly hard to find bargains there. They've become awfully popular. (To some extent they may well be lowering prices on lesser coins through sheer volume! I wonder where they get all their stock...)

My best bargain from yesteryear's Savoca helped me win a very tough match in the Imperator tournament last year, and the coin now belongs to @TIF.

I did pick up a couple coins in the auction today. First, the 3 Graces for 34 euros (a pretty good deal IMO, though probably smoothed):
    591034.jpg

And a not-so-cheap (46 euro) A-Pi denarius which I wanted partly because it fills an early reign slot, but mostly for what appears to be pretty luscious toning:
    592138.jpg

Limes, Bing, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
  14. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice bargains, @Ancient Aussie. I didn't have the time to go through Savoca's massive catalogue of offerings this weekend, but I've picked up a few interesting coins in their past "Blue" auctions.

I guess it's not surprising that one of my pickups is the same type as @TIF's. :D
    Domitian - Cilicia Flaviopolis AE18 Kronos 2346.jpg

Another one I really like is this anepigraphic reverse Hadrian denarius.
    Hadrian - Anepigraphic 2801.jpg
    HADRIAN
    Rare. AR Denarius. 3.12g, 18.9mm. Rome mint, AD 134-138. RIC 294d; Sear 3551; BMCRE III p. 338, *. O: HADRIANVS AVG COS III P P, laureate head right. R: No legend, Hadrian standing right, wearing military garb, inverted spear in right hand, parazonium in left hand, left foot on crocodile (?).

They also have pricier coins in their "Silver" auctions, which is where I picked up this Sep Sev provincial.
    Septimius Severus - Pontos Herakleopolis 3081.jpg SEPTIMIUS SEVERUS
    AE Tetrassarion. 10.86g, 28.3mm. PONTUS, Heracleopolis (as Sebastopolis), dated CY 208 (AD 205/6). Amandry & Remy 17b; Voegtli type 4o. O: AY KAI Λ CЄ-ΠTI [...], laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right. R: CEBACTΟΠO H[PAKΛE]-O-ΠO, The Seventh Labour of Hercules : Hercules wrestling the Cretan Bull, in field, ЄT HC (date).

15. Ancient Aussie

Great portraiture on both coins, I can see why you both wen't after that type.

Draft saved Draft deleted